#105 The Smoke Screen Mystery (30th Anniversary Review)

Started by tomswift2002, July 23, 2021, 10:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Published: December 1990
Publisher: Minstrel Books (1990-2002)
Author:

Plot: The Hardys are caught in a cage of fire!

A Fiery Vendetta Races out of Control -- And Frank and Joe are Running Out of Time!

The Hardys have always wanted to learn about firefighting, and winter break offers them the perfect opportunity to sign on as volunteer firefighters. The action heats up fast when they learn that fighting fires also means fighting crime: an arsonist is on the loose in Bayport!

Several warehouses belonging to a wealthy developer have gone up in smoke, and it soon becomes clear that no one is safe from the arsonist's torch. Frank and Joe want to extinguish the threat for good. But the only way they can penetrate THE SMOKE SCREEN MYSTERY is to follow a burning trail of blackmail and revenge -- a trail of blackmail and revenge -- a trail that leads straight to the top of a towering inferno!

Review:  I'm just starting this one.  I read it a few times in the 90'sand early 2000's. 

So I've got to wonder when do Frank & Joe have 4 months to study how to be firefighters?  The book says they took a 16 week course in firefighting before getting hired on as volunteers.  Of course, considering how many buildings have been bombed or set on fire in Bayport, why is Bayport's fire department mostly a volunteer department? 

And ever since the 90's, I've wondered if the artist had Kate Mulgrew model for him for this book, since that woman on the cover looks like a young Captain Janeway from "Star Trek Voyager" or "Mrs. Colombo"!
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

I remember liking this book pretty well when I read it as a kid. I mainly recall Frank and Joe becoming volunteer firefighters, the Hardy Boys rescuing Aunt Gertrude from a fire (whom I've wondered is supposed to be depicted on the cover), having pizza in an ending scene and helping a character named Kevin with the blackmail issues.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

I think that's suppose to be Iola who Joe is rescuing.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Or it's Callie, as it seems to be a scene from the end of the book where both Callie & Iola were with Frank and Joe climbing out of a burning building.

MacGyver

Okay, but isn't Callie a blonde and Iola a brunette?