The Hardy Boys - S2E10 - An Unexpected Return

Started by SkyWarp, April 14, 2022, 08:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyWarp

All the thread plots were certainly NOT finished at the end.  That is not a bad thing (unless the series doesn't get picked up for a third season). 

So the season definitely ended somewhat better than it started.  But I am honestly not so sure I am looking forward to another season like I was was for this one. 

The good:
Acting.  Every single actor and actress did a great job. 
Plot.  The overall plot was good as well. 
Cliffhanger(s).  You might have been able to guess one of them, but they had at least three.

The not so good (or just out right BAD):
The extra social political statements.  At this point no one is surprised by forced social relationships in tv shows.  They are all over the place.  But it is really getting to the point where tv shows are starting to suffer more than just a little complaint about them.  Now its taking away from the story and plot and just using up time with no purpose.  Erica for instance.  A HUGE waste of screen time and a major distraction from the overall story. 

The social pushing overshadows so much of a good story because it is often not a natural story element and distracts from the overall story.  This one started that way pretty heavily.  It was very hard to get past that in many instances for an entire episode or two. 

Anyway, I am not sure where they can go from here.  I definitely like the cliffhanger with who Fenton found at the end of the story.  I am even interested in where the Abigail Owens story goes.  But honestly, I am not so sure about the actual main cliffhanger.  I am not sure I could watch more than one episode or two with this not resolved.  The real story at this point I think is the scrolls and relics.  Not the cliffhanger.  So if there is another season, I would hope we get that fixed up quickly. 

MacGyver

Judging from your reviews, this season is sounding like The Mickey Mouse Club's "The Mystery of Ghost Farm" to Season 1's "The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure".
I personally enjoy both of those serials well enough but I definitely like the first one a bit better.
It's sad to hear the second season of this show has slid down so much but Frankly (and Joely), I'm not surprised.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Looks like I won't bother with trying to watch it.

MacGyver

I finally watched the last episode of Season 2. For the sake of not putting any spoilers here in case anyone hasn't seen it yet, I'll avoid mentioning specifics. That said, I found the ending of this season quite interesting. Once again, a lot of questions were answered and once again, a lot of new questions emerged.
   The way that the sci-fi elements have come into this show, I feel like there should be a Tom Swift crossover. (Not the one currently on TV though please. Let this show be its own universe.)
     I am quite interested to see where the storyline goes with the person Fenton Hardy encountered at the end of the episode. The ongoing mystery with the relics and scrolls is certainly interesting, particularly in regards to their origins and the ultimate plot of the Estabrooks. And I'm certainly interested to see the resolution to the big cliffhanger left open at the end too.
    Oh yeah- I also appreciated the reference to What Happened at Midnight as well. (Nothing specifically related to the book; just the title getting said in a different context.)
    I will be quite interested to see how this all wraps up in Season 3!

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MysteryFan89

Quote from: MacGyver on November 25, 2022, 01:24:15 PMI finally watched the last episode of Season 2. For the sake of not putting any spoilers here in case anyone hasn't seen it yet, I'll avoid mentioning specifics. That said, I found the ending of this season quite interesting. Once again, a lot of questions were answered and once again, a lot of new questions emerged.
  The way that the sci-fi elements have come into this show, I feel like there should be a Tom Swift crossover. (Not the one currently on TV though please. Let this show be its own universe.)
    I am quite interested to see where the storyline goes with the person Fenton Hardy encountered at the end of the episode. The ongoing mystery with the relics and scrolls is certainly interesting, particularly in regards to their origins and the ultimate plot of the Estabrooks. And I'm certainly interested to see the resolution to the big cliffhanger left open at the end too.
    Oh yeah- I also appreciated the reference to What Happened at Midnight as well. (Nothing specifically related to the book; just the title getting said in a different context.)
    I will be quite interested to see how this all wraps up in Season 3!

Don't worry, the Tom Swift TV show was awful and very black-centered, ugh.. ::)

MacGyver

Quote from: MysteryFan89 on May 26, 2023, 02:49:39 PMDon't worry, the Tom Swift TV show was awful and very black-centered, ugh.. ::)
Just reading a quote from the lead actor about the emphasis the show put on remaking the mold of Tom Swift makes it clear the show would be bad. Changing the core character and moral of the lead character is not a good move. Stay true to the book.

tomswift2002

Quote from: MysteryFan89 on May 26, 2023, 02:49:39 PMDon't worry, the Tom Swift TV show was awful and very black-centered, ugh.. ::)

That being, said, the Hardy Boys series could use a different Tom Swift, since the Tom Swift character is in the public domain—-they just couldn't use the Tom Swift that appeared in later books or series.  So they could introduce a Tom Swift that is more faithful to the Tom Swift that first appeared in Tom Swift And His Motorcycle.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MysteryFan89

Quote from: MacGyver on May 26, 2023, 11:27:24 PMJust reading a quote from the lead actor about the emphasis the show put on remaking the mold of Tom Swift makes it clear the show would be bad. Changing the core character and moral of the lead character is not a good move. Stay true to the book.
"We're not nerds. We're black nerds..."

I'm sorry, but what the heck? If me, a white woman would say something like that I'd get so much hate. And why did they have to be pro LGBT+?

MacGyver

Quote from: MysteryFan89 on May 27, 2023, 04:09:24 PM"We're not nerds. We're black nerds..."

I'm sorry, but what the heck? If me, a white woman would say something like that I'd get so much hate. And why did they have to be pro LGBT+?

That is indeed a weird distinction to make. And the sexual immorality in the show is one of the departures from the book series I don't care to see either.

MysteryFan89

Quote from: MacGyver on May 27, 2023, 04:32:07 PMThat is indeed a weird distinction to make. And the sexual immorality in the show is one of the departures from the book series I don't care to see either.
You thought it was off too? I mean, I don't like racism, but that's like saying people of color are better than those that are not. at least to me.

MacGyver

On the surface, it sounds weird. I would need to hear the context of the quote to understand the point better.

MysteryFan89

Quote from: MacGyver on May 28, 2023, 07:39:37 PMOn the surface, it sounds weird. I would need to hear the context of the quote to understand the point better.
QuoteOpening Shot: Flames swirl while we hear a voice over say: "Let me tell you about the Swift family. We're not nerds; we're Black nerds. Oh, and billionaires, with the fastest whips that money can't buy. And swag."

That's the line that turned me off. 

MacGyver

There it just sounds like it's establishing that it's a Black family by way of identification. Thus, it doesn't seem weird in context.

MysteryFan89

Quote from: MacGyver on May 29, 2023, 01:49:16 AMThere it just sounds like it's establishing that it's a Black family by way of identification. Thus, it doesn't seem weird in context.
Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm just glad that show got cancelled.