#24 Scene Of The Crime (30th Anniversary Review)

Started by tomswift2002, June 16, 2019, 07:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Scene Of The Crime
Published: February 1989
Author: Unknown (as of June 2019)

Plot: Danger pays

Frank and Joe go undercover as apprentice stuntmen on a major movie. They've been asked to investigate a number of serious accidents that have delayed filming. Right from the first scene the action gets rough. Frank's stunt misfires, and the next one turns into a flaming disaster.

The Hardys are certain it's deliberate sabotage. But the young detectives find the real drama is off the set when they become involved in a bizarre plot to steal a fortune. Unfortunately, they get themselves arrested! The brothers must break out of jail fast -- or lose their only chance to be cleared of a million-dollar frame-up.

Review:  I'm about to read it, so I'll post a review in a few days.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

tomswift2002

Review:  Frank and Joe are in Newbridge, which is located 300 miles south of Bayport in this book.  No state is given, so I'm wondering if they are in Connecticut or one of the Carolina's.  A major Hollywood movie is filming there and there have been a number of incidents on set.  The director hires Fenton and the boys, however, for most of the book, Fenton is in Southern California checking out leads there, while Frank & Joe are undercover on the set as stuntmen.

Overall, I wasn't that impressed.  Sure there was action, but Frank and Joe seemed out of character a few times.  Also I kept thinking of "Web Of Horror" which is probably the best Hardy Boys story to be set on a movie/TV show set, and even though "Scene Of The Crime" came out before Web, it doesn't come close.

Rating: 6/10
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

tomswift2002

In terms of timeline, "Scene Of The Crime" seems to take place nearly a year after "Disaster For Hire" (which took place in September), as Scene takes place during summer vacation in July/August.  Whereas it seems as if "A Crime For Christmas" (December) and "Shockwaves" (March) are the only cases that the Hardy's seem to handle in that 10-11 month span.  With the "Nancy Drew Files", #32 'High Marks For Malice" (which was also publushed in February 1989) it takes place in between December 28 and 31 (the book mentions that the last chapter occurs on New Year's Eve").

SkyWarp

What is the name of the girl pictured on the cover of this book?