#52 Uncivil War (31st Anniversary Review)

Started by tomswift2002, June 27, 2022, 07:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Published: June 1991, September 1998 (in The Hardy Boys Collector's Edition #2)
Publisher: Archway Paperbacks (1991-1997) (1998-2001)
Author: Unknown as June 2022

Plot: A little bit of danger can be fun——to much can be fatal!

Hit shots!

Historian Andrew Donnell invites the Hardy's to Tennessee to join in a reenactment of the battle of Shiloh—-Frank in Confederate gray, Joe in Union blue.  But soon both boys are seeing red.  Rifles are raised, shots ring out, and Donnell falls to the ground——cut down by real bullets!

The Hardy's check out the nearby Civil War theme park, where their fun soon turns to terror.  The tunnel of love, the hall of mirrors, and the Rebel Yell roller coaster have been rigged to thrill the boys to death.  The war games are over, the true battle has begun—-and Frank and Joe are directly in the line of fire!

Review: I remember as a kid not enjoying this book.  Otherwise I don't really remember it.

But as I was typing out the back cover write-up, I was reminded of the The Secret of the Lost Tunnel.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

tomswift2002

Of course if S&S ever reissued Uncivil War I wonder if they would alter the cover artwork as it features two Confederate flags on the front cover.  (The UK version doesn't feature the flag.)  In 1991 the Confederate flag was as controversial as it is now in 2022. 

VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

tomswift2002

I finished Uncivil War this morning.  Even now decades later I still didn't like it.  The author kind of had a half-baked idea and never really figured out what to do with it.  Even the resolution I was unsure about, as even the sheriff had no idea what to charge the crooks with.  And I was still wondering what the whole plot was about.

Rating: 3/10

MacGyver

Quote from: tomswift2002 on June 27, 2022, 09:08:00 AMOf course if S&S ever reissued Uncivil War I wonder if they would alter the cover artwork as it features two Confederate flags on the front cover.  (The UK version doesn't feature the flag.)  In 1991 the Confederate flag was as controversial as it is now in 2022. 

I would hope it would stay on the cover only because it would make sense for historical purposes.
(And I say that as one who is not a fan of the Confederate flag by any means and who has long spoken against it because of what it symbolizes for so many people.)
    I don't remember a ton about this book but I liked it fairly well, probably because of the historical aspect, as I'm a fan of history.
And Uncivil War makes for a pretty neat book title too.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

It's funny but in both Uncivil War and The Secret of the Lost Tunnel, Joe fires some sort of gun with live ammunition.  And in both books, Joe's "official age" is 17 (but in Uncivil War Joe is closer to 19, with UW taking place between the events of Disaster For Hire & Scene of the Crime).