What was the ATAC Vs. The Network war all about?

Started by Hardy Boys UB Fan, January 26, 2011, 08:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 15, 2011, 01:21:03 AM
But regarding the Undercover Brothers books- yes, they do have some cool technology that ATAC provides Frank and Joe with. I don't think this really makes or breaks a book- but it's nice to have. I understand SDLAgent's point about it being an easy out for writers who get the Hardys trapped in a corner. And the UB books are set in modern times, so that's easier to relate to and that makes sense. Of course, I guess older fans can find it just as easy to relate to the other series since some of them grew up in those same times with the books. Maybe the personable first person writing style appeals to Hardy Boys UB Fan along with the fact that they do try to utilized the language of today's teenagers (note I said try- I'm not sure if they're always successful in that- but I suppose it sounds more modern than "Gee, Frank- that's swell." ;D )
      I take it you're not a fan of historical fiction, HBUBF? All the classics from the 1600s, 1700s, 1800s and early 1900s have way less technology in them than even the original text version of The Hardy Boys Original series. But that doesn't make Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island or Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days any less exciting. But that's just my opinion. I'm sorry- I'm not meaning to criticize your interests or likes. I can understand that more recent books are probably easier for you to get into and that's okay. I think the point some of the other fans on here are trying to make is that the writing level and style of the UB books just doesn't quite match up to the standard set in the Casefiles, Digests and Original 58 books. But it's not necessarily wrong (though some might view it as such)- it's just different. If you don't like it- that's okay. If you do like that style- that's cool too. The main thing is that The Hardy Boys are cool in whatever facet they may appear. :) 8)

That's the point I'm trying to make, and I know that we all have different view points on the HB's and I'm cool with that. ;D 8)

hardygirl847

Quote from: MacGyver on February 15, 2011, 01:21:03 AM
But regarding the Undercover Brothers books- yes, they do have some cool technology that ATAC provides Frank and Joe with. I don't think this really makes or breaks a book- but it's nice to have. I understand SDLAgent's point about it being an easy out for writers who get the Hardys trapped in a corner. And the UB books are set in modern times, so that's easier to relate to and that makes sense. Of course, I guess older fans can find it just as easy to relate to the other series since some of them grew up in those same times with the books. Maybe the personable first person writing style appeals to Hardy Boys UB Fan along with the fact that they do try to utilize the language of today's teenagers (note I said try- I'm not sure if they're always successful in that- but I suppose it sounds more modern than "Gee, Frank- that's swell." ;D)
      I take it you're not a fan of historical fiction, HBUBF? All the classics from the 1600s, 1700s, 1800s and early 1900s have way less technology in them than even the original text version of The Hardy Boys Original series. But that doesn't make Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island or Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days any less exciting. But that's just my opinion. I'm sorry- I'm not meaning to criticize your interests or likes. I can understand that more recent books are probably easier for you to get into and that's okay. I think the point some of the other fans on here are trying to make is that the writing level and style of the UB books just doesn't quite match up to the standard set in the Casefiles, Digests and Original 58 books. But it's not necessarily wrong (though some might view it as such)- it's just different. If you don't like it- that's okay. If you do like that style- that's cool too. The main thing is that The Hardy Boys are cool in whatever facet they may appear. :) 8)

Whoa, Mac....you said it!!

I can agree with some of what SDLagent is saying too. I personally think they were the most badass in the Casefiles series. ATAC does make it easier for the writers to get out of situations.

However, I am glad that there is an audience that likes the UBs and thus likes the Hardy Boys. Positive attention for them is a great thing even if some of us would rather stick to the "oldies but goodies". :)

I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

Well, like it or not, the Undercover Brothers series is the only thing keeping The Hardy Boys going right now- outside of the graphic novels. So unless this series ends and a new one starts- or a spinoff starts- we're kinda stuck with this one when looking for new official canon adventures for Frank and Joe. (Okay, yeah- and there's The Secret Files too. ;D Which at least is not written in first person style- and includes a fun comic at the end of each book- and it has had appearances from The Hardys' chums, some of whom have long been absent from the current books- so I can say that much for it.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

Well, I am glad there's SOMETHING out there of the Hardy Boys books...but really the bluespines are what I see in the stores the most. I rarely see a GN or UB. Secret files ....sometimes.

It's just sad. BUT I would totally be into a revival of the Casefiles. Maybe "The Lost Casefiles" or something. I'd be all for that.

BTW, it's LESS than a month until Break Up! WAHOO!
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

tomswift2002

Quote from: hardygirl847 on February 20, 2011, 04:54:59 PM
Well, I am glad there's SOMETHING out there of the Hardy Boys books...but really the bluespines are what I see in the stores the most. I rarely see a GN or UB. Secret files ....sometimes.

In my area I don't see the Grosset & Dunlap books on the shelves, and it is just the first 2 UB's and a few of the more recent releases.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

hardygirl847

It's still way less than ND. And some of our book stores are closing around me. So now it's really slim pickings.

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: hardygirl847 on February 21, 2011, 04:15:28 PM
It's still way less than ND. And some of our book stores are closing around me. So now it's really slim pickings.

I envy anyone who lives close to a book store.  :-\
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

Hardy Boys UB Fan

hardygirl847

How come? Do you live in a rural area? Besides, the internet is really the best place to find good deals on books.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: hardygirl847 on February 21, 2011, 08:38:08 PM
How come? Do you live in a rural area? Besides, the internet is really the best place to find good deals on books.

Yes I do.

MacGyver

For those looking for good deals on books, allow me to offer a few suggestions. Now thankfully, I do live pretty close to bookstores and that is helpful. But don't forget to check particularly the used bookstores as well as antique stores and thrift stores. You can sometimes find some really good stuff there. And of course, the yard sales, garage sales or rummage sales, depending on what part of the world you're in. Also, library sales are great for finding all sorts of discarded books and such.
     But there are some good places to check online for good deals- I would try the Internet sites like Amazon.com and Ebay.com of course. But there is also www.abebooks.com and www.alibris.com
www.bookfinder.com is also really incredible.
            And for those looking for the super cheap method (i.e. essentially FREE!)- check out www.bookmooch.com and www.paperbackswap.com
I have recently been experimenting with these sites and I have been able to trade a lot of extra books and/or no longer wanted books that I've had lying around and in return receive a lot of other books I've been looking for. The only thing I really pay for is postage whenever it's my time to send something- and that's not but a few bucks in most cases.
Anyway- just thought I'd throw those out there. :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: hardygirl847 on February 21, 2011, 08:38:08 PM

I live in the country. But I love my eBay and Amazon.  8)
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

MacGyver

QuoteAwesome Mac!!! Thanks for those links! 
As MacGyver himself would say, No problem. :) 8)

hardygirl847