The Hardy Boys...the Final Chapter

Started by hardygirl847, October 19, 2010, 01:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardygirl847

Sometimes I randomly Google for Hardy Boys info...and I came across something that actually makes me mad. It's from 12 yrs ago...but still...How dare this person be so crude about my favorite characters?!

If you have a few moments to read this....check it out. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/05/AR2005120501092.html

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere on this site. It just ticks me off. So the creator of the Hardys didn't like them...and actually resented them in a way. Okay...well, don't call them simple and  DUMB! UGH! Anyways...thought I would share.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had a similar issue with Sherlock Holmes. He had written a number of stories for Sherlock Holmes but grew tired of it. He kept asking for more money of Strand Magazine to deter them but the publisher kept paying his price, so he kept writing the stories. He got to the point where he was sick of the character and after writing "The Final Problem" exclaimed something along the lines of, "Thank God I've killed the brute."
Of course, the British public still had a large demand for Sherlock Holmes stories though the Boer War in 1903 kinda distracted most everyone from that. But after Doyle spent time serving in that war with medical aid (he had trained as a doctor originally) and he wrote a book about his experiences- while recovering from that war, he became interested in the legends of the moors areas in England and came upon the idea of writing "The Hound of the Baskervilles" and it became an early adventure in the life of Sherlock Holmes. Eventually he wound up giving in to the pressure and easing back into writing more Sherlock Holmes and brought the character back in "The Adventure of the Empty House" and continued to write stories from there. Sure, he wrote some other books he's known for (mainly "The Lost World"), but he will always be known for Sherlock Holmes.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

However, with this article it's mainly talking about Leslie McFarlane and his growing disdain of The Hardy Boys. And I can understand it to some degree that he felt that it was beneath him as a serious writer but he had to do what he had to do to make some money. But I think he had the wrong attitude. Yes, he's mainly remembered for The Hardy Boys, but it's because he still did a good job with the books even if it wasn't his favorite thing to write. (Of course, maybe that's because of the character of Frank and Joe and the values they impart- for me, that's always been a strong thing I've taken from the books- as well as the mystery and action and adventure of course.)
I think if he had been able to embrace the series as his serious work he might have been able to enjoy it more.
But The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew and all these various kinds of juvenile children's series books have had these kinds of criticisms for years. Libraries refused to stock the books for the longest while because they didn't think they were high quality books. Sure, I can acknowledge that they're not quite on the level of the classics- of Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, etc.
But they are on the level of a classic measure for children's literature comparatively speaking for a lot of today's books. And they've been successful and enjoyable for 83 years- that's got to say something for The Hardy Boys. And if nothing else, they get kids interested in reading and even excited about it. And they certainly learn lots of great vocabulary (particularly if they're reading the original 58 books). And I think there is some good prose in the books. I think there's some great description in some of the books. They're not nearly as bad as some literary snobs might make them out to be. They're good, fun, clean, enjoyable books that provide great vocabulary, exciting mysteries and adventures and even impart good moral values. I'd say that makes for some pretty good literature. And I love reading them, so I don't really care what the critics think. 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

Very well put MacGyver!!! And I didn't know that about Sherlock Holmes' author. Also, very interesting.

I also don't care if the  "literary snobs" (as you said) liked it or not. Who said we were ever comparing  Shakespeare to  Hardy Boys or Charles Dickens???? The author of this article was clearly trying to put them in a category they do not belong. They are juvenile lit for crying out loud! And yes, like you said, 83 years and still going...that HAS to say something. Perhaps Leslie would feel differently if he knew what they have become and how loved they are. Frank and Joe DO have a moral and wholesome quality that is SO lacking in some current YA novels.

Something that can stand the test of time really is something to commend, not degrade.

I would seriously consider writing this fellow (haha) but it's been 17 yrs since he wrote that. I don't think it's really necessary. If he brought out his old Hardy Boys books and disliked them as an adult, but admired them as a child...well then I feel sad for him. I realize that there are some things I find completely lame now but I LOVED as a kid. Clarissa Explains It All on Nickelodeon and Captain Planet are two examples. But I still appreciate them for what they are. Oh, and they are NOTHING like the Hardy Boys. :) Just saying I can relate to that part a little.

To me, this article was a personal jab at something I love and feel passion about. I write about them, discuss them, read them, write my own stories about them, research them, read them, and watch them etc. Clearly that writer was bitter or perhaps doesn't know something good if it hit him on the head.

Plus, Leslie's own disdain for the boys only fueled his fire. It's upsetting to know that the person who started the Hardy Boys wasn't really happy to have to write them. Then again, some of these books were written during the Great Depression. No one was really happy then. He wanted to support his family by writing literary works of art but instead had to write children's books. I guess I would be a bit bitter too. Sorry Leslie, but I am glad you did. Hardy Boys have inspired many people, boys and girls, to read and write for DECADES! How can that not be success to be proud of??? It's a shame he died in the late 70s and that he felt that way. Like you said, MacGyver, if he was able to take a step back, he could have enjoyed them more.

