The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers: The New Case Files

Started by tomswift2002, February 18, 2010, 06:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

Quote from: Olivia on December 15, 2010, 08:01:10 PMMaybe everyone should stay single. Belinda, Callie, Vanessa and Ned are all dead weights, anyway. Placeholders. (Half-kidding).

Not to mention Iola. And whoever Bess and George's boyfriends our. Fred and Dick?

hardygirl847

I'd say "keep it professional" but ND does have more of a romantic vibe than HBs. So...who knows? However, with a short amount of space, huge fight between the brothers, AND a mystery...will they even be able to fit that in?!

Let's hope not.

The other characters are expendable, yes...but sadly they're not even in the newer stories. Keeping them single is fine with me or get them back with their original love interests. They are CLASSIC characters, after all.

Iola is a character I'm not that attached to though. I started with the Casefiles, and she was killed. So...she's not that important to me. Sorry Iola fans! It's nothing against her.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

Iola was still around throughout the Digests and of course in the Originals. That was the whole reason that the Casefiles stood apart- it so drastically changed the Hardy Boys' world by having someone close to them die like that. And Joe certainly carried the pain and guilt for it for quite a while. I think it would have a different and bigger impact for someone who grew up with the status quo of Frank with Callie and Joe with Iola throughout the Originals and Digests for 60 years and then have something like Dead on Target rock that world. I guess I can appreciate both aspects of it because I grew up reading the Original 58 books first alongside the Digests and then the Casefiles as well as those started being released.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

Yeah, I was just shocked when I heard Iola died in the Casefiles. It actually put me off reading the series for awhile because it was just so unsettling.

Quote from: hardygirl847 on December 17, 2010, 08:42:30 PM
I'd say "keep it professional" but ND does have more of a romantic vibe than HBs. So...who knows? However, with a short amount of space, huge fight between the brothers, AND a mystery...will they even be able to fit that in?!

Let's hope not.

The other characters are expendable, yes...but sadly they're not even in the newer stories. Keeping them single is fine with me or get them back with their original love interests. They are CLASSIC characters, after all.

Well, the Frank/Nancy romance has been around for over 30 years so it's pretty classic, it's self.

hardygirl847

I can definitely see why Iola's death would be  unsettling. Having read some of the Originals, Digests, etc....I actually had to get know her for the first time. In a way, it was weird to me as it may be weird NOT to have her in the Casefiles.

I am still a diehard Casefile fan. I LOVE them the most...BUT I have come to love the Originals, Digests, Gns, etc...mainly because my love for Frank and Joe has only grown. :)

Spencer,

Yes, I guess you're right...Frank/Nancy has been around for a long time as well. My favorite ND was Pamela Sue Martin. I was okay with her being with Parker (even though I LOVE HIM)...For some reason though, I can't see Frank with her in the books. I haven't put my finger on why it is though...

I guess we'll find out in less than 3 months if they are going to start that subplot.

To me, it seems like a LOT for one book to introduce though. Maybe along the lines, they will incorporate it. Maybe Joe and Frank are at odds so it forces Frank and Nancy to work together causing them to flirt and start a romance.

I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on December 18, 2010, 04:18:23 PM
Well, the Frank/Nancy romance has been around for over 30 years so it's pretty classic, it's self.

Not to mention that Frank and Nancy did kiss in The Last Resort (if the book had been written for an older adult audience, I think the author might've gone even farther than that).
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Olivia

The ND romance stuff is mostly in the '80's-'90's era, but it seems to be a little more in the stand-alone ND from what I recall (i.e. Files). Of course it's there in the crossovers too.

The latest ND does mention Ned and stuff, but it's more G than PG or PG-13-ish.

The graphic novels are different from Girl Detective and Undercover Brothers (even though some specific elements do transfer over e.g. Bess knowing mechanics, etc.), plus "The New Case Files" are just that, a new series, so we'll have to wait and see.

Quote from: hardygirl847 on December 18, 2010, 11:29:07 PM
To me, it seems like a LOT for one book to introduce though. Maybe along the lines, they will incorporate it. Maybe Joe and Frank are at odds so it forces Frank and Nancy to work together causing them to flirt and start a romance.

I'm not sure how they'll fit it in either if they got that route. That's a good guess that it might come a bit later. Maybe it'll just a subtle/small thing here and there, who knows.

BTW, I think we're opposites when it comes to the "girl" situation. If I had to choose pairings, I like Frank/Nancy and Joe/Iola. In this case, it looks like I'm with the unrequited love thing lol. That's okay though 'cause Frank and Joe are the priority anyway, not the other stuff (but I'm glad to hear that you accept PSM & Parker).

SDLagent

I don't know if they'll be too much romance between Nancy and Frank in the first crossover but they might set things up for the next one. And I'm pretty sure they'll be a next one. If With the Hardy Boys is successful.

hardygirl847

Quote from: Captain Santa Claus on December 19, 2010, 05:37:24 PM
Not to mention that Frank and Nancy did kiss in The Last Resort (if the book had been written for an older adult audience, I think the author might've gone even farther than that).

