How many of your friends read Hardy Boys?

Started by SDLagent, August 14, 2008, 04:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

too early- you gotta read it again this month. ;D
lol- j/k. But do participate on the book of the month club thread if you like. I'll post one for "Dead of Night" somewhere around Oct. 15th. or so.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Mattie

hardygirl847

MacGyver...Halloween isn't my favorite holiday and scary movies are not my fave either. But a little here and there is okay. Like you said, the book adds to the effect of the season. :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

Quote from: MacGyver on September 30, 2010, 05:29:12 PM
well, not that I really celebrate Halloween- but I figured might as well read a scarier book in October just because of Halloween and some out there do celebrate it. I don't care much for the roots of the holiday and I'm not a big fan of scariness and horror movies and such in general (but some is fun sometimes ;D)- but I do like to read "Dead of Night" around this time of year- it adds to the effect.

Yeah, well, the roots of Christmas aren't that great, either. You can't let it bother you.

MacGyver

the pagan roots with Saturnalia- yes. But that's precisely why Constantine declared December 25th. to be the day to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ so that the earlier pagan rituals done during that time could be supplanted by something better.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

Well, Halloween was meant to scare away evil spirits. That's a good thing, too, right? LOL

MacGyver

yes, I guess so. My theology just takes issue with the methods and hence my queasiness with it. But if kids want to wear costumes and go around the neighborhood and get candy, it's fine with me. A lot of churches do "fall festivals" around that time of year which basically serve as their alternative to Halloween. Although going to such events at church and getting candy in lieu of trick-or-treating at random is probably safer knowing you can trust the people at church. Not saying that you can't necessarily trust your neighbors, but still- I don't think I'd go up to a random house with someone I don't know and ask for candy. You can never be too careful...

Jokerette

I know that all you need is love, but I believe an Xbox Kinnect is pretty essential too, am I right?

SDLagent

Quote from: MacGyver on October 01, 2010, 04:28:07 PM
yes, I guess so. My theology just takes issue with the methods and hence my queasiness with it. But if kids want to wear costumes and go around the neighborhood and get candy, it's fine with me. A lot of churches do "fall festivals" around that time of year which basically serve as their alternative to Halloween. Although going to such events at church and getting candy in lieu of trick-or-treating at random is probably safer knowing you can trust the people at church. Not saying that you can't necessarily trust your neighbors, but still- I don't think I'd go up to a random house with someone I don't know and ask for candy. You can never be too careful...

Forget the costumes! Just give me the candy and I'm good.

No, actually, I had a lot of fun when I was younger trick-or-treating. I know some people who wont let their kids do it, but I think it's pretty harmless fun.

Jokerette

i suppose, other than rotting kid's teeth out, the candy collecting is not, in and of itself, bad. it's just all the spirits and stuff. we know that they are real, but we don't need to celebrate them.
I know that all you need is love, but I believe an Xbox Kinnect is pretty essential too, am I right?

SDLagent

Nobody celebrates "spirits" on Halloween. Not for a few hundred years, anyway.

MacGyver

Yeah- in general, I don't really care that much about or make that big of a deal about it. But I do take note of the origins so I am a bit leery of it for that reason. But that aside- I still wouldn't be taking any kids of mine (if God should decide to bless me with a wife and kids in the future) to strangers to ask for candy- I just feel safer doing an activity at a trusted venue, such as the church.

Mattie

We should change this to "Do u believe in halloween and its meaning?"

SDLagent

Mattie