The Hardy Boys - S3E1 - A Strange Inheritance

Started by SkyWarp, July 31, 2023, 07:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyWarp

Okay, there is a lot to unpack in this episode.  I feel like I need to go back and watch both seasons 1 and 2.  They have brought back various characters and branched off with several new ones.  I feel almost lost at first.  But that may just be my rusty memory on who all these people are. 

But even with my confusion at the beginning, I am still hooked and interested to see where this goes.  There are still story threads dangling from last season and they have new ones introduced for this season.  I hope they can answer them all in this shortened season 3. 

My concerns after the first episode are with the Frank/George story line.  I hope that gets solved quickly, so we can have "normal" Frank for most of this season.

Drew Darrow?  Really?  Perhaps this will lead somewhere unexpected, but if not, why not just use the name we have all been expecting?  It certainly shouldn't be a rights thing.

I really hope they solve Elizabeth's mother's storyline and not leave it hanging. 

As soon as I saw the painting in the background of the video, I knew that was a reference to the House on the Cliff.  Of course just a few scenes later they even used that name. 

The credits give an appearance for Donald Dukay. I didn't see him in the episode though.  Can anyone else let me know where he showed up?  Maybe the Physics class or Funeral? 

MacGyver

I just got through watching this episode! Wow! This was really good. Once again, I'm amazed by all the subplots running together simultaneously that are slowly being pulled together.
   I love the reference to The House on the Cliff! I'm glad to see some connections still made to the books. I also appreciate the direct reference to River Heights. We know who Drew Darrow moat likely is on this show but I suspect the concurrently running Nancy Drew TV show prevented the Nancy Drew name from being used. I guess that's okay since even The Hardy Boys aren't totally themselves right now. And the ending was surprising indeed; also funnily enough, reminiscent of a scene with Frank and Joe on The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries (1977-1979 TV show)
    I also thought Drew's music style and headphones use almost pushed things into the early '90s but the rest of the technology in the show- from answering machines for the telephones and top-loading VCRs- makes it seem still firmly set in the 1980s.
   I am excited to see what happens next!
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"