What Do You think of the Hardy Boys Undercver Brothers ?

Started by Frank rules, January 16, 2009, 06:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank rules

I'm sorry if my meaning wasn't clear but what I meant by what I said was that the books may have not lost the whodunit layout, but by the end, the bad guy who did it doesn't even make sense. It's like the writers just decided at the end that they had to make the story click, so they came up with a mildly beleivable solution to a poblem that might take another fifty pages to develop well. Oh my gosh, that was a mouthful! ;)

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on January 19, 2009, 01:30:49 AM
ROTFLOL! ;D ;D Do you hear that Lola? A teen! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Your in her good books, now, man.

I disagree with your comment about them losing the whodunit layout. I find the UB are that, more then any other HB series, in that, in the UB there's always one person, and the Hardys spend the whole book trying to find out who it is. Whereas in other series, the Hardys find out who the bad guys are halfway through the book and spend the rest off the book trying to outsmart the baddies.

Also, in the Original series, Digests and Casefiles, a lot of times there were the "whodunnit" stories, but instead of it just being one person, a lot of times the boys would be introduced to lower gang members, but then it would take the rest of the book to figure out who the 'head' of the gang or the 'directors' of the gang.

As with the plot, I have to agree.  With the most recent UB, Double Deception, I kept wondering when Frank and Joe would ask Justin if he was really Ryan, and yet they never did, and right from Chapter 2 it was very obvious that "Justin" was really "Ryan".  Infact, no one in the book bothered to ask "Justin" if he was "Ryan".  If someone close to me was acting just the slightest bit weird, and someone else was missing, I'd definitely ask if they were the missing person just acting as another person.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

Frank rules

Say, this is a bit off topic but why hasn't anyone posted in the Double Decption/ Galaxy X discussion that I started?Or aren't there any spoilers yet? ???

JoeHardyRocks

"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

003Robin457

Frank rules

It isn't, but I thought that spoilers might already be floating around on the internet...  :-\

003Robin457

Olivia

Quote from: Frank rules on January 19, 2009, 02:56:04 PM
I'm sorry if my meaning wasn't clear but what I meant by what I said was that the books may have not lost the whodunit layout, but by the end, the bad guy who did it doesn't even make sense. It's like the writers just decided at the end that they had to make the story click, so they came up with a mildly beleivable solution to a poblem that might take another fifty pages to develop well. Oh my gosh, that was a mouthful! ;)

I see what you mean. Although I have to say that there might be a couple of UBs out there that are planned better sometimes.

Anyways, it does sometimes seem like they pick who the bad guy is in the end (like you said) and then they take one or two (incriminating) facts and throw in back in the earlier chapters so there will be some kind of connection.

Frank rules

Exactly man! Now you get how I've felt since 2005 when I started reading the lame books (though books 1-5 were admittedly better than any of them until now...)   ;D