The Hardy Boys Crawling with Zombies!

Started by hardygirl847, October 21, 2010, 11:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Well, I finally got around to reading this title. And wow- it is just a bit different from Lobdell's run. I kinda find the idea of these various social networking social functions like "zombie crawls" to be pretty stupid, but it was a nice tie-in to current happenings and this series definitely tries hard to tie in with current and hip things for teenagers, so that's good.
I was definitely taken aback by the gunplay involved- not that Lobdell didn't use guns at some point, but I can't recall anyone dying in the graphic novels offhand-or at least not a teenager at point blank range like that. I couldn't help but think we had a bit of Conway's Punisher-style action there.
And there're obvious hints about where the series is heading with Frank and Joe's comments and all- but I hope this doesn't get to be a permanent thing. But it should be fun seeing the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys crossover- definitely looking forward to that.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

Yeah the girl getting killed in the doorway was pretty surprising. Conway is definitely fighting to pull the Hardys into a new direction. I don't think he could have the series continue with them being apart the rest of the time. They will get together again. I look forward to what he will do next. It's going to be interesting. :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

Quote from: MacGyver on December 13, 2010, 07:28:17 PM
Well, I finally got around to reading this title. And wow- it is just a bit different from Lobdell's run. I kinda find the idea of these various social networking social functions like "zombie crawls" to be pretty stupid, but it was a nice tie-in to current happenings and this series definitely tries hard to tie in with current and hip things for teenagers, so that's good.
I was definitely taken aback by the gunplay involved- not that Lobdell didn't use guns at some point, but I can't recall anyone dying in the graphic novels offhand-or at least not a teenager at point blank range like that. I couldn't help but think we had a bit of Conway's Punisher-style action there.
And there're obvious hints about where the series is heading with Frank and Joe's comments and all- but I hope this doesn't get to be a permanent thing. But it should be fun seeing the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys crossover- definitely looking forward to that.

Quite a few character's died in Lobdell's run. Usually they were found dead, though.

MacGyver

Okay- well, that's the difference then. I don't think you generally saw too many (if any) murders actually taking place in Lobdell's titles.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

Unfortunately this kind of violence is everywhere...even for kids to see. I thought it was surprising, but wasn't totally flabbergasted or anything. The sad thing is we get desensitized.

It's a sign of things to come....Hopefully nothing too gruesome will happen in later stories. Especially not to Frank or Joe.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

Hopefully not. But when I think of Gerry Conway, I can't help but remember he's a co-creator of The Punisher. That level of violence is definitely way past the limit for The Hardy Boys.
But then again, he's also a co-creator of Firestorm. I don't remember him being too violent. I'm sure Conway knows how to balance those kinds of things though of course.
But it is funny to have a connection to The Punisher and the Marvel comics world with The Hardy Boys. Of course, The Punisher already crossed over with Archie, so I guess Bayport can handle a little vigilante justice if Riverdale can. ;D 
But Archie's definitely toned that supposed violence level a good bit with their DC comics crossover- Little Archie and the gang are currently meeting up with the Tiny Titans. Aw, yeah! :D

SDLagent

I'm sure Papercutz is pretty strict on how much violence there is in their titles. They have branded themselves as publishers for teens and "tweens", afterall.

MacGyver

Yeah, I'm sure they would be- it's just funny to think of the change in gears that Conway would have to make from other titles as far as the violence level and such goes. But I guess that's a sign of a good writer in that he can be versatile for different audiences- and follow set guidelines of course.

hardygirl847

Well considering the level of swear words that is allowed on television, the perimeters can change. I don't want too much violence in the HBs books but there can be some.

I just finished the whole 1995 series (while doing loads of other stuff too :) ) and they actually SMOKED to get into a building. They complained and said it was a nasty habit, but I was shocked. HBs in the books would NEVER do that.

Interesting how things can change....but I'm sure they will keep it minimal.

MacGyver

Yeah, I think I recall that scene. There are a few things like that in the 1995 The Hardy Boys series that I don't always like. In the "Pilot" episode of MacGyver, MacGyver also did the same thing in order to use the smoke to detect hidden laser beams, but he also made a gagging noise and I'm pretty sure referred to it as a nasty habit. This is also the only time you see him doing this as he generally seems to be against smoking otherwise throughout the series.

SDLagent

Quote from: hardygirl847 on December 15, 2010, 12:13:00 AM
Well considering the level of swear words that is allowed on television, the perimeters can change. I don't want too much violence in the HBs books but there can be some.

I just finished the whole 1995 series (while doing loads of other stuff too :) ) and they actually SMOKED to get into a building. They complained and said it was a nasty habit, but I was shocked. HBs in the books would NEVER do that.

Interesting how things can change....but I'm sure they will keep it minimal.

I don't really see it as out-of-character for Frank and Joe to smoke to smoke to make their cover story more believable or something like that. And in the Original continuity it wouldn't be unlikely for Frank and Joe to pick-up the habit considering Fenton smokes.

hardygirl847

I dunno...I don't think they would. FENTON SMOKES? In what book or books does he smoke?

Due to the series starting in the 20s, I can see why it would be in there for an adult to smoke, but I still don't see Frank and Joe doing it. I can see where you're coming from on that one...but to me, they try to stay away from consuming alcohol (at least too much) and smoking.

Now for a case, I guess it's not that crazy but it was different for me.

MacGyver

I don't know that Frank and Joe have ever been seen consuming alcohol. Especially considering that alcohol was contraband when the series started (it was 1927- Prohibition was still in place.) And with the law today, Frank and Joe are underage to drink since neither is 21. So I'm pretty you will never see them drinking at all. I'm not surprised that Fenton is probably depicted as smoking in the original text. In 1927, people were simply not aware of the medical problems, like say lung cancer, that smoking brings on. It was just looked at as a harmless hobby and/or pleasure habit. Even so, I don't think I could ever see Frank and Joe smoking. Somehow, even in those days, it still seems like it was the kind of thing reserved for adults and not something kids would've been allowed to do. Considering that the main audience of The Hardy Boys books are all underage for both smoking and drinking, I would think the writers would be careful to have Joe and Frank stand against those things and never partaking. Even for a case, I don't think that sends a good message.

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on December 15, 2010, 07:26:39 PM
I don't know that Frank and Joe have ever been seen consuming alcohol. Especially considering that alcohol was contraband when the series started (it was 1927- Prohibition was still in place.) And with the law today, Frank and Joe are underage to drink since neither is 21. So I'm pretty you will never see them drinking at all. I'm not surprised that Fenton is probably depicted as smoking in the original text. In 1927, people were simply not aware of the medical problems, like say lung cancer, that smoking brings on. It was just looked at as a harmless hobby and/or pleasure habit. Even so, I don't think I could ever see Frank and Joe smoking. Somehow, even in those days, it still seems like it was the kind of thing reserved for adults and not something kids would've been allowed to do. Considering that the main audience of The Hardy Boys books are all underage for both smoking and drinking, I would think the writers would be careful to have Joe and Frank stand against those things and never partaking. Even for a case, I don't think that sends a good message.

With smoking, I think that in a few of the Original texts from the 20's and 30's there is mention of Fenton having a pipe, just like Carson Drew smoked from a pipe (and Nancy gave him a brand-new pipe in the 1978 Nancy Drew episode Will The Real Santa Claus...).  But whether Fenton actually used the pipe, or just had it around so that whenever friends were over that were smoking from pipes, Fenton could sort of join in without actually smoking, I don't know.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Maybe they used their pipes like Popeye told his son he used his- it's just for tooting, not for smoking. ;)