The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers: The New Case Files

Started by tomswift2002, February 18, 2010, 06:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardygirl847

Sorry I meant they were friends or favorite dates to Frank and Joe. :P
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

Olivia

Quote from: hardygirl847 on October 20, 2010, 04:40:53 PM

Whoa...that is the first time I'm seeing that cover. A lot of stuff packed in there.

Iola and Callie are "favorite dates" lol. But we don't really get much of them together though, right? Especially since Iola's gone from the Casefiles.

MacGyver

There's a number of the Digests where both Iola and Callie show up. Typhoon Island (#180 in The Hardy Boys Digests) is a great example of a later title that features both of them. #126 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles, Fire in the Sky kinda reminds me some of this one as it's sort of a similar scene, with Vanessa Bender standing in for Iola Morton's role.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Olivia

SDLagent

Quote from: Olivia on October 25, 2010, 06:21:34 PM
Whoa...that is the first time I'm seeing that cover. A lot of stuff packed in there.

Iola and Callie are "favorite dates" lol. But we don't really get much of them together though, right? Especially since Iola's gone from the Casefiles.

Actually, Callie and Iola usually appear together in the original series.

hardygirl847

Callie and Iola ALWAYS seem to be together in the Originals. this is probably because they are always accompanying Frank and Joe (who are always together). Iola is absent in Casefiles because she gets blown up (or captured)....so Joe is free to mingle until Vanessa comes along. I honestly think some fan fic paints her better than the actual Casefiles do...but oh well.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

Yeah, in the Original series, Callie and Iola probably spend more time together than they do with a Hardy boy. When the boys aren't half way around the world, they're too busy helping dad on a case to take their girlfriends out!

hardygirl847

Quote from: SDLagent on October 26, 2010, 03:08:35 PM
Yeah, in the Original series, Callie and Iola probably spend more time together than they do with a Hardy boy. When the boys aren't half way around the world, they're too busy helping dad on a case to take their girlfriends out!

Lol I suppose that is more realistic. They are never around. But in the originals, I don't know if they are ever called Frank and Joe's girlfriends. Girlfriends implies that they are in an exclusive relationship. It seems in the originals they were just their to date now and then...and were friends.

It would be hard being a Hardy Boys girlfriend though...so you have to give them both props. lol

MacGyver

The originals always made it clear that Callie and Iola were Frank and Joe's favorite dates. I'm pretty positive neither one was ever seen flirting with any other girls or going out with anyone else- and there are scenes in the different books where the Hardys go out on dates (see "The Flickering Torch Mystery" for one). And they also fairly often have parties at their house to celebrate the solution of their most recent case and generally the whole gang comes over for that. (Or at least the ones directly involved in the case, which more often than not, means Chet Morton and probably Iola and Callie too.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

Quote from: MacGyver on October 26, 2010, 11:34:00 PM
The originals always made it clear that Callie and Iola were Frank and Joe's favorite dates. I'm pretty positive neither one was ever seen flirting with any other girls or going out with anyone else- and there are scenes in the different books where the Hardys go out on dates (see "The Flickering Torch Mystery" for one). And they also fairly often have parties at their house to celebrate the solution of their most recent case and generally the whole gang comes over for that. (Or at least the ones directly involved in the case, which more often than not, means Chet Morton and probably Iola and Callie too.)

The first time in the Original series I remember Joe showing any interest in someone other than Iola is in The Witchmakers Key. And, I could be wrong, but in : The Jungle Pyramid both Frank and Joe have "dates" with different girls.

MacGyver

Okay, I'll have to look at those again to see. It's been quite some years since I last read them. I guess I always got the impression that Iola and Joe and Frank and Callie were both couples as in boyfriend/girlfriend- but maybe they weren't quite "going steady" yet. However, they are favorite dates, as the books state a number of times- so I guess Frank and Joe wouldn't have really been cheating necessarily.

Olivia

Either I haven't read many Originals or it's been too long, but all I recall is a very brief mention of Iola and Callie once in a while. Like on one page in a story. Like I said though, it's probably for the reasons I stated.

MacGyver

Well, I guess after you read through them all, the constant description of Frank being 18 and 6 foot 1 and his brother Joe an inch and a year younger and Callie and Iola their favorite dates, respectively- it all kinda gets cemented in your mind after a while. At least I guess it did for me. (I'm not saying that such a description is necessarily in every single book- but it seems most of the revised books usually had a bit of a formula- a form statement really- where the basic facts, including the fact their father Fenton Hardy was once a NYC policeman but was now a private detective- is usually stated in the book somewhere, in case someone was reading The Hardy Boys for the first time.)
There's a similar repetitous pattern in the Encyclopedia Brown books for the same reason. (And after reading through them all, you almost get to the point where you can quote it since you've read it so much. Haha). :)

Olivia

Definitely. But it's obviously a good device for new readers to pick up the series that way.

The most recent, good example of this I can remember is in the Nancy Drew: Girl Detective series. They are able to do it in a way which is brief, but unique each time which is a credit to the writers. I'm a little surprised on how well the writing is for most books in that series (especially later ones - late 20's and up).

MacGyver

By the way, I got my copy of "Crawling with Zombies" today! Now if I can just get a chance to read it!
I was so excited to see that my local Books-A-Million is now carrying The Hardy Boys Graphic Novels again! (Well, the New Casefiles series anyway.) And I grabbed the Nancy Drew New Casefiles #1 title while I was at it.
Yeah- now maybe I won't have to order these all from Amazon anymore (as I had to do for the last few titles).