I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

QuoteI realize that there are some things I find completely lame now but I LOVED as a kid. Clarissa Explains It All on Nickelodeon and Captain Planet are two examples. But I still appreciate them for what they are. Oh, and they are NOTHING like the Hardy Boys.  Just saying I can relate to that part a little.
Na na na na- na na na na......All right. All right. Just Do it. ;D 8)
Ha ha- I've never really watched Clarissa Explains It All, but I do have that theme song on a CD collection of TV theme songs, so I can immediately hear that theme song in my head. I think I may have seen one episode somewhere along the way- that will always be Melissa Joan Hart's classic! (Classic Nick back in the late '80s and early '90s- good stuff.)
And Captain Planet rules! I mean, he's our hero! He's gonna take pollution down to zero!
Go Planet! The power is yours! :) 8)
(This was just a classic '90s cartoon. I'm a pretty big fan of cartoons in general- many from the '80s, but I like many older and some newer ones too.)

hardygirl847

ROTFL!!!!

Well, yes, they are great for their time period and I remember loving them as a kid. However, I tried to watch Clarissa a few years ago and wondered why the heck I liked it! I like Melissa Joan Hart...She's been in some great shows. Currently she's in a show called Melissa and Joey with Joey Lawrence. It's quite funny actually.

Captain Planet IS a hero! But he has a green mullet and REALLY stinks at being a superhero. He was just a distraction for the Planeteers to save the day. I will always have a place in my heart for him, but he hasn't stood the test of time with me...sadly. I was so excited to find him on my TV but then laughed hysterically at how bad it was.

The theme song is catchy though and I find myself being able to sing it still. Weird how some of that stuff sticks with you!

SDLagent

Leslie McFarlane grew sick of the Hardys it is true but as is evident in that CBC Radio interview posted awhile back, he always (or eventually?) had a soft spot for them.

hardygirl847

Maybe the author of this article didn't know about that interview and based on things Leslie said before. Even if he wasn't thrilled about writing them, they did help support his family. For that alone, he should have a little soft spot for them. I would think anyways...

MacGyver

Quote! I like Melissa Joan Hart...She's been in some great shows. Currently she's in a show called Melissa and Joey with Joey Lawrence. It's quite funny actually.
Yep- Melissa Joan Hart has had pretty big hits with three sitcoms- Clarissa Explains It All, Sabrina, The Teenage Witch and Melissa & Joey- and they're all pretty good.

QuoteCaptain Planet IS a hero! But he has a green mullet and REALLY stinks at being a superhero. He was just a distraction for the Planeteers to save the day. I will always have a place in my heart for him, but he hasn't stood the test of time with me...sadly. I was so excited to find him on my TV but then laughed hysterically at how bad it was.

The theme song is catchy though and I find myself being able to sing it still. Weird how some of that stuff sticks with you!
Green mullets are awesome! Ha ha ha ;D
But yeah- you kinda had that Power Rangers syndrome- let the Planeteers solve stuff with their rings, but then when they can't get it on their own- usually Kwame comes in with- "Let our powers combine." (I can totally hear his voice saying that as I type it too. lol)- "Earth!" "Fire!" "Wind!" "Water!" "Heart!"- "By your powers combined, I am Captain Planet!" - "GO PLANET!" 8)
Same thing with Power Rangers wanting to pull out all the super megazords at the end (and I didn't really watch this show but a bit in passing- not a big fan)- If you have all this power available, why not just pull it out up front and be done with it?

hardygirl847

Green Mullets are outdated though. LOL But yes, why not pull out the big kahuna and save a lot of time?!

Remember...the POWER is YOURS!

Just for you.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcJI87u3DoQ&feature=related

MacGyver

Well, I see all kinds of hairstyles today- including a lot of mohawks! Wow- I remember those from the '80s- mainly being upon Mr. T's head. I usually feel like I should tell people still sporting mohawks today- "Hey! Thanks for keeping the '80s alive!" :D
(Which is cool because I love the '80s! What can I say? It's my childhood.) But I appreciate a lot of things from other time periods too.
And mullets are cool with me. But I don't really care that much overall- hair is hair and as long as it's not Hair, I'm fine with it. Help! It's The Hair Bear Bunch! ;D (I don't think they're related to The Brady Bunch though.)

MacGyver

QuoteRemember...the POWER is YOURS!

Just for you.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcJI87u3DoQ&feature=related
Awesome! Thanks for the link. :)

hardygirl847

Welcome MacGyver. Enjoy Captain Planet in all his green mullet glory. hehe