New Hardy Boys Starter Set

Started by SDLagent, May 21, 2009, 03:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

It is definitely up to your preference really. I've got some of both the heads on the spine style and the flashlight style. Of course, I don't care too much about the style over having the actual book in some format or another.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

The cover isn't as important as the version of the story itself. Are these "newer" ones just as well written or should I hold out and buy the old versions on Amazon or Ebay?
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

No, same story. The ones you can buy in the store, new, are the revised texts of 1-38, and the original (and only) texts of 39-58.

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on March 03, 2010, 04:33:07 PM
No, same story. The ones you can buy in the store, new, are the revised texts of 1-38, and the original (and only) texts of 39-58.

You can also still buy in the "new" stores the 1927-1928 editions of #'s 1-6, with a box set of those coming out in September.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

Yeah, those are the facsimiles we've been talking about in another thread.

hardygirl847

Quote from: tomswift2002 on March 03, 2010, 06:53:10 PM
You can also still buy in the "new" stores the 1927-1928 editions of #'s 1-6, with a box set of those coming out in September.

Perhaps I should wait until September to get the facsimiles of 1-6 and return the ones I just bought?

Part of me wants to have the older versions because that is how they came out originally. I suppose it depends on how much they were revised and why...

I really appreciate your help on this. :) I'm not totally against having both copies (OT/RT) but I do want the most bang for my buck, ya know?
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

I think the original texts and revised texts are different enough that you can own a copy of each.

hardygirl847

Quote from: SDLagent on March 04, 2010, 05:15:38 PM
I think the original texts and revised texts are different enough that you can own a copy of each.

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks! :)

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on March 04, 2010, 05:15:38 PM

Upto #24 The Short-Wave Mystery.  After that most of the Revised Texts are simply shortened versions of theiir Original Texts.  (#37 Ghost At Skeleton Rock was simply rewritten to remove any references to Cuba, while #38 Mystery At Devil's Paw was rewritten to, essentially, remove any references to the State of Alaska as being the "New State of Alaska".)
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

Thanks for that tidbit- that's good to know. I kinda got the feeling some of the later ones weren't as drastic revisions as the earlier ones (I'm pretty sure I had read somewhere some descriptions of the two different versions with a comparison)- but it's nice to have an exact number. So maybe it's only necessary to get the first 24 original texts. The next 14 may not be all that crucial to have unless you're a true completist. 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Well basically after McFarlane left the Syndicate got strict on how much humour could be put into the stories, and even how much stereotyping was allowed.

hardygirl847

Hmm...this is all very interesting. To be honest I never thought about reading the originals as much because I have always been a die hard Casefile fan. Now that I am older I see the obvious value in reading any and all Hardy Boys stories. Frankly (HAHA), I can't