39th Anniversary Review: #70 The Infinity Clue

Started by tomswift2002, May 13, 2020, 06:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Published 1981
Publisher: Wanderer Books (1981-1988), Minstrel Books (1989-1995?)
Author: Karl Herr III
Other Hardy Boys by author:  #72 The Voodoo Plot, #78 Cave-In, #80 The Roaring River Mystery.

Plot: A mysterious telegram is sent to Frank and Joe from Mr. Hardy, who is working on a case in Europe. The cryptic message tells the boys to go to Washington, D.C., and it warns them to watch out for "infinity!"

Despite an anonymous threat on their lives, they head for the nation's capital, but are plagued by strange accidents. They follow a clue that leads them to a geological site on East Coast, and strange things begin to happen. No light is shed on the mystery until they find a kidnapped girl on a deserted island, and they realize that not only they, but thousands of people are in danger

Review:  For another interesting Hardy Boys book, the author, Karl Herr III is Edward Stratemeyer's great-grandson.  That means that, this is the 3rd generation of Stratemeyer to contribute at least an outline to the Hardy Boys series, and second to write a story, as Edward Stratemeyer created the outlines for the first 9 Hardy Boys between 1927 & 1930.  Then both of his daughters, Harriet & Edna contributed outlines from 1931 to 1942 (Edna) & 1973 (Harriet).  Neither Edward or Edna wrote a story, however Harriet wrote several, such as the 1959 version of The Tower Treasure and #43 Mystery of the Aztec Warrior.  And I'm not sure which branch of the Stratemeyer family Karl comes from (it's either Edna or Harriet), but he was following in Harriet's footsteps.  She must've been a proud grandma/great-aunt.

VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

tomswift2002

Anyway, Karl was obviously not familiar with earthquakes, since he has Bayport rocked by an earthquake in Chapter 1 (while the boys were touring a nuclear power plant no less!) and has the boys learn by radio that it was a 2 to 3 on the Richter scale.  I was in the 2010 Central Canada Earthquake that was a 5.0 and shook things up, (there was also a 3.8-4.0 in 2015, and it was a slight rumble) and it was the biggest earthquake in the area in my lifetime, even though I had heard of smaller earthquakes in the area, but the ones below 3.8 are not felt.  So a 2.0 to 3.0 wouldn't cause the anywhere near what the author described occurred in Bayport. 

Some of the Hardy's friends have also appeared like Biff Hooper (he was the reason the Hardy's were at the power plant, since Biff's uncle, Jerry Hooper, works there and was giving them a tour), Chet & Iola Morton and Callie Shaw. 

The Submarine Caper & Mystery of the Samurai Sword are also referenced.  It's interesting that Herr mentioned Sword, as that was 10 books back, although it shows how many books were published between 1979 & 1981.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

Nice review! This is the book where I learned that an 8 on its side is the symbol for infinity. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

In Chapter 12 there is mention of "Night of the Werewolf".

MacGyver

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

It's also funny how that was in Chapter 12, and Infinity Clue was #12 in the S&S releases.

tomswift2002

I finished the book.  Ok, the Hardy's must've dodged about 3 dozen bombs in this book, since the albino terrorist just kept chucking them at the boys at one point. 

Rating: 7.5/10

tomswift2002

It's interesting but after Chapter 5 in the book, Biff, Callie and Iola are not seen again.  I realize in the Mystery Stories, Callie and Iola really only make cameos, but for Biff Hooper to only make a cameo is surprising.  I thought Biff would've played a much bigger role in the story!

MacGyver

It depends on which of the Mystery Stories you're reading. There are books where Callie and Iola play major roles throughout the book. Offhand, I can think of a few. Callie is a major character throughout Cast of Criminals and I believe both she and Iola show up throughout Typhoon Island. Iola is an important character in Panic on Gull Island, Crime in The Kennel, and Farming Fear.

tomswift2002

Yeah they do make bigger appearances throughout, but for the girls, especially in the first 70 books, they were more or less just there to take the boys on picnics, as they were written as how women were expected to act between the 1920's and 70's.

MacGyver

You mean women aren't just there to take boys on picnics? So you're saying maybe I shouldn't use, "Hey, girl- wanna take me on a picnic?" as a pick-up line? ;) ;D