The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew crossover gets graphic!

Started by SDLagent, November 30, 2010, 04:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

The third title in the Nancy Drew: The New Case Files series has been reveled on Amazon.com! "Together with the Hardy Boys" is written by the current writer of The Hardy Boys, Gerry Conway, and drawn by the current artist on the Nancy Drew series, Sho Murase. It is planned for a August 2011 release.

MacGyver

Cool! I guess they just went with a straightforward title. They're definitely hyping this up a good bit, but then it IS the first time The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew have met in comic book/graphic novel form. So it will be pretty cool- especially considering the twist that Frank and Joe aren't really working together at the time either. And it builds on events in both the Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys titles- so, of course, you'll want to buy both titles to keep up with what's going on in the crossover story. Those kinds of things are always good for sales. ;) But that's cool- I'm liking it so far. It will be interesting to see Sho Murase's version of The Hardy Boys.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

Yeah, it's pretty cool that this title will be continuing the plot lines set-up in the first two titles of each New Case Files series. I actually thought of this before Papercutz did!

And I'm glad Gerry Conway will be writing this. It's interesting that this is part of the main Nancy Drew series especially considering Conway's writing. You'd think they'd make this into it's own series.

hardygirl847

Wow! That's awesome! I am a little skeptical at the art choice just because I am not a huge fan of the ND art. BUT I will definitely give it a solid chance since Gerry is writing it.

Should be interesting. Hopefully August doesn't turn into December.  :-\
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

Quote from: hardygirl847 on November 30, 2010, 08:18:49 PMShould be interesting. Hopefully August doesn't turn into December.  :-\

I don't think it will considering they had a bit of time to work on this new series. I'm guessing this title's already close to done.

hardygirl847

I hope you're right about that! :) Is is just up on Amazon or available for pre-order too?
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

hardygirl847

tomswift2002

I wonder if later on they'll have a main-stream Hardy Boys New Casefiles with Nancy Drew crossing over that is written by the Nancy Drew writer?
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

That'd be cool with me. Or maybe even one with both writers collaborating. I guess maybe graphic novels and comics are done differently, even when based on existing properties, but I've kinda wondered why they don't list the comics for both as being authored by "Franklin W. Dixon" and "Carolyn Keene", respectively. (rather than just "based on stories by...") I mean, I know the writers need recognition certainly- but apparently Papercutz didn't have to maintain the Dixon and Keene personas. (It kind of reminds me of Santa Claus or The Phantom and Zorro to some degree- and with the current comics run, Batman too for that matter.) So for the books, different ghostwriters have come through writing them- but they've always been attributed to Dixon and/or Keene. But there's a distinction with the graphic novels. Of course, if someone honestly was writing these books since 1927, they would most certainly have to be (assuming they were a child prodigy and authoring books since they were in their teens perhaps) well at about 100 years old or more. Which would be really pretty funny to think of all the change in language and writing styles that The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books have gone through over the years and to think that a centenarian has been adapting their writing through all this time.
And this has definitely segued way off the main topic, so I'll stop here. ;D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

I guess having the same writer writing both novels and graphic novels is even harder to believe than having the same writer write 400 novels.

That and Franklin W. Dixon is owned by S&S not Papercutz.

MacGyver

hardygirl847

I kind of wondered that myself. It makes sense that Papercutz wouldn't be able to use the Dixon pen name.  Frankly, (haha) the direction that this new series is going is very different from other series. Maybe it's better that there is a distinction in the author as well.

Either way, we're almost 3 months away from Break Up! WAHOO!

SkyWarp

These graphic novels are getting durther and further apart.  :( 

And the Hardy Boys haven't realy been mentioned much on the papercutz blog like Nancy or other of their new series (smurfs, garfield, disney fairies, etc).  This worries me. Anyone know what sales are looking like for "Crawling with Zombies" as compared to previous graphic novels?

SDLagent

No, I don't but I don't think we need to start worrying, yet, considering the new series just started. You're right, though, Papercutz hasn't been mentioning the series much.