Evil, Inc.

Started by Bigfootman, April 25, 2022, 12:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfootman

I've been reading Evil, Inc, and it definitely feels like it was written by the same person as Dead On Target. The Grey Man's description is identical, the Grey Man calls the Hardys idiots in both books, and the characterizations seem pretty much the same.  I'm wondering if Bill McCay wrote Evil, Inc.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

MacGyver

I'm curious; do you have a Canadian printing of Evil, Inc. that renders Frank and Joe's Network contact as "The Grey Man"? In American printings he is rendered as "The Gray Man" but it would make sense if some things are Anglicized in other parts of the world.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Bigfootman

Quote from: MacGyver on April 25, 2022, 12:49:29 PMI'm curious; do you have a Canadian printing of Evil, Inc. that renders Frank and Joe's Network contact as "The Grey Man"? In American printings he is rendered as "The Gray Man" but it would make sense if some things are Anglicized in other parts of the world.
Nope, thats just how im used to typing the word. My mistake.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on April 25, 2022, 12:49:29 PMI'm curious; do you have a Canadian printing of Evil, Inc. that renders Frank and Joe's Network contact as "The Grey Man"? In American printings he is rendered as "The Gray Man" but it would make sense if some things are Anglicized in other parts of the world.

Between 1987 and December 1989, all Hardy Boys books were published by Paperjacks here in Canada and can be identified by a small Maple Leaf on the front with "Printed In Canada" inside the Maple leaf.  The copyright page will also say "Printed in Canada".  As of January 1990 (and Casefiles #35 "The Dead Season"), Distican (now Simon & Schuster Canada) took over distribution-only, all publishing took place in the US.

But Paperjacks had very limited publishing rights here in Canada.  All they could really do was put the maple leaf on the cover, their address on the copyright page and an ad for their "Books by mail" program. Otherwise they could not change any text, even to Anglicize.   
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Quote from: Bigfootman on April 25, 2022, 12:51:58 PMNope, thats just how im used to typing the word. My mistake.
Okay. You didn't make any mistake; that's a perfectly correct spelling of "grey". It's just not the one used in the book. ;)
I wonder if the UK prints changed things like that in the Casefiles. I know Collins and Armada, et. al. did with the original Mystery Stories series. I grew up with the British style of English so I'm totally fine with either "grey" or "gray". I was just curious. :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Quote from: tomswift2002 on April 25, 2022, 04:29:28 PMBetween 1987 and December 1989, all Hardy Boys books were published by Paperjacks here in Canada and can be identified by a small Maple Leaf on the front with "Printed In Canada" inside the Maple leaf.  The copyright page will also say "Printed in Canada".  As of January 1990 (and Casefiles #35 "The Dead Season"), Distican (now Simon & Schuster Canada) took over distribution-only, all publishing took place in the US.

But Paperjacks had very limited publishing rights here in Canada.  All they could really do was put the maple leaf on the cover, their address on the copyright page and an ad for their "Books by mail" program. Otherwise they could not change any text, even to Anglicize.   

Okay. Thank you for the further information on that. I have one such Canadian printing of The Hardy Boys Casefiles for Street Spies.
So I was aware of those printings but I didn't know all those background details.

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on April 26, 2022, 08:53:26 AMOkay. Thank you for the further information on that. I have one such Canadian printing of The Hardy Boys Casefiles for Street Spies.
So I was aware of those printings but I didn't know all those background details.

S&S consolidated it's lines here in Canada around 1986.  In the early 80's 80's the adult lines were handled by Paperjacks, so you'll see early 80's Star Trek novels with the maple leaf.  But in the early 80's General Publishing handled S&S's kids lines until 1985.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca