October 2010 Book Club Discussion- Dead of Night

Started by MacGyver, October 17, 2010, 04:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Thanks- I like to try to be as complete as possible- lol. :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

I don't know how you remember so much MacGyver!! :)

I definitely agree that Brother Against Brother has a darker tone. There are more on your list that I agree with too...well, of what I remember them. My memory is not as good as yours, I'm afraid.

Going in this direction seems to be the New Casefiles GN series. With the first book already setting up the series...I could definitely predict more "darker" themes if not with the boys themselves, but also with who they encounter in this series.

Very interesting!

I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

Mattie

MacGyver

Yeah, me neither really. God has just blessed me with the ability to remember all kinds of things- and sometimes I can remember really inane things too- haha. But other things I just have to go back and read up on.
Anyway- the New Casefiles Graphic Novel series is definitely a darker tone- but I kinda feel this was brought on by the whole "Twilight"- vampire and zombie craze (and I guess most any other supernatural phenomena would fit in there too). But even outside of that- the second title also looks kinda dark just because of the events happening- where the happy world of the Hardys is getting hit by a break up, where Frank and Joe are going separate ways. It should be interesting- reminds me a bit of the dynamics between Leonardo and Raphael in the "TMNT" movie.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

I LOVE TMNT!!!!

As for the Hardys...yes they are definitely going to be hitting some newer territory. I know Frank and Joe have squabbled in the past over little things, but the new GN series seems to making it into something much bigger. A real Brother Against Brother almost. With BAB being my favorite, I'm excited though to see what happens. Every family has issues and I suppose it's time for them to explore this area of the HB world. I just hope that they come back together in the end.

Leo is kinda like Frank and Raph is kinda like Joe....lol

I'm glad God has blessed you with a great memory. :) I think my main problem is that I am always trying to do too many things at once. I feel like I have ADHD sometimes! Hence my ramblings!

MacGyver, did you read Crawling with Zombies?

And yes, there is an element of trending going on....everyone is doing vamps, wolves, and zombies. It will blow over after awhile. Maybe. lol It also was released before Halloween. Either way, at least it was slightly different than what I've seen over and over. I was at least a tiny bit surprised when the zombie part was revealed.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

yeah, I'm sure most of it is because it is close to Halloween and because it's the "in" thing to do right now. I enjoy some supernatural-tinged mystery every now and then (I mean, that's pretty much the definition of The Three Investigators books to a large degree- although not every mystery is necessarily dealing with the supernatural)- but I do hope this won't be a permanent mode.
And no, I have not read Crawling with Zombies yet. I'm still trying to grab time to read Deadly Strategy! I will soon though. And as soon as I have money for the New Casefiles series, I'll start getting those.

hardygirl847

Well definitely try to check it out. Based on this book and the foreshadowing for the next one...I don't think the trend continues. One of my fave shows is Supernatural because they remind me a bit of Frank and Joe. That's about my limit to supernatural stuff though. I will watch things here and there...but that doesn't mean I'm super crazy about them. Sometimes it's more out of curiosity.

tomswift2002

Just finished Dead Of Night last night, and if Frank and Joe were real, they'd probably still be bone-tired this evening, considering that they wouldn't have had a chance to get any sleep till---oh---maybe 8 or 9 this morning.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Yeah, I would have to agree there- that was a nonstop adventure and it seems like it hardly let up for a second.

hardygirl847

An adrenaline rush can be a powerful thing though. Plus, sometimes you do what you have to do. Parents with little babies are a good example of being able to function on hardly any sleep. In this case, I would bet that adrenaline had more to do with it. Hopefully Aunt Gertrude let them sleep in the next day (although I don't think she was in this book).

tomswift2002

Well, Aunt Gertrude was in New York with Fenton for a family reunion, so maybe she wasn't home for a few days.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

hardygirl847

Yeah I remembered she wasn't there. That worked out well for the Assassins because they would have needed an altered Aunt to pose in her place.

Isn't there a Casefile that has a Fenton double?

MacGyver

There was that one time when Frank and Joe were watching TV and Joe pointed out, "Hey Frank- that frog on TV sounds just like Dad!" Frank sighed and replied, "Joe, that's a talking bear, not a frog. Can't you tell by his pilot's cap? As we all know, bears wear hats."

(Okay, not really- but kudos if you actually get the Disney/Muppets joke in there.) ;D

hardygirl847

I hang my head down in shame because I don't know that reference. My husband might know though. He knows way more about the Muppets than I do.

MacGyver

Well, the bear with a pilot's cap was referring to Baloo on Disney's Talespin. (Edmund Gilbert, the actor who portrayed Fenton Hardy on the 1970s The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries, also voiced Baloo on Talespin.)
The bit about the frog and bear was referring to Kermit the Frog and Fozzie Bear in The Great Muppet Caper, who claim to be twin brothers, which their editor can't see until Fozzie takes his hat off. Later on in the movie, a father and daughter walk by Kermit on a walk in the park and the daughter comments, "Look, Daddy- a bear." The father corrects her saying, "No, that's a frog. Bears wear hats." ;D
Sorry- couldn't resist making the joke on two connections there. Unfortunately, I'm usually the only one who gets these kinds of jokes- lol. But anyway- if you haven't seen that TV series or movie- go watch both as soon as you can.  :) 8)