The Hardy Boys - S1E2 - Where the Light Can't Find You

Started by SkyWarp, December 04, 2020, 10:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyWarp

I was worried that the second episode would be totally different and things might not go so well. 

But after watching the second episode, I am both relieved and still looking forward to another episode.   

We learn a little more about the "chums" in this episode as we continue the story line that was set up in the first episode. 

We learn that there is no Mr. Hooper.  Just mom Jesse Hooper and daughter Elizabeth Hooper.  Eliza"biff" and Joe continue to spend time together. 

Frank spends his time with Callie, Chet, and Phil.  Callie is still not that prominent, but Chet and Phil have more characterization rolled out for us.

We are told that Phil is about a year older than Joe. 

The big question in this episode, "What is up with Ezra?"  How does he fit in to this story?

It is definitely interesting to see all the 80's technology show up here and I think it actually helps these stories to unfold since we don't need to worry about the Internet, or mobile phones, or other things that have drastically changed mystery/detective shows since the time of Murder She Wrote.  :)

MacGyver

I have a few notes to offer on the second episode. It was still good and entertaining, especially as more of the mystery unfolds. The 1980s references are fun to see too. Shortly before hearing Cars By Gary Numan, we have an obvious reference to Ferris Bueller's Day Off when one of the characters gives a convoluted explanation for the relationship to her of the person who gave her information, much like Simone explained how she found out that Ferris passed out at 31 Flavors last night. The contact is then named as Shauna, the same name Jeannie calls herself in the police station.
    I also appreciated seeing a library book and due date card being utilized. The walkie talkies and surveillance methodology used is great to see.
   For those who have said Chet and Phil's portrayers should be switched, I can totally see that.
At the very end, Frank mentions a place called Demon's Paw; presumably a reference to The Mystery at Devil's Paw"?
    There may have been other things but that's all I caught. I'm enjoying the show pretty well so far.  :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SkyWarp

I have added the characters, places, and other things to the encyclopedia from this episode too.  But I have need of some help for a couple items. 

The hotel in this episode is named several times but I can't quite make out what it is they are saying.  It sounds something like "Dunderin Hotel".  Anyone have a better ear than me or see something that shows the name? 

the other question I have is with the name of the park in the middle of town, it is named by Elizabeth I believe while they are on the beach.  But I can't quite make out that name either, but it sounds something like "??? Creek Park".   

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Raven

Looking at the closed-caption, the park is called "Stoney Creek Park" and the hotel name is "Dundurin Hotel."

SkyWarp

Quote from: Raven on December 26, 2020, 05:05:51 AM
Looking at the closed-caption, the park is called "Stoney Creek Park" and the hotel name is "Dundurin Hotel."

Duh!  I can't believe I forgot about closed captioning.  Thank you very much!

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Chat and Phil needed to be switched, and what's up with the radios everywhere? Was the 80's really like that? I'm used to Casefiles Hardy Boys being from that era. Even they had computers, internet and cell phones!

SkyWarp

Quote from: TorchwoodCardiff on October 14, 2021, 04:24:00 PM
Chat and Phil needed to be switched, and what's up with the radios everywhere? Was the 80's really like that? I'm used to Casefiles Hardy Boys being from that era. Even they had computers, internet and cell phones!

There really wasn't any internet in the casefiles (at least not how we think of Internet).  There was not any cell phones either in the casefiles. 

MacGyver

There was the Internet in some form; that's technically been around since 1969. In Evil, Inc., Frank receives a modem to go online and contact The Network. Back then, Bulletin Boards were in use and it was mainly for the technology elites who had enough computer skills to do this. (The modem actually gets used in The Lazarus Plot.)
    Cell phones have technically been around since the '70s or '80s in the form of car phones. Cell phone use doesn't really come up in the Casefiles that I recall too much except for maybe the very last few ones. I know cell phones are fairly heavily used in one of the last Supermysteries- Operation: Titanic.
    And honestly, one thing I like about this Hardy Boys show is the reminder of what life was like in the '80s before the Internet and cell phones took such prominence in people's lives. I remember growing up in those times. I don't have anything against technology but it's nice to step back from it every now and then too.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on October 16, 2021, 12:00:04 AM
There was the Internet in some form; that's technically been around since 1969. In Evil, Inc., Frank receives a modem to go online and contact The Network. Back then, Bulletin Boards were in use and it was mainly for the technology elites who had enough computer skills to do this. (The modem actually gets used in The Lazarus Plot.)
    Cell phones have technically been around since the '70s or '80s in the form of car phones. Cell phone use doesn't really come up in the Casefiles that I recall too much except for maybe the very last few ones. I know cell phones are fairly heavily used in one of the last Supermysteries- Operation: Titanic.
    And honestly, one thing I like about this Hardy Boys show is the reminder of what life was like in the '80s before the Internet and cell phones took such prominence in people's lives. I remember growing up in those times. I don't have anything against technology but it's nice to step back from it every now and then too.

Yeah, the show does Joe more into the tech side, then Frank. I expected Frank to have that based on the Casefile's and SuperMysteries. I just expected this series to have Casefiles vibe to it.

MacGyver

I think the show is closer to the original series in some ways, though I also feel some of the Casefiles influence for sure- especially considering the main plot point of the first season. (i.e. Both this show and the Casefiles start off with Frank and Joe investigating the death of someone close to them.)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on October 16, 2021, 11:22:41 PM
I think the show is closer to the original series in some ways, though I also feel some of the Casefiles influence for sure- especially considering the main plot point of the first season. (i.e. Both this show and the Casefiles start off with Frank and Joe investigating the death of someone close to them.)

And the logo. Also, Sam Peterson, he was only in the Casefiles. JB Cox reminds me of that theft from the Casefiles that Joe sorta liked. Was it Christina?

MacGyver

Yeah- the logo and Casefiles characters are other elements. Are you thinking of Charity? Really a villain but kind of a rogue too that you almost want to cheer for too.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on October 18, 2021, 04:17:15 PM
Yeah- the logo and Casefiles characters are other elements. Are you thinking of Charity? Really a villain but kind of a rogue too that you almost want to cheer for too.

Oh yes, her! Like a female JB Cox. When I saw the logo I was like: are they going to finally make a Casefiles' TV show?, but no, that wasn't to be.

MacGyver

I think the 1995 The Hardy Boys show was fairly close to a Casefiles-esque show. This series is more of an amalgam of the classic original series books with some Casefiles influence and outside influences. (i.e. Riverdale to some degree, in my opinion)

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on October 16, 2021, 12:00:04 AM

Actually car phones have been around since the 1940's.  You can see one in Perry White's car in "The Evil Three",  from the 1950's "Adventures of Superman" episode.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca