#124 Mystery With A Dangerous Beat (29th Anniversary Review)

Started by tomswift2002, March 05, 2023, 02:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Pulished: February 1994
Publisher: Minstrel Books (1994-2002)
Author: Frances Lantz
Other Hardy's by Author: Casefiles #79 Danger Unlimited

Plot: The Hardys take the lead in a deadly rock 'n' roll jam!

When a rock star's life spins out of control, Frank and Joe spin into action.

On vacation in L.A., the Hardy boys landed a hot new gig -- running interference for Brian Beat, the main main in the Funky Four, the hardest driving dance band in America. In a world wired for danger, Brian has suddenly found himself under fire and on the run. He's caught in a web of flashing lights and lasers ... the perfect target for a deadly attack!

As his bodyguards, Frank and Joe are prepared to put themselves on the line. But the hits just keep on coming, and each new assault pushes Brian Beat closer to a final cut. The Hardys realize there's only one way to stop the star-stalker: turn up the volume, turn up the heat, and come out swinging in an awesome, all-out, rock 'n' roll rumble!

Review: It took me a while to finish this one.  It just wasn't that interesting, and unfortunately, the major symptom was that the bad guy was one of the band, and it was very obvious at the start. 

I remember reading Mystery With A Dangerous Beat back in the late-90's when I borrowed it from the library (the library had a 1st printing from 1994), and then I special ordered it with a bunch of other Hardy's around 2002, trying to get all the available Mystery Stories that were still in print at the time.  My copy turned out to be a 2nd printing of the book, but with a first printing cover, so I could tell that it wasn't that good of a seller in the series, if after 8 years, one of those crossover publication books was still available new at the time.  By crossover, I mean that when a book is printed, the publisher will usually print more covers than the internal papers, or vice versa, so that when they need to reprint the book, they can speed up the printing process.

Rating: 2/10
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

I remember pretty much nothing about Mystery With A Dangerous Beat, other than it had to do with rock 'n' roll music.
    I do want to note two things though. Surely Brian Beat was a stage name for the artist Frank and Joe are trying to protect, yes?
Also, I can't but think the Funky Four band name is inspired by Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, Mark Wahlberg's band that would have still been pretty popular in 1994.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"