I am assuming that Frank wasn't with Callie then? lol I have to read this one now while I'm at my in-laws just to see this part. Sorry...maybe I'm too protective of Frank or just like how it is in the Casefiles too much...but Nancy just doesn't do it for me. :( I can see why they would be attracted to each other, especially Parker and Pamela.

Either way, it's now on my list of reading material.

Quote from: Olivia on December 19, 2010, 05:39:47 PM
The ND romance stuff is mostly in the '80's-'90's era, but it seems to be a little more in the stand-alone ND from what I recall (i.e. Files). Of course it's there in the crossovers too.

The latest ND does mention Ned and stuff, but it's more G than PG or PG-13-ish.

The graphic novels are different from Girl Detective and Undercover Brothers (even though some specific elements do transfer over e.g. Bess knowing mechanics, etc.), plus "The New Case Files" are just that, a new series, so we'll have to wait and see.

I'm not sure how they'll fit it in either if they got that route. That's a good guess that it might come a bit later. Maybe it'll just a subtle/small thing here and there, who knows.

BTW, I think we're opposites when it comes to the "girl" situation. If I had to choose pairings, I like Frank/Nancy and Joe/Iola. In this case, it looks like I'm with the unrequited love thing lol. That's okay though 'cause Frank and Joe are the priority anyway, not the other stuff (but I'm glad to hear that you accept PSM & Parker).

Ok...lots to respond to, lol :) Hopefully I don't forget anything.

I don't read enough ND to know how much romance is in there, so thanks for the insight on that one. I think the majority of both HBs and ND are the mysteries that they solve. Yes, it's fun and cute or even makes them a more well-rounded character to have love interests. However, it is really secondary. I fell in love with Frank and Joe because they are kick ass detectives. I enjoy the adventure, the humor, and the danger. I could care less if they have a girlfriend or not. However, I think it adds to Frank's character that he's a loyal, faithful, dependable type of guy. Joe's girlfriend issue changes more so over time than Frank's mostly due to Iola's death. He is portrayed as more of a ladies' man or flirt but he's totally able to have a long term, committed relationship too.

The biggest instances I can think of where a girlfriend or love interest makes an impact in the story line are when they are used for a hostage, blown up, used to mess with their mental states (Dead of Night and Lazarus Plot come to mind), or lead Joe to believe they can be trusted. That sounds like a lot but it's really spread over a LOT of books...so it's really not that much. Plus, from what I've read, it seems that most of these situations occur in the Casefiles than the Originals.

I do agree that we are opposite on the Frank/Nancy thing. That's okay to me because some people love ND or hate Callie. lol So until I see the best writing and situations or whatever to have me want Frank and Nancy together...I'll save him for myself...I MEAN CALLIE. lol

Parker and Pamela were the exception...I don't really know why.

Quote from: SDLagent on December 21, 2010, 01:37:10 AM
I don't know if they'll be too much romance between Nancy and Frank in the first crossover but they might set things up for the next one. And I'm pretty sure they'll be a next one. If With the Hardy Boys is successful.

I don't see a whole lot of romance in this series either because of everything else that is going on, but it could lead up to that eventually. I'm almost positive that they will do another one. At least, I hope the first one goes so well that they have to do one for us, the fans. :)

This series excites me because it's seems to be taking the HBs to a whole new level. That can be a good and/or bad thing though. Someone was already shot and killed in the first one. The second Hbs book has them breaking up. The ND/HB crossover is still unknown but is different in itself (not because they are together, but because of the situation with the brothers, and it's graphic). Who knows what they will do next?

And to me, not knowing is half the fun... :)

Olivia

Quote from: hardygirl847 on December 21, 2010, 04:19:40 PM
I am assuming that Frank wasn't with Callie then? lol I have to read this one now while I'm at my in-laws just to see this part.

I don't read enough ND to know how much romance is in there, so thanks for the insight on that one. I think the majority of both HBs and ND are the mysteries that they solve. Yes, it's fun and cute or even makes them a more well-rounded character to have love interests. However, it is really secondary. I fell in love with Frank and Joe because they are kick ass detectives. I enjoy the adventure, the humor, and the danger. I could care less if they have a girlfriend or not.

The biggest instances I can think of where a girlfriend or love interest makes an impact in the story line are when they are used for a hostage, blown up, used to mess with their mental states (Dead of Night and Lazarus Plot come to mind), or lead Joe to believe they can be trusted.

I do agree that we are opposite on the Frank/Nancy thing. That's okay to me because some people love ND or hate Callie. lol So until I see the best writing and situations or whatever to have me want Frank and Nancy together...I'll save him for myself...I MEAN CALLIE. lol

Parker and Pamela were the exception...I don't really know why.

I don't know if you want to be spoiled or not for The Last Resort but: they actually were with Ned and Callie at the time. I was surprised. It was an extreme situation, though, so it's semi-justifiable in a fictional world.

You're welcome regarding the insight. It's not like I've read a ton of ND, but I know enough from each series. And totally agree, especially with the bolded part.

I never thought about the love interest impact. Great way of looking at it.

I understand your stance about the Nancy thing. I don't necessarily dislike Callie, and it might be just the ones I've read so far, but she seems "just there" and that's about it (except she had a significant part in #10 Hostages of Hate).

Sometimes there are exceptions. P & P are great.

MacGyver

QuoteNot to mention that Frank and Nancy did kiss in The Last Resort (if the book had been written for an older adult audience, I think the author might've gone even farther than that).
Sorry, but I can't see that. (But I guess that's because if they did, it wouldn't be The Hardy Boys- but I guess that was your point.)

And to hardygirl847, you definitely need to read The Last Resort.
And regarding Iola and Callie- it's never been a huge thing in the Originals or Digests- it's just been a matter of fact really. Frank and Callie are a couple and Joe and Iola are a couple. Sometimes the girls do play a pretty big role in the books, but not always. In the Casefiles, they had a push for a while for Callie to be a part of the Hardys' detective team and she was tagging along as part of the action for a good bit. See No Evil is a good example of this. Later on into the series, that thrust wasn't really there so much anymore. I like the status quo of Frank and Callie and Nancy and Ned just fine, but whatever.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

Quote from: hardygirl847 on December 21, 2010, 04:19:40 PM
I am assuming that Frank wasn't with Callie then? lol I have to read this one now while I'm at my in-laws just to see this part. Sorry...maybe I'm too protective of Frank or just like how it is in the Casefiles too much...but Nancy just doesn't do it for me. :( I can see why they would be attracted to each other, especially Parker and Pamela.

No, the SuperMysteries take place in the Casefiles continuity so Frank was with Callie. Both Nancy and Frank seemed to like each other but they never started dating because they were both in relationships already.

Quote from: hardygirl847 on December 21, 2010, 04:19:40 PMThis series excites me because it's seems to be taking the HBs to a whole new level. That can be a good and/or bad thing though. Someone was already shot and killed in the first one. The second Hbs book has them breaking up. The ND/HB crossover is still unknown but is different in itself (not because they are together, but because of the situation with the brothers, and it's graphic). Who knows what they will do next?

And to me, not knowing is half the fun... :)

Same here. I imagine fans felt the same way when the Casefiles and SuperMysteries were first coming out in the 80s.

Olivia

Quote from: SDLagent on December 17, 2010, 02:11:47 AM
And whoever Bess and George's boyfriends our. Fred and Dick?

Forgot to respond to this. I vaguely remember that. The Originals, right?

Okay, I just looked it up (at first glance, could only find stuff on Wikipedia).

It's Dave for Bess (you were close, though). Dick is her cousin.

It's Buck (Ned's friend) for George at first, and then Burt.

hardygirl847

Holy cow I have a lot to respond to! :) Okay if I insert quotes this post will be HUGE. So here's the gist...

1. THEY KISSED BUT WERE WITH OTHER PEOPLE?! OMG I DEFINITELY HAVE TO READ THIS ONE PRONTO!

2. I can't see the books taking it farther either. I agree that it wouldn't be Hardy Boyish. I wrote a somewhat heated make out scene in one of my stories between Callie and Frank. I felt that they NEVER or hardly ever get anything like that in the books. Joe is always the one seen kissing or flirting, or so it seems. However, even though I was writing them in my own AU and when they are 20/21...it was still weird and awkward to me. lol

3. Spencer, I'm glad you are excited too. I can imagine how other folks would have been excited for something new too. The yahoo group I am in though seems to be a lot of older people (not all, but some) that are way more into the Originals than anything else. I wonder how they feel about this. Maybe they're not even picking it up. I guess it depends on how much of the Hardys you want to collect, read, or know about.

4. Mac, the funny thing about Callie being in the Casefiles was that I had a love-hate relationship with her. Sometimes I just wanted her to butt out of the situations she was in. Just like the See No Evil you mentioned. But once in awhile it was okay. She seemed to play the role of stubborn girlfriend just as well as a hostage. lol Even though sometimes I wanted her to get her skinny butt out of the story, I would still prefer her to Nancy. :) I will admit to being happy about the lack of her involvement towards the end though.

5. Olivia, thanks for your input and responses. :) Also, thanks for clarifying the boyfriends of Bess and George too. :)

MacGyver

Quote3. Spencer, I'm glad you are excited too. I can imagine how other folks would have been excited for something new too. The yahoo group I am in though seems to be a lot of older people (not all, but some) that are way more into the Originals than anything else. I wonder how they feel about this. Maybe they're not even picking it up. I guess it depends on how much of the Hardys you want to collect, read, or know about.
I'm pretty sure I know the Yahoo group you're talking about. If it's the same one I'm thinking of, I get emails from them sometimes too, but I don't honestly really participate in it. I kind of get the impression that at least some of the members are somewhere in their 50s-60s because they are really hung up on the Originals (and in many cases, the original text Originals)- which is fine and a part of Hardy Boys history of course- and I grew up reading the Revised text Original 58 first anyway (and it's only recently that I've read some of the original text books)- but I find it funny that some people on there were having pretty much the same discussion about The Hardy Boys Casefiles series as many of us were having about The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers series (i.e. both getting looked at with disdain for their departure from the original series).