Hardys and Facial Hair

Started by hardygirl847, September 22, 2010, 02:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardygirl847

OK so this is a silly question...but do you think Frank or Joe would ever have facial hair? Before you think I'm completely insane for asking...I have a plot bunny circling in my head. However, the boys are older...Frank is about 24 and Joe would be 23. Frank will need a disguise or something at some point. Thus, the issue of facial hair came up. Would they grow it (or buy it), and what amount do you think they would have? Just a mustache, a fumanchu (sp), beard, or goatee?

Gosh I feel so funny asking this but I am curious if it will work in my story or not. Thanks for your opinions in advance!
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

I think references to the boys shaving were made a few times in the series so, I guess, they can grow facial hair. But, strangely enough, even when they're on a case or tied-up in a bad guy's hideout with no access to a shaving kit, they're always clean-shaven.

MacGyver

I don't think it matters much one way or the other, unless it directlys relates to a case The Hardy Boys are working on. For example, if they're going undercover as elderly Jewish men at the synagogue, I'm guessing they'd be growing full down-to-the-stomach beards. :D
But I feel they do keep pretty clean-shaven. Though once again, if one of them were to maintain facial hair, somehow I get the feeling that it would be Joe who might sport a scraggly beard whereas Frank might go so far as a neatly trimmed mustache. But that's just my opinion on that.
Why are Frank and Joe in their 20s in this story? Are you working on The Hardy Men script now? ;)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

In the Hardy Boys TV show from 1995, about 1/2 the episodes have Frank with a beard.  Of course the boys are about 22 and 20, respectively, in the series.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

I thought he did- I couldn't remember for sure offhand. So anyway, I guess Frank has sported a beard in at least one version of The Hardy Boys media.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

At the end of To Die or Not to Die?, Frank looks like he hasn't shaved in awhile.

Quote from: tomswift2002 on September 22, 2010, 05:25:53 PM
In the Hardy Boys TV show from 1995, about 1/2 the episodes have Frank with a beard.  Of course the boys are about 22 and 20, respectively, in the series.

Really? A full beard or just whiskers.

MacGyver

I recall it being mainly whisker hairs on his chin - I'll have to pull out the DVDs and look to really confirm.

hardygirl847

Quote from: SDLagent on September 22, 2010, 02:48:38 PM
I think references to the boys shaving were made a few times in the series so, I guess, they can grow facial hair. But, strangely enough, even when they're on a case or tied-up in a bad guy's hideout with no access to a shaving kit, they're always clean-shaven.

Lol That's so true! I never thought about that before because I honestly can't remember a reference to them shaving. Perhaps I haven't paid enough attention to that detail before. They do get kidnapped a lot or even in situations where they wouldn't be able to groom. Hmm...that's quite interesting.

Quote from: MacGyver on September 22, 2010, 04:15:00 PM
I don't think it matters much one way or the other, unless it directlys relates to a case The Hardy Boys are working on. For example, if they're going undercover as elderly Jewish men at the synagogue, I'm guessing they'd be growing full down-to-the-stomach beards. :D
But I feel they do keep pretty clean-shaven. Though once again, if one of them were to maintain facial hair, somehow I get the feeling that it would be Joe who might sport a scraggly beard whereas Frank might go so far as a neatly trimmed mustache. But that's just my opinion on that.
Why are Frank and Joe in their 20s in this story? Are you working on The Hardy Men script now? ;)

lol Well the amount of hair they have would be more clean cut and well kept. I don't think I could write either one of them with unruly hair. They are gorgeous men in my mind's eye. :D I can see where you would think Joe would be more scraggily than Frank. That fits their personalities better.

I wrote my first story with them as their normal ages but am writing the next few as if years have passed by. NO HARDY MEN script here! Ugh! No way! But I do feel that it gives me more of a license to add more, change some little things, or take it to the "places" I want to go without infringing on their canon series. Plus, they do have to grow up a little...right? :)

Quote from: tomswift2002 on September 22, 2010, 05:25:53 PM

Ok I don't remember Parker having any facial hair. Oh wait...you said 1995. Well, I haven't watched those in awhile...I don't even know if I would call them a true Frank and Joe Hardy. They kinda tried...but not really. So, that example of him having whiskers or such...is eh. Good call and thanks for the heads up. I didn't even think of that. But to me, they weren't the best portrayals of the boys anyways.

Thanks for all your input. I am still letting it circle around in my head. I think it would be better for him to have a disguise for many reasons. Some of which I don't want to discuss because they would ruin plot points. BUT I also think it would help with the Bruce Wayne/Batman or Clark Kent/Superman thing. I can kinda see how people didn't know Bruce Wayne was Batman. Superman though...all he had different was his hair (more slicked back) and no glasses. Really??? You couldn't guess there was even an resemblance?? lol

Would it be more plausible that Frank would dye his hair? Not pink or green or anything crazy like that. I always picture him with very dark brown hair...even though it says black in the original blue spines. Anyways, I do NOT see him as a blond...even undercover. But it would make him look different.

Oh crud...more plot bunnies...What do you think? Dye his hair or grow some facial hair? I can already see a few jokes from Joe about either one....hmm....
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

Quote from: hardygirl847 on September 23, 2010, 08:32:43 PMThanks for all your input. I am still letting it circle around in my head. I think it would be better for him to have a disguise for many reasons. Some of which I don't want to discuss because they would ruin plot points. BUT I also think it would help with the Bruce Wayne/Batman or Clark Kent/Superman thing. I can kinda see how people didn't know Bruce Wayne was Batman. Superman though...all he had different was his hair (more slicked back) and no glasses. Really??? You couldn't guess there was even an resemblance?? lol

I think the opposite. To me Clark/Superman is a lot more believable than Bruce/Batman.

MacGyver

Well, it stands to reason that someone who has the access to the level of technology and weaponry and such that Batman has would have to be funded by someone with some serious money. Of course, Bruce Wayne lives a playboy lifestyle so that the pretense among those circles is that he's just a lazy rich guy who doesn't care about the world's problems and certainly wouldn't be putting himself out there to do anything about it. But someone might also look more closely and make a guess that Bruce Wayne might at least be funding Batman.
    With Superman, I think the main thing that works for him is that he doesn't wear a mask. Batman wears a mask so you automatically know that, unless he's wearing it for some other reason- like how Cyclops wears a visor not so much to conceal his identity but to help him train his laser blasts- then you can know Batman must have an identity he wants to keep secret. With Superman, there technically is no secret identity. People just see his face and just know him as Superman- there is no mask and thus no reason to assume there's an identity hidden there. Yes, people probably think he must have a separate life when he's not out saving the world, but they don't think he's hiding it. It also helps that Superman has always stood for truth, justice and the American way- so he presents that image to the world.
    Clark Kent uses the glasses and he combs his hair differently to help conceal his identity as Superman. But a huge part of it is also his mannerisms- he plays into people's egos. Just watch Christopher Reeve perform as Clark Kent in the Superman movies. There are some points when I actually cringe at Clark Kent's ineptness and clumsiness- that's how good an actor Christopher Reeve was. When I'm about at the point of looking away in embarrassment for him, that's perfect for the part of Clark Kent. Because people like Lois Lane and others just see Clark as this nerdy reporter guy who's way too wimpy to be Superman. It's precisely because of human nature and its inherent pride that people look in disdain on Clark Kent because they can't imagine him as the dreamy and hunky (for the girls anyway)- or manly, cool and heroic (for the guys) superhero that he really is.
     This is one reason I love Superman because this aspect so fits very well into the Christ figure that he certainly serves well as. (And which comic book writers and movie screenplay writers have all acknowledged.) It reminds me of one of my favorite passages from The Bible- (1 Corinthians 1:25-29)
"For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.
Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things?and the things that are not?to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him."

MacGyver

Okay- so I went way off topic with the Superman and Batman comparisons, but being a comic books fan, I had to mention that. :D

SDLagent

Yeah, I agree with you, MacGyver. People don't even realize Superman has a secret identity so why would they suspect Clark? Sure, people might tell Clark he looks like Superman once in awhile but I'm sure you've been compared to a famous person, too.

With Batman, however, everyone in Gotham wonders who Batman is. Now, who has both the money  and the motive to fund Batman? Gotham's favourite son, Bruce Wayne.

Quote from: hardygirl847 on September 23, 2010, 08:32:43 PM
Lol That's so true! I never thought about that before because I honestly can't remember a reference to them shaving. Perhaps I haven't paid enough attention to that detail before. They do get kidnapped a lot or even in situations where they wouldn't be able to groom. Hmm...that's quite interesting.

The reference I remember is when Frank or Joe (I can't remember) pack their shaving kit over they go on a trip in one of later Bluespines.

hardygirl847

Wow....that was intense. I didn't mean to stir up so much controversy about Bruce Wayne/Batman...and Superman/Clark Kent. :)

I am not an avid comic book reader so I suppose some of those points were things I never thought of. I do appreciate your point of view and commitment to detail. :) Thanks for giving me a different perspective.

Not to change the subject or anything  :D but....I'm still on the fence though with my Frank problem. There's upkeep with both shaving and dying hair. If it was over a longer period of time, his hair would turn back to dark brown or he would have to keep dying it. If he shaved, it might be easier to have normal upkeep. Suddenly having no facial hair is less shocking or suspicious than blond hair showing dark roots. It's hard to explain what I mean without giving away some important details...

JoeFan4ever

I think Frank would be good with stubble. Not too extravagant.  ;)

SDLagent