What kind of medical training do Frank and Joe have?

Started by Hardy Boys UB Fan, January 25, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

If the reader can understand the story without reading the scene, cut-it! If it doesn't advance the plot it doesn't belong in the story.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: SDLagent on January 28, 2011, 11:23:55 PM
If the reader can understand the story without reading the scene, cut-it! If it doesn't advance the plot it doesn't belong in the story.

Yeah. That helps. I've wondered why when I read stuff on Fanfiction.net there's a lot of scenes in some stories that don't make sense in the story. They don't seem to advance the plot and it gets confusing.  ???

hardygirl847

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on January 29, 2011, 09:39:30 AM
Yeah. That helps. I've wondered why when I read stuff on Fanfiction.net there's a lot of scenes in some stories that don't make sense in the story. They don't seem to advance the plot and it gets confusing.  ???

oh no! I hope it's not one of mine! lol But seriously, you can solve that whole issue with one simple sentence. If you feel like people will call you out and wonder how they got that training or whatever....you can weave it in there fairly easily.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: hardygirl847 on January 29, 2011, 06:18:28 PM
oh no! I hope it's not one of mine! lol But seriously, you can solve that whole issue with one simple sentence. If you feel like people will call you out and wonder how they got that training or whatever....you can weave it in there fairly easily.

No. It's not you! :) How could I solve it with one simple sentence?

hardygirl847

lol I hope not! :)

You could say something as simple as...

Using their EMT background/training/knowledge, Frank and Joe saved the girl from the explosion.

That gets the main idea out there as well as giving readers a heads up that they are capable of whatever you are having them do.

I guess it depends on the context of things too. Feel free to PM me  to talk about this more.

Also, I tried to PM you about your signature. I just checked Amazon about the new Alex Rider series. It says it's the final mission!!! :( But it comes out a week after the Hardy Boys graphic novel does. I'm soooo excited!!
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

QuoteIf the reader can understand the story without reading the scene, cut-it! If it doesn't advance the plot it doesn't belong in the story.
Very well said. 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

Thanks. I remember that from a few books on writing.

hardygirl847

As true as that is, I know I've read plenty of books that had unnecessary scenes.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: hardygirl847 on January 30, 2011, 12:11:40 AM
As true as that is, I know I've read plenty of books that had unnecessary scenes.

Yeah and then it's like, "Why did they put that in there? That made no sense whatsoever!"  ??? :-\

MacGyver

Well, sometimes you get into the "necessary evil" territory, where a scene or two might have been thrown in just to appeal to a certain audience or appease a particular expectation or just to lengthen the story to make it fit a required page count, etc. No, it's not really good writing, but I'm sure it happens sometimes- particularly with series books that follow a set formula.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: MacGyver on January 28, 2011, 09:04:00 PM
I can generally readily accept that Frank and Joe have gotten all the basic medical training they can get and perhaps even some more advanced than one would normally expect for a teenager.

How much medical training does a normal teenager have? ;D
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

MacGyver

Probably none. But it's possible someone might take a CPR course, particularly if they worked as a lifeguard, which is one job that normal teenagers might have. I guess it just depends really. I guess the point is that Frank and Joe are exceptionally well trained in medicine comparatively speaking.

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: MacGyver on January 31, 2011, 12:59:23 PM
Probably none. But it's possible someone might take a CPR course, particularly if they worked as a lifeguard, which is one job that normal teenagers might have. I guess it just depends really. I guess the point is that Frank and Joe are exceptionally well trained in medicine comparatively speaking.

Well I guess I'm a normal teenager, and I'm CPR certified, and I've taken a few advanced first aid classes and a lifeguarding class.
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on January 31, 2011, 12:59:23 PM

Yeah. They sure are! ;D 8)

MacGyver

QuoteWell I guess I'm a normal teenager, and I'm CPR certified, and I've taken a few advanced first aid classes and a lifeguarding class.
Very cool! 8)