Here Come The Hardy Boys (1969 Album)

Started by tomswift2002, June 10, 2022, 10:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Released: 1969
Formats Released on: Vinyl, 4-Track Reel-To-Reel, Cassette, 8-Track (1969), Digital (2011)
Billboard Peak:#199 (November 15, 1969)

So I just got the cassette version today and I've had the 4-track Reel-To-Reel (plays at 3 3/4 ips)for a while, plus in 2011 I downloaded the iTunes version, however I understand it is on Spotify and other streaming sites.  I've also got a LP copy on the way, and I'm still looking for the 8-track.

Anyway I was comparing my cassette, R-T-R & iTunes Version and I noticed that the track ordering is different on the different formats.

Digital is:
Here Come The Hardys
Those Country Girls
One Time in A Million
That's That
Be My Baby
Sink or Swim
Namby-Pamby
My Little Sweet Pea
Sha-la-la
Feels So Good
Love and Let Love

Reel-To-Reel:
(Sequence A)
Sink or Swim
Namby-Pamby
My Little Sweetpea
Sha-La-La
Feels So good
Love and Let Love

(Sequence B)
Here Come The Hardys
Those Country Girls
One Time In A Million
That's That
Be My Baby

Cassette:
(Program 1)
Here Come The Hardys
Those Country Girls
Feels So Good
Love and Let Love
Sha-La-La
Sink or Swim

(Program 2)
Namby-Pamby
Be My Baby
Love Train
One Time In A Million
That's That
My Little Sweetpea

Talk about knowing an album!  And to see "Love Train" appear here on cassette (and according to Discogs it's also on the 8-track of HCTHB) first before appearing on Wheels, sure lends credence to the possibility that "Hello Girl" is on the Wheels 8-track!

https://youtu.be/CfJrB7IQmnM
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

That's interesting to see the different set list for the different releases of the album. Usually, The order of the songs on a music album is fairly important to the band to present their product in the intended way they want listeners to hear it- and it can also have a unique impact on the listeners as well. One of my favourite bands, Switchfoot, often has opener and closer songs that musically and/or lyrically tie back into each other so that when you play the CD and let it naturally repeat at the end ofthe album, it all flows together really seamlessly.
    It's interesting that this apparently wasn't a big concern for The Hardy Boys band. One of these days I may have to get the digital albums; I can definitely dig this groovy "bubblegum" music. Maybe I'll get that Shaun Cassidy greatest hits CD while I'm at it.  :)  8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

All of Shaun's albums have been released digitally and on CD-R via Amazon's MOD.  The only exception is his 1989 Memory Girl single (or it was released on CD in 1989 in Europe but has been unavailable since.)

But I was watching a documentary on the history of the Phillips cassette recently and I remember there being a mention that in the early days of cassettes they would rearrange the tracks or pop in bonus tracks in order to have equal length on both sides.
(I think it was this video)
https://youtu.be/k5VByht1j1s

VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

Quote from: tomswift2002 on June 12, 2022, 05:27:00 AMAll of Shaun's albums have been released digitally and on CD-R via Amazon's MOD.  The only exception is his 1989 Memory Girl single (or it was released on CD in 1989 in Europe but has been unavailable since.)

But I was watching a documentary on the history of the Phillips cassette recently and I remember there being a mention that in the early days of cassettes they would rearrange the tracks or pop in bonus tracks in order to have equal length on both sides.
(I think it was this video)
https://youtu.be/k5VByht1j1s

I suppose that would make sense to try to keep cassette tape sides equal in length. Of course, I'm pretty sure I own a number of tapes where the producers didn't really bother to do that.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on June 12, 2022, 05:42:25 PMI suppose that would make sense to try to keep cassette tape sides equal in length. Of course, I'm pretty sure I own a number of tapes where the producers didn't really bother to do that.

They kind of stopped that in the 80's & 90's and you usually saw a message saying one side was longer to ensure smoother playback.

But with 8-tracks they had a limited length to deal with, so they either split the song in 2 or rearrange the songs so that all the songs fit.

MacGyver

Quote from: tomswift2002 on June 12, 2022, 08:50:28 PMThey kind of stopped that in the 80's & 90's and you usually saw a message saying one side was longer to ensure smoother playback.

But with 8-tracks they had a limited length to deal with, so they either split the song in 2 or rearrange the songs so that all the songs fit.
Yeah- I'm pretty sure I recall seeing such a message on those cassette tapes. I didn't know that about 8-tracks though.

tomswift2002

There's a reason people collect 8-tracks.  In a lot of cases the 8-tracks had special mixes or some songs that cross faded on the LP & cassette didn't on the  8-track.

MacGyver

You mean it's not just for the unique sound of an 8-track tape?  :D
I have run across them a number of times at thrift stores and such but I don't have a player and don't have a desire to start a collection. That technology passed by me altogether as a kid.

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on June 13, 2022, 11:42:37 PMYou mean it's not just for the unique sound of an 8-track tape?  :D
I have run across them a number of times at thrift stores and such but I don't have a player and don't have a desire to start a collection. That technology passed by me altogether as a kid.

Besides the normal stereo 8-track there were also Quadrophonic 8-tracks (same as Quadrophonic LPs) that were the first instance of surround sound in the home.  For some artists, the Quad 8-tracks or LPs are the only way to get a 4.0 surround mix.  One group, the Carpenters, had Quad albums put out, but they were mixed by studio engineers and never approved by the group, so those mixes have never been released digitally.

https://youtu.be/UORvNxHV_XI