The boys in pop culture

Started by SDLagent, December 07, 2009, 11:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Quote from: Judah-Ben-Hur on January 16, 2013, 02:27:48 PM
If memory serves me correctly the Boys were introduced to British readers post war.

The first British publication was in 1950, but apparently before that the G&D versions were imported into the Commonwealth countries, just like G&D and S&S do right now.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Judah-Ben-Hur

+Ah! thanks for clearing that up!
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.~ Joshua 1:9

MacGyver

Thanks for the link, Judah. And thanks to Tom for the clarification on the British printings. 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

In the classic 1985 Steven Spielberg movie The Goonies, Mikey Walsh suggests an escape plan from the Fratellis towards the end of the movie, when he and his friends are on the pirate ship- He suggests leaving at trail of jewels leading to one cave while he and his friends hide in another one. While the Fratellis are busy getting the jewels in the other cave, then the gang makes a run for it. Mikey says he saw this in The Hardy Boys.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

A live action replication of the While The Clock Ticked cover!  :) 8) Pretty cool- these guys just needed an old guy ducking behind the grandfather clock into a secret passageway.

MacGyver

A cover for  The Hardy Boys #191 if it existed. ;D
(Looks like a fun cover for a photo album of a road trip for these guys- nice that they're big enough Hardy Boys fans to know that the original series has 190 books.) And it's obviously referencing The Hardy Boys #1, The Tower Treasure.

VLoneWolf

I wish their really was a book 191.

MacGyver

Yeah- it is sad that the original Hardy Boys series came to an end after running continuously (minus a year where no new books came out in 1986) for 78 years since 1927!

But at least there are still spinoff series to enjoy, like the new Hardy Boys Adventures series! :) 8)

MacGyver

The Hardy Boys' side business. ;) ;D
(Maybe they trained some with Tony Prito's dad and then decided to start their own construction company alongside their detective business.) :) 8)

MacGyver

Pretty cool fan drawing of The Hardy Boys.

MacGyver

I'm pretty sure I've posted some of these type homemade craft items before and such- but here's a Hardy Boys purse...( that doesn't sound right saying that together like that- lol ;D)

I guess girls would find this pretty cool- but wouldn't it be better to get a scan of the book cover and use that as a print on the purse (or tote bag or whatever other item you want to put it on- like making one of those book safe things) than actually gutting the actual book for this project? I guess if you have an original text Hardy Boys book to spare (maybe a really beat up copy that barely qualifies as a reading copy or something), then go for it. But I'd hate to see perfectly good books getting sacrificed for this- that's like sacrificing one art form to create another....
Well, I would guess the creators of such items are more casual fans of The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew and not hardcore fans, obviously. If you like this, you can see more of such items here.

MacGyver

Another one of these, "Let's destroy a perfectly good book to make this artwork" type deals....

I mean- yeah, I realize an updated version of this book has been released since this original released in 1959, and this is art project is kinda cool and all- but did we really have to spoil an original text copy printing of The Hardy Boys Detective Handbook for it?

VLoneWolf

WOW the Hardy Boys are really busy they own a constution company!

MacGyver

I know- maybe they sell the business to Mr. Prito later on- I don't know how long they can solve crimes and mysteries all over the world and run a construction business- and attend high school- all at the same time..... ;D

MacGyver