#77 The Crimson Flame (1983) Review

Started by tomswift2002, July 17, 2020, 09:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Published: 1983
Publisher: Wanderer Books (1983-1987), Minstrel Books (1987-199?)
Author: Vincent Buranelli
Other Hardy Boys by author: #20R Mystery of the Flying Express, #22R The Flickering Torch Mystery, #49 The Bombay Boomerang, #51 THe Masked Monkey, #55 The Witchmaster's Key, #56 The Jungle Pyramid, #57 The Firebird Rocket, #61 The Pentagon Spy, #63 The Mummy Case, #64 Mystery of Smuggler's Cove, #65 The Stone Idol, #71 Track of the Zombie, #75 Trapped At Sea

Plot: The plot begins with Frank and Joe witnessing a westerner being attacked by a notorious jewel thief Oscar Tamm. The westerner reveals himself as Alfred McVay and as an avid jewel collector. Due to suspicious happenings at his ranch house in Arizona, he hires the Hardys for protection.

Upon reaching there the Hardys start to investigate the strange happenings and develop an immediate dislike of the foreman, Wat Perkins. They are also intrigued by a "mysterious rider" who seems to be sending messages to someone in the ranch house. They also grow suspicious of the butler Wilbur.

When a tornado strikes the ranch, the Crimson Flame, a priceless ruby gets stolen. McVay becomes morose and the Hardys, with a couple of clues, pursue the jewel thieves to Thailand. The rest of the plot follows how the boys help capture the crooks and eventually, how the lost ruby is found.

Review;  I'm just starting this book.  But one interesting thing to note is that in Chapter 1, on page 12 (Wanderer edition) the Hardy's have their "detective credentials", meaning that they are professional investigators, and are no longer amateur detectives.  A police officer asks for their identification and instead of giving him their driver's licenses, they give him their private investigator licenses.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

I remember enjoying The Crimson Flame quite a bit as a child. I don't remember much of it now except for the opening scene that taught me the meaning of the word "bushwhacked" as a kid. And I also thought it was neat to find another book with a character named Jupe since the only other place I'd ever seen that name is in The Three Investigators books, where one of the main characters is named Jupiter "Jupe" Jones. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

I just finished the book this morning.  I really enjoyed it.  It was a nice final volume from long-time "Franklin W. Dixon", Vincent Buranelli, who wasn't with the Stratemeyer Syndicate as long as Jim Lawrence (Lawrence started writing Hardy Boys in 1957, whereas Buranelli didn't start until 1970.)  And it wasn't as bad as Buranelli's one Tom Swift book, Tom Swift And the Galaxy Ghosts

I had read The Crimson Flame years ago, and I forgot who the ringleader was.  Of course the ringleader's symbol was reminding me of another later Hardy Boys book, #146 The Mark of the Blue Tattoo, since the ringleader in Flame had a Blue Triangle tattoo.

Rating: 8.5/10
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca