Hardy names

Started by SDLagent, September 07, 2010, 03:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

Looking through an old baby name book made me wonder what the Hardys' names mean...

Gertrude - Old German: "spear strength; warrior woman."
Fenton - Old English: "from marshland farm."
Francis - Latin: "Frenchman."
Franklin - Middle English: "free landowner."
Joseph - Hebrew: "he shall add."
Laura - Latin: "crown of laurel leaves."

And last, but not least, Hardy, a Old German name, means "bold and daring." Personally, I thought Gertrude and the family name were most the appropriate.

MacGyver

Very cool. Joseph is also a Biblical name- I wonder if Joe was meant to have any parallels... I can kinda see some of the youthful, brashful attitude there- what with Joseph's dream of the sun, moon and 11 stars bowing down to him- maybe he did come across as boastful to his family (though of course, it was prophetic) Of course, Frank would never sell Joe into slavery. And God used Joseph to deliver the Egyptians and the Israelites from a famine... well- maybe Edward Stratemeyer just liked the name Joe.
Interesting to look at though...
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

Don't you mean just Frank? :P
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

Quote from: hardygirl847 on September 07, 2010, 09:07:21 PM
Don't you mean just Frank? :P

That's a name with no meaning. LOL. The book says it's a common form of Francis or Franklin.

hardygirl847

Poor Frank!! That can't be right! But still...he isn't Francis for sure...and not Franklin either. Wait! Here is something....

Origin:
Germanic

Meaning:
Javelin

Origin:
Latin

Meaning:
Free

Origin:
English

Meaning:
Honest

Found on http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/meaning_of_Frank.html

Honest is definitely accurate.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

Criss

in Germany, the Franken are an old tribe. They origin around Nuremberg in Bavaria. They have a special dialect, not to be mixed up with Bavarian.

there is also a saying: when you say something "frank und frei", you say it freely and without hesitation (like frankly)

Criss

Quote from: SDLagent on September 07, 2010, 03:52:58 PM
And last, but not least, Hardy, a Old German name, means "bold and daring." Personally, I thought Gertrude and the family name were most the appropriate.

sorry, but I have never heard of a German word "Hardy"
I've only heard it in connection with the German actor Hardy Krueger. Here Hardy is short for Eberhard (which is his real name)

SDLagent

Well, I don't know for sure but if Old German's "relationship" with modern German is anything like Old English and English, I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it.