Hulu Developing Hardy Boys series

Started by Bigfootman, September 26, 2019, 09:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven

Oh, I recognize this actor. He was in Emma Fielding Mysteries at Hallmark Channel, playing as an FBI agent.  :D

Quote from: SkyWarp on June 02, 2020, 03:57:48 PM
The actor that is playing Fenton Hardy in the upcoming Hulu tv series gives an interview for his various work, including the upcoming Hardy Boys show.  The Hardy Boys part starts at the 17:45 mark
https://www.imdb.com/video/vi1249230617

A few highlights:

The brothers will be separated by age.
It will be 13 episodes, but one mystery.
Hulu wanted a show in a Riverdale or Stranger Things style.
Chet is in the show.
Fenton might get kidnapped.
Maybe released this summer (but this was recorded before Covid)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Hopefully this won't be like the current Nancy Drew series on the CW.

MacGyver

It looks like The Hardy Boys have been made younger on this show so I feel like it will be different and more aimed at kids. I could be wrong but that's just the feeling I'm getting, especially since Nelvana is producing it.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SkyWarp

The latest information I have found for this series is that it will debut later this year (perhaps fall at the earliest) according to a conference call report on June 26.  The part of interest is quoted here:

QuoteSeven new and returning series have been announced, including the long anticipated live-action mystery drama reboot of The Hardy Boys, which will debut on YTV this fall and on Hulu in the U.S. later this year.

MacGyver

Thanks for the update. I don't have Hulu so hopefully the series will eventually be available elsewhere, like on DVD.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SkyWarp

I just saw the trailer.  A lot of things going on here.  None of this is what I expected.  Not sure what to think yet.  I need to watch the trailer again.

tomswift2002

So looks like the show will be using the Casefiles logo.  I thought Frank might work, but Joe at 12, and that kid looks more like an 8 year old, so I'm not sure.  Especially the scene with the truck—-at 16 Frank would just be old enough to drive—-and here in Ontario you need a fully licensed driver next to you.  I don't know about in the States, but yeah I'm getting a feeling that the series is trying to adopt some of the original series and the Clues Brothers/Secret Files.  I think that's why in the books Frank & Joe are 18 & 17, since that way they are legal driver's wherever.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on November 09, 2020, 09:04:12 PM
So looks like the show will be using the Casefiles logo.  I thought Frank might work, but Joe at 12, and that kid looks more like an 8 year old, so I'm not sure.  Especially the scene with the truck—-at 16 Frank would just be old enough to drive—-and here in Ontario you need a fully licensed driver next to you.  I don't know about in the States, but yeah I'm getting a feeling that the series is trying to adopt some of the original series and the Clues Brothers/Secret Files.  I think that's why in the books Frank & Joe are 18 & 17, since that way they are legal driver's wherever.

Weren't they 15 and 16 in the original text? That I can see, but 12, no way will that work.

MacGyver

(I posted this on another thread but I'll just repost my thoughts here.)

Thanks for posting the trailer. I find it really interesting that the show is using The Hardy Boys Casefiles logo when it looks like it should be using the Clues Brothers logo.
Maybe they're trying to use the Tim Considine/Tommy Kirk model ala The Mickey Mouse Club? (Just in regards to the apparent height and age difference.)
I hope it will be better than the 2019 Nancy Drew in terms of morality but quality and story-wise, it looks rather iffy to me.

Raven

I'll certainly give it a try. It has a "Stranger Things" vibes to it. I noticed the cars looked like 70s/80s models to me, and the radio with the cassette deck.  :)

tomswift2002

Quote from: Katie on November 09, 2020, 10:09:54 PM

Weren't they 15 and 16 in the original text? That I can see, but 12, no way will that work.

They were 15 and 16 in the Original Texts from the 1920's, but since the 1930's, and even in the rewrites the boys were aged to 17 and 18 so that they could be legal drivers in any state or country.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on November 10, 2020, 08:34:04 AM
They were 15 and 16 in the Original Texts from the 1920%u2019s, but since the 1930%u2019s, and even in the rewrites the boys were aged to 17 and 18 so that they could be legal drivers in any state or country.

I just don't like the age gap. One year is fine, but this, even the adventure series seems better then this!

Quote from: Raven on November 10, 2020, 04:09:42 AMI'll certainly give it a try. It has a "Stranger Things" vibes to it. I noticed the cars looked like 70s/80s models to me, and the radio with the cassette deck.  :)

If they were 17 and 18 like in the casefiles, i mean they are using the logo from that series, then that would be fine! If they were doing a casefile series or something.

MacGyver

I'm still interested to check it out, of course. I just wish all these changes hadn't been made. I'd prefer a TV series that stayed true to the books and actually adapted the stories. A Casefiles-esque series would be cool but I kind of regard the 1990s Hardy Boys show as that, especially since the stars of that show were actually on the covers of a number of the books.
    I think a series based on the revised first 58, set somewhere in the '50s or '60s would be pretty neat.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on November 10, 2020, 05:08:59 PM
I'm still interested to check it out, of course. I just wish all these changes hadn't been made. I'd prefer a TV series that stayed true to the books and actually adapted the stories. A Casefiles-esque series would be cool but I kind of regard the 1990s Hardy Boys show as that, especially since the stars of that show were actually on the covers of a number of the books.
    I think a series based on the revised first 58, set somewhere in the '50s or '60s would be pretty neat.

Why are they using the Casefile logo, then, if this isn't a Casefile series?