Frank and Joe Hardy

Started by bozonessinc, September 29, 2008, 03:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

Quote from: MacGyver on February 03, 2011, 09:04:01 PM
I doubt many people would have had them in 1987 outside of the elite electronic geeks, basically.
There was a time when certain technology could really only be used by programmers because they were the only ones who really understood how to use them. It wasn't until Internet browsers started becoming readily available to the public by about 1993 or 1994 with the advent of Mosaic and later Internet Explorer that more of the mainstream consumers started using modems and getting connected to the Internet and such.

Yeah, computers and the Internet were a lot harder to use back then.

JoeHardyRocks

Ahh, us dag-nabbit teenagers are so spoiled rotten with our fancy gadgets! ;D
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on February 04, 2011, 12:43:43 PM
Ahh, us dag-nabbit teenagers are so spoiled rotten with our fancy gadgets! ;D

Yeah. I think we are too! ;D 8) ;)

tomswift2002

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on February 03, 2011, 05:35:28 PM
How was Frank having a modem cutting edge? ???

Well, back in the 1980's, modems weren't built into computers like they are today.  For the most part they were an external accessory that you could buy for any computer to allow you to check BBS's, and send some electronic email.  But, considering that the speed of the Internet back in the 80's was counted in "Bauds", which is much slower than the 256k modems (that you heard of up to about 6 or 7 years ago), sometimes you would spend 30 to 45 minutes dialing into one site.  In the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys SuperSleuths! Volume 2 book, the winter story that takes place in River Heights, you can get a sense of how "advance" the idea of communication between bank computers using the telephone line was, and how a lot of times "dialing into the internet" actually meant picking up a phone receiver and placing it into a cradle on the modem to allow for the computer and phone line to "talk" to one another (not to mention that when you were on the internet, you couldn't be on the phone at the same time).

But, I remember that in #74. Road Pirates, Frank and Joe actual discover that you are able to send a fax via a computer with a fax modem (that looks like an ordinary modem) without having an actual fax machine.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

QuoteBut, I remember that in #74. Road Pirates, Frank and Joe actual discover that you are able to send a fax via a computer with a fax modem (that looks like an ordinary modem) without having an actual fax machine.
Right- and that book was released in 1993!
QuoteWell, back in the 1980's, modems weren't built into computers like they are today.  For the most part they were an external accessory that you could buy for any computer to allow you to check BBS's, and send some electronic email.  But, considering that the speed of the Internet back in the 80's was counted in "Bauds", which is much slower than the 256k modems (that you heard of up to about 6 or 7 years ago), sometimes you would spend 30 to 45 minutes dialing into one site.  In the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys SuperSleuths! Volume 2 book, the winter story that takes place in River Heights, you can get a sense of how "advance" the idea of communication between bank computers using the telephone line was, and how a lot of times "dialing into the internet" actually meant picking up a phone receiver and placing it into a cradle on the modem to allow for the computer and phone line to "talk" to one another (not to mention that when you were on the internet, you couldn't be on the phone at the same time).
I always thought it was pretty neat when they connected to the Internet with the phone receiver and a modem on 1980s shows. I seem to recall an episode or two of MacGyver doing this.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 06, 2011, 04:39:23 PM
Right- and that book was released in 1993!  I always thought it was pretty neat when they connected to the Internet with the phone receiver and a modem on 1980s shows. I seem to recall an episode or two of MacGyver doing this.

What? I have no idea what you're on about. ???

MacGyver

http://www.hdtvtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15433

This link might help explain. The history of modems actually goes back quite a ways.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 06, 2011, 11:46:22 PM
http://www.hdtvtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15433

This link might help explain. The history of modems actually goes back quite a ways.

I never knew that. :)

Quote from: tomswift2002 on February 06, 2011, 02:35:58 PM
Well, back in the 1980's, modems weren't built into computers like they are today.  For the most part they were an external accessory that you could buy for any computer to allow you to check BBS's, and send some electronic email.  But, considering that the speed of the Internet back in the 80's was counted in "Bauds", which is much slower than the 256k modems (that you heard of up to about 6 or 7 years ago), sometimes you would spend 30 to 45 minutes dialing into one site.  In the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys SuperSleuths! Volume 2 book, the winter story that takes place in River Heights, you can get a sense of how "advance" the idea of communication between bank computers using the telephone line was, and how a lot of times "dialing into the internet" actually meant picking up a phone receiver and placing it into a cradle on the modem to allow for the computer and phone line to "talk" to one another (not to mention that when you were on the internet, you couldn't be on the phone at the same time).

But, I remember that in #74. Road Pirates, Frank and Joe actual discover that you are able to send a fax via a computer with a fax modem (that looks like an ordinary modem) without having an actual fax machine.

30 to 45 minutes dialing into one site? That's weird. As well as sending a fax via a computer without having a fax machine. That's really weird! ???   

JoeHardyRocks

LOL I remember when I was really little, that I wasn't allowed to use the phone when my parents were on the computer! :D
"Thank you, Joe."

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on February 07, 2011, 03:09:51 PM
LOL I remember when I was really little, that I wasn't allowed to use the phone when my parents were on the computer! :D

So do I! :) It was so weird, wasn't it?

JoeHardyRocks

I didn't understand it! Haha and I think we also couldn't use the microwave at the same time as the phone or computer for some reason....  :-\ :D
"Thank you, Joe."

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on February 07, 2011, 03:20:48 PM
I didn't understand it! Haha and I think we also couldn't use the microwave at the same time as the phone or computer for some reason....  :-\ :D

Wonder why?  ??? ::)

SDLagent

Also, in the 80s the Internet was a much smaller and friendlier place. Most people on the net were all computer geeks so they all had something in common and helped each other out.

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on February 07, 2011, 03:09:51 PM

I remember that, too. That's the way it still is for many people who still. have dial-up.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: SDLagent on February 07, 2011, 04:41:18 PM
Also, in the 80s the Internet was a much smaller and friendlier place. Most people on the net were all computer geeks so they all had something in common and helped each other out.

Really? ???

SDLagent

Well, it's not hard to believe considering the internet wasn't very user-friendly and not easy for the average person to use or even access.