Ends for ATAC

Started by The#1Hardy-BoysFan, June 29, 2007, 11:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bozonessinc

IF YOU HAVE A BRAIN AND GOT UP TO GRADE 8 YOU HAVE TAKEN GEOGRAPHY AND WOULD KNOW THE CAPITAL OF A NEIGHBOURING COUNTRY.... PLEASE SHOW A SIGN OF RESPECT TO A NEIGHBOURING COUNTRY.

tomswift2002

Quote from: Bigfootman on October 06, 2008, 06:21:37 PM
Unfortinly, that was one of Canada's biggest mistakes. Thank goodness Used Stores still sell Casefiles, or you can bet I'd move someone where they didn't sell UBs.

And of course, even in the used book stores, the Casefiles are extremely rare, whereas the Undercover Brothers keep popping up because people like the Casefiles more and are keeping them for their collections.

Now then, with the original series, the reason that those books appear quite a bit in the used bookstores is that those books have been out since 1927, and the picture cover editions since 1962.  Plus that series has never gone out of print, so there are tons of copies of those books out there, whereas the Casefiles went in and out of print within 20 years, and the Undercover Brothers have short print runs and a few have gone to the printers a few times, but most have gone through the printers only once.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

bozonessinc

Well, the reason that I like the ATAC series over the casefiles is because I had not read one in a while and had forgotten about them. Now, however I am reading one and have to admit that it is a good book. Now, if I could get them at the book store or at the library I would be happy..

Unfortunately this world is only selling UB's, I don't know whether sands are still selling casefiles new, but I wander why there would be that rejection of the casefiles. Why would they sell Ub's and not casefiles?

The book store that I am refering to is Coles, they are run by chapters, I don't know if at chapters they have the casefiles. I do know of course that at Coles they don't have them.

Just reading the other posts now. I see that there are complaints about the used stores just selling casefiles. So I guess thats it. Can you still buy them new from sands Canada?

If they don't what is there reason behind it. On this forum I have noticed that people do not even mention the Minstrel Hardy Boys Mystery stories. They are commonly found at the local library. Has anyone else not read these. Though I also don't see those at coles book stores.

On another note, if you look at other authors like Gordon Korman there serieses lasted 8 books, considering the UB's are in the 20's they must be good books. Though I wander why there are 187 or more of the Minstrel Mystery Books. And I think something like 127 casefiles.

Were the casefiles written around the same time as the original hardy boys. Also the Minstrel series, is there a name for them other than the hardy boys mystery stories.

NZone

Quote from: bozonessinc on October 08, 2008, 11:05:28 AM
IF YOU HAVE A BRAIN AND GOT UP TO GRADE 8 YOU HAVE TAKEN GEOGRAPHY AND WOULD KNOW THE CAPITAL OF A NEIGHBOURING COUNTRY.... PLEASE SHOW A SIGN OF RESPECT TO A NEIGHBOURING COUNTRY.

Why would I show respect? Why would I care what the capital of Canada is? How does that help me. It's not like there is world-changing info coming from there
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

Olivia

One thing that's sticking out to me right now is that the Casefiles actually fit a lot of substance into one book. I'm not saying that's the reason they don't have as many books as a result, just something I thought of.

Let's just say Canada's modest and we'll leave it at that. I don't think we should get into this any deeper. Not that I'm trying to tell any of you what to do. This is just what I think.

P.S. I actually had plans to move to the U.S. once. Just thought I'd mention that.

NZone

You're right Liv, I'll let it die. Just to say it though, if Canada wasn't by the U.S, it would be about as famous as Tajikistan
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

tomswift2002

Quote from: bozonessinc on October 08, 2008, 02:35:02 PM

The book store that I am refering to is Coles, they are run by chapters, I don't know if at chapters they have the casefiles. I do know of course that at Coles they don't have them.

I also buy my books from the Chapters-Indigo chain, mostly Coles, since it is the only "New" bookstore in the area.  Basically, Chapters/Indigo/Coles/Smithbooks and the Book Company stores stopped selling Casefiles about 5 years ago when the chain's stock ran out.  Now then there may be the odd store that still has a volume or two left, but otherwise, the chain does not carry the books, since the last time that any Casefiles went to the printers was in 2002 when Simon & Schuster did an accidental run of 3000 copies of Dead On Target and Illegal Procedure (someone at S&S thought that these were Digest titles, since S&S had ordered more older Digests printed up).  Otherwise, the rest of the series had not been to the printers since around 1998/1999.

Were the casefiles written around the same time as the original hardy boys. Also the Minstrel series, is there a name for them other than the hardy boys mystery stories.

The Original Hardy Boys series (or The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories as the books were officially called, and later changed to The Original Hardy Boys Mystery Stories) was started in 1927 by Edward Stratemeyer as the first editor (as well as the owner of the Stratemeyer Syndicate) and Canadian journalist Leslie McFarlane (Volumes 1-16, which Leslie McFarlane wrote, were published by Applewood Books from 1991-2006, and the Applewood editions were facsimiles of the original texts of the books, not the revised texts).
Then from 1959-1973 the first 38 original books, plus the Detective Handbook, underwent a revision process that removed dated sayings as well as dated racial stereotyping.  From 1960-1979 Grosset & Dunlap (who had printed the Hardy Boys since 1927) added volumes 39-58 to the series that the majority of Hardy Boys collector's and fans call the "Canon".  Then in 1979, because Grosset & Dunlap had not done anything to celebrate the Hardy Boys 50th anniversary in 1977, the Stratemeyer Syndicate took the series, along with the Nancy Drew, Tom Swift and Bobbsey Twins series, over to Simon & Schuster to be published.  Suffice it to say, G&D was not happy and filed a court case in which G&D said that it owned half of the series because it had paid for the artistry work, typesetting and binding of the books.  However a judge ruled that the Stratemeyer Syndicate owned all the rights to the books because the Syndicate owned the original manuscripts. 

So, starting in 1979 Simon & Schuster started to publish The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories under their Wanderer Imprint, and to indicate that the series was a continuation of the original series, the first book, Night Of The Werewolf was numbered #59 instead of #1.  However, so that they would not mix the two parts of the series up, fans of the Hardy Boys started to call the New Hardy Boys Mystery Stories the Hardy Boys Digests when referring to the series.  The first part of the Digests ran from 1979 till 1985 when Volume 85 was published.  Then, after a break of nearly 2 years, September 1987 saw the publication of the continuation of this series with the 86th volume debutting.  And from then till April 2005, a new Hardy Boys Digest appeared at about the rate of 1 book every 2 months.

After doing a test with The Hardy Boys Digests #84 and 85, Simon & Schuster saw that there was potential for the series to keep fans and to gain more fans if the boys were written for a pre-teen/teenage audience.  So, in April 1987 the buying public saw the debut of a brand-new Hardy Boys series that was as different from the Digests as possible.  This series was the Hardy Boys Casefiles, and from April 1987 till May 1997 there was 1 new book released every month, then for the last 4 books it was spaced to a new book every 2nd month until the last book, #127, came out in time for Boxing Day 1997, with a January 1998 publishing date on its copyright page.  In October 2002 Simon & Schuster "accidentally" reprinted Volume 1 Dead On Target and Volume #95 Illegal Procedure when it was reprinting some older Digests.  However the print run for these two books was small, at just 3000 copies per book, but the books can be identified from the other books in the Casefiles series because they are taller than the other books, and #1 has the Simon Pulse wave in a box logo on its spine instead of the Archway Paperbacks "A" logo.

In 1988 Simon & Schuster spun Frank and Joe from the Casefiles off with Nancy Drew from the Nancy Drew Files series into a new series called A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys SuperMystery.  This was the second time that the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew had been put together in a series.  Starting in 1980 with a short story in the December 16 issue of Family Circle magazine, the Hardy Boys had appeared with Nancy Drew in the 2 volume Short Story collection Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys Super Sleuths! (1981) and Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys Super Sleuths! Volume 2 (1984), Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys Campfire Stories, and the Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys Be A Detective (1984-1985) series of Digest-spinoffs.  Obviously there was a high demand to see the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew together that it warranted a new series the was introduced with the nicely named first book, Double Crossing.  This Casefiles spinoff series outlasted both the Hardy Boys Casefiles and the Nancy Drew Files by 4 months, but sadly the last volume, Process of Elimination was released in April 1998, with the next volume, tentatively called The Playhouse Mystery cancelled and shelved.  In 2007 fans started to call this series A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys SuperMystery'88 so that they wouldn't get confused with the spinoff series from the Nancy Drew Girl Detective and The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers series, A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Super Mystery (the space in between the words "Super" and "Mystery" was just not enough if people were talking about it).

After that, there were no more Hardy Boys spinoffs till 1997 when the world and fans were introduced to the Hardy Boys when they were 7 & 8 year-old in the Frank And Joe Hardy: The Clues Brothers series of books.  Starting with Volume 10, The Walking Snowman, the series was renamed to The Hardy Boys: The Clues Brothers, and there were 7 volumes printed with that series title before the series came to an end in early 2000.

In November 2004, the Hardy Boys debutted in a new comic book line by Papercutz that only lasted for 3 books and ended in January 2005.  However, in March 2005, those three books were collected into the Hardy Boys Graphic Novel The Ocean Of Osyria, the first book in a line of comic books in novel form. 

Only a few weeks after the last Hardy Boys Digest appeared on store shelves, fans were surprised to see the first four Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers books, with #1 being priced at $0.99 USD/CDN, hitting store shelves in early April of 2005, even though these four books, as well as the copyright pages, had been listed as coming out in June 2005. 

May 2006 saw the spinoff series, The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers Super Mystery debut with Wanted.  However it appears that this spinoff series only saw 2 books released and either went on hiatus or was just flat out cancelled, since there was no Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers Super Mystery announced for 2008, which saw a Special Ghost Stories Edition released.

And the following May also saw the release of a new Undercover Brothers and Nancy Drew Girl Detective series, A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Super Mystery.  Because of the similar title with the series from 1988, fans started to put a '07 with a comma at the end of 'Mystery' so that during conversations people could tell the two series apart.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Olivia

Negative Zone:

Notice I said "modest". And who wants to be a fame-aholic.

Half-kidding.

Olivia

Also, who wants to be famous and hated.

Half-kidding again.

SDLagent

Quote from: bozonessinc on October 08, 2008, 11:05:28 AM

Hey, I bet most Canadians wouldn't know the capital of the US if it wasn't for the fact we...watch American TV, read American magazines, and read American books.

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on October 09, 2008, 12:59:07 AM
Hey, I bet most Canadians wouldn't know the capital of the US if it wasn't for the fact we...watch American TV, read American magazines, and read American books.

Lets see, is the captial of the US Spokane, Washington?  ;D ;D

bozonessinc

Quote from: SDLagent on October 09, 2008, 12:59:07 AM

The reason for that SDLAGENT is that, America has more people. So therefore they get more TV channels. We however are not blessed with that kind of money. That is because, Canada is smaller, therefore generating less money to be able to have more TV stations.

Though one issue with living in the us of a would be that Google can do road pics and well your liscence plate number could be on it. In Canada you can not put that kind of thing online. So in some ways we are better. But, with the US being so big  you get more resources.

So I mean canada is better, on one half, but each of us are gonna care more about our own countries.

SDLagent

Um, I don't think you got what I meant. I mean if Americans watched Canadian TV, and read Canadian books they'd know about Canada, and on the other hand if we didn't watch American TV, and read American books, we wouldn't know about the US.

Point taken?

Olivia

Yeah, we have a lot of U.S. influence. Can't help it with our proximity.

Part of the reason is the resources thing, which translates into why we're into a lot of foreign content. So pretty much what both of what you said, although you were making different points.

There are many other factors but never mind that.

bozonessinc

I admit that my Geography Textbook and every other one was made in the Us. I have to admit though, the paper is probably from China!