#22 Trouble Island

Started by tomswift2002, July 17, 2020, 08:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

I was just on Wikipedia, and someone has put up that the 22nd book in the Adventures series will be called Trouble Island (in case the title sounds familiar, there was a Hardy Boys book released in 2003 as #180 of the Mystery Stories called Typhoon Island).  Now then the Wikipedia entry says that Trouble Island won't be released until February 16, 2021.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

tomswift2002

I just got "A Treacherous Tide" today.  I haven't read it yet, but judging from how short the last chapter is (Really, if they didn't use a ton of white space for the chapter heading, the whole chapter would've fit on one page, and there's no preview in the Hardcover for Island, in this 153 page book) and what the last chapter is, I think "A Treacherous Tide" and "Trouble Island" might be a 2-part story. 
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

Interesting- could be. Just curious- have you been getting the hardcover for the whole series? That's pretty cool. I just got one hardcover myself and have been getting the series in paperback. It's nice that the newest Hardy Boys series is back in hardcover though.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Yeah I've got the Hardcover for each series.  The Hardcovers for the Wanderer books are scarce now, so the Hardcovers for the Adventures will probably be scarce in a few years.  And the hardcovers only go through 1 print run before being discontinued, while the paperbacks are reprinted.

MacGyver

That's a good point. I just haven't been worried about getting the hardback though. I've been a bit disillusioned with the modern Hardy Boys books since the UB series.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Raven

Just received my copy of this book. It was a nice surprise to see the ad for the Hulu's Hardy Boys series inside the back cover of the book. :D

MacGyver

Cool! Nice cross promotional tie-in. :) 8)

tomswift2002

So it's been 2 years since I last read a Hardy Boys Adventure, so I've got the last 3 books in the "To Be Read" pile. 

Well I tried to read Trouble Island last night and this morning, and, seriously I can not get past the first 20 pages.  And where to start is hard, because there are so many problems in just the first 20 pages that it's clear this author had no clue how to write a book and there was a non-existent editor.

First off, even for the Adventures, the characters are so out of character.  Frank and Joe can both apparently drive, but they have the mentality of 7 to 8 year olds.  Then what's with their language?  They use language that borders on cursing! 

Then Aunt Trudy is downright rude in this book.  In other books she could be rude, but in a charming and polite way.  This book she is just ignorant and rude.

All in all I'm abandoning ship on this books

Rating: -20000000000000000000000 out of 10.

DO NOT READ!

MacGyver

I have largely abandoned ship for most all of the newer Hardy Boys books since 2005, when the Mystery Stories series ended. I still collect the Advdntures books for now- and eventually I may even read the first one- but I have a feeling I will probably selling the whole series as a set once it ends.
    The Hardy Boys books of today just don't seem to be nearly of the same quality they used to be in years past.

tomswift2002

Yeah I abandoned it in favor of Sabotage At Sports City!  Way better, even if it's not one of the better Mystery Stories.

MacGyver

Quote from: tomswift2002 on May 12, 2022, 01:06:51 PMYeah I abandoned it in favor of Sabotage At Sports City!  Way better, even if it's not one of the better Mystery Stories.
I've probably said this before but that's actually one of my favourite Mystery Stories! :D  8)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

It wasn't that bad (don't shoot me)!

MacGyver

Quote from: Katie on May 19, 2022, 09:13:43 PMIt wasn't that bad (don't shoot me)!
That's cool- everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions.  :)  8)