The Hardy Boys - S1E9 - The Key

Started by SkyWarp, December 06, 2020, 03:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyWarp

You can tell we are getting close to the end.  More and more people are finding out that others know more than they have let on. 

The mystery deepens and you are thrown a little back and forth on who the real bad guys might be.  Who really killed who?

The mysteriousness of the new girl at Bridgeport School is also taking form and Callie is all over it.  But it has really made it tough on her relationship with Chet and Frank. 

Grilbridge (don't know the spelling, just going by what they say) appears to be another school in a town somewhere not too far from Bridgeport.  Callie has a cousin named "Marina" (again not sure on the spelling) at this school. 

This episode also fully leads us down the "secret society led by three families that own pieces of a powerful artifact" route.  Maybe a Indiana Jones or Tomb Raider vibe at times with secret rooms, puzzle keys, and artifacts. 

To be honest, I could see a Tom Swift crossover with this series much better than the CW Nancy Drew series. 

WARNING SPOILERS

Meanwhile, we now know for sure that Ezra is working for Grandma Gloria Estabrook at times and Jesse Hooper is now being left out of the information flow because of it.  But does Biff have a significant role in bringing her back in? 

tomswift2002

Well with Tom Swift, they could also have him cross over and not be the same Tom Swift as in the Nancy Drew show.  As a character, if he's based off the 1910 Tom Swift then he's public domain, so they wouldn't need S&S's permission to use him, unless they wanted to use a piece from one of the still-under-copyright books.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

For this show, it seems like it would make more sense to use the Tom Swift from the 1990s series (Tom Swift IV).
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

After watching this episode, I don't have much to add. I did notice a moment where Chet defends the cafeteria food at school as okay, which is nicely in keeping with his character (in the books at least) of being a voracious eater.
There was also another '80s music moment, this time featuring I Want Candy by Bow Wow Wow.
The episode storyline itself was quite intriguing as many things start coming together. I can't wait to see what happens next! :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on December 07, 2020, 07:14:09 AM
Well with Tom Swift, they could also have him cross over and not be the same Tom Swift as in the Nancy Drew show.  As a character, if he's based off the 1910 Tom Swift then he's public domain, so they wouldn't need S&S's permission to use him, unless they wanted to use a piece from one of the still-under-copyright books.

The Tom Swift in the CW Nancy Drew is black, and gay. so unless they're using that, couldn't they use that character?

MacGyver

Having watched at least one episode of The CW Nancy Drew show and most all the episodes of Hulu's , I can definitely say that those two shows are nowhere near on the same kind of level. I don't know if rights will allow for this but if Hulu's Hardy Boys ever wanted to meet Nancy Drew and/or Tom Swift, the show would definitely need to introduce its own version of the characters. (Fox example, Disney and Fox did this with two different versions of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in the various Marvel and X-Men movies.)
   Let's just see about getting a second season first though before worrying about crossovers. :)  8)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on December 15, 2020, 10:22:30 PM
Having watched at least one episode of The CW Nancy Drew show and most all the episodes of Hulu's , I can definitely say that those two shows are nowhere near on the same kind of level. I don't if rights will allow for this but if Hulu's Hardy Boys ever wanted to meet Nancy Drew and/or Tom Swift, the show would definitely need to introduce its own version of the characters. (Fox example, Disney and Fox did this with two different versions of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in the various Marvel and X-Men movies.)
   Let's just see about getting a second season first though before worrying about crossovers. :) 8)

Who do you think the Hardys would meet first? Nancy Drew or Tom Swift?

MacGyver

Without a doubt, Nancy Drew is WAY more popular and would be a much more likely candidate for a crossover- and I think it's a crossover most fans would want too. I am rather surprised Tom Swift is appearing on the CW's Nancy Drew honestly. I wonder if that was because the show couldn't get the rights to have The Hardy Boys appear. If that's the case, then Hulu's The Hardy Boys show may not be able to get either Nancy Drew or Tom Swift to appear. Maybe The Hardy Boys could meet up with The Bobbsey Twins instead. With the younger-skewing ages on this show, it could actually work. Bert and Nan would be the same age as Joe and Biff at 12 years old.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on December 16, 2020, 06:00:22 PM
Without a doubt, Nancy Drew is WAY more popular and would be a much more likely candidate for a crossover- and I think it's a crossover most fans would want too. I am rather surprised Tom Swift is appearing on the CW's Nancy Drew honestly. I wonder if that was because the show couldn't get the rights to have The Hardy Boys appear. If that's the case, then Hulu's The Hardy Boys show may not be able to get either Nancy Drew or Tom Swift to appear. Maybe The Hardy Boys could meet up with The Bobbsey Twins instead. With the younger-skewing ages on this show, it could actually work. Bert and Nan would be the same age as Joe and Biff at 12 years old.

Well, actually, about the Bobbsey Twins...https://www.cbr.com/nancy-drew-bobbsey-twins-season-2-cast/

Raven

Well, actually, about the Bobbsey Twins...https://www.cbr.com/nancy-drew-bobbsey-twins-season-2-cast/
How many series books are they going to ruin?  :(

MacGyver

:o :-\
Wayz!
By wait- I said The Bobbsey Twins would work well with Hulu's The Hardy Boys- NOT the CW's Nancy Drew! Weren't these TV people listening when I made my post? ;)

Well- yeah, as Raven noted, there's another series ruined in its adaptation. I mean, it is nice to see The Bobbsey Twins get a media adaptation after 116 years since the book series started. This is definitely not one I want though. They aren't even using the right names and now the older twins engage in petty crimes? And if anyone took the lead, it was fairly often Bert, though I think both he and Nan equally took charge at times. And I take it they are now Indian, I guess- and we're not even bothering with the younger set of twins?
Whatever.
   Thanks for posting the link. It is kinda neat to know, but also largely depressing to see characters I love getting ruined in their media adaptations.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on December 17, 2020, 09:22:08 AM
:o :-\
Wayz!
By wait- I said The Bobbsey Twins would work well with Hulu's The Hardy Boys- NOT the CW's Nancy Drew! Weren't these TV people listening when I made my post? ;)

Well- yeah, as Raven noted, there's another series ruined in its adaptation. I mean, it is nice to see The Bobbsey Twins get a media adaptation after 116 years since the book series started. This is definitely not one I want though. They aren't even using the right names and now the older twins engage in petty crimes? And if anyone took the lead, it was fairly often Bert, though I think both he and Nan equally took charge at times. And I take it they are now Indian, I guess- and we're not even bothering with the younger set of twins?
Whatever.
   Thanks for posting the link. It is kinda neat to know, but also largely depressing to see characters I love getting ruined in their media adaptations.

Guessing they didn't listen. ???  Now, who were the The Bobbsey Twins? Was it about two sets of twins that solved cases like Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys?

MacGyver

The Bobbsey Twins books are actually older than Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys or Tom Swift. That series was started in 1904! It revolved around the Bobbsey family- lumber yard owner Richard Bobbsey and his wife Mary and their four children- two sets of fraternal twins. The older twins, Bert and Nan, are 12 and the younger twins, Freddie and Flossie, are 6. The siblings solve mysteries together. These books are aimed at younger readers and have been billed as "A Pre Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys Mystery Book". It's a great, fun series and it has never received a TV or movie adaptation, as far as I know.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on December 17, 2020, 04:51:17 PM
The Bobbsey Twins books are actually older than Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys or Tom Swift. That series was started in 1904! It revolved around the Bobbsey family- lumber yard owner Richard Bobbsey and his wife Mary and their four children- two sets of fraternal twins. The older twins, Bert and Nan, are 12 and the younger twins, Freddie and Flossie, are 6. The siblings solve mysteries together. These books are aimed at younger readers and have been billed as "A Pre Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys Mystery Book". It's a great, fun series and it has never received a TV or movie adaptation, as far as I know.

Would you say Tom Swift is kind of like the new MacGyver?

tomswift2002

Quote from: Raven on December 16, 2020, 11:06:17 PM
How many series books are they going to ruin?  :(
I'm not too pleased that they are making Tom Swift gay. 

But with both Tom Swift and the Bobbsey Twins they are public domain characters.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca