Recent posts

General Hardy Boys Discussions / Re: Hardy family relatives
Last post by MacGyver - September 19, 2024, 05:27:16 PM
Quote from: tomswift2002 on September 16, 2024, 04:32:36 PMLaura's name was given way back in 1927 by Leslie McFarlane.
Okay- thanks for clearing that up. I have only read a few of the original text books.
Last post by tomswift2002 - September 19, 2024, 10:26:44 AM
Quote from: CalvinKnox on September 18, 2024, 07:47:18 PMThanks for the info folks, not quite enough for a whole family tree ;D
Wasn't Mrs. Hardy accidentally called "Mildred" or something in one of the original books?

That was the original "The Mystery of the Flying Express", where Collig was also called Finch. 
Hardy Boys Originals / Digests / Re: No. 182 Secret of the Sold...
Last post by CalvinKnox - September 18, 2024, 08:11:15 PM
Quote from: tomswift2002 on September 13, 2024, 09:54:42 PMI haven't read it since 2003-04, and I recall that at the time it was ok but not good.  Otherwise in some ways I think it reminded me of "Evil In Amsterdam", but not as good and I don't recall much 20 years later.
Yes Evil in Amsterdam was heaps better, and not just because I'm dutch.
Spoiler the gold in The Secret of the Soldier's Gold, doesn't actually exist!  Turns out the soldier returned after the war and dug it up (so about 55 years before the story).  He had deposited it into a savings account which is handed over to Mrs. Rilke. 
Last post by CalvinKnox - September 18, 2024, 07:57:23 PM
Quote from: Bigfootman on September 14, 2024, 12:20:59 PMThe same ghostwriter wrote the Nancy Drew digest "The Mystery in Tornado Alley", which also killed off a villain. George Edward Stanley pretty did whatever he wanted with his books, and the editors didn't seem to care. He is pretty infamous for writing what are considered the worst books in the HB Digest series, "The Case of the Psychic's Vision" and "The Mystery of the Black Rhino". (I will say that one of his ND Digest books, "No Strings Attached", was pretty good)
I'm pretty sure I've read The Mystery in Tornado Alley, but it wasn't memorable.  Black Rhino was the first non GD Hardy Boy book I ever read.  I don't remember it being awful, however I dismissed all non GD books for the next 2 years, so there might be a connexion... 
Last post by CalvinKnox - September 18, 2024, 07:47:18 PM
Thanks for the info folks, not quite enough for a whole family tree ;D
Wasn't Mrs. Hardy accidentally called "Mildred" or something in one of the original books?
Last post by VLoneWolf - September 16, 2024, 04:48:04 PM
I think they have a cousin in the Mystery of the Whale Tattoo. Its been a long time since I read it but I think their Aunt Gertrude said her cousin Elmer? was going to visit.
Last post by tomswift2002 - September 16, 2024, 04:32:36 PM
Quote from: MacGyver on September 15, 2024, 08:46:00 PMThere's also their mother, Laura Hardy. :)  Is her first name given in the original series or is Laura only a more modern thing in recent series?

Laura's name was given way back in 1927 by Leslie McFarlane.
Last post by MacGyver - September 15, 2024, 08:55:10 PM
I can't say I remember much about this book but I will say that I do appreciate the title using the classic format that uses words like "mystery" or "secret" or "clue" in the title. The Secret of the Soldier's Gold is pretty cool for that reason at least.
Hardy Boys Casefiles / Re: #43 Strategic Moves (31st ...
Last post by MacGyver - September 15, 2024, 08:48:22 PM
I particularly enjoy the chess scenes in this book! :)  8)
Last post by MacGyver - September 15, 2024, 08:46:00 PM
There's also their mother, Laura Hardy. :)  Is her first name given in the original series or is Laura only a more modern thing in recent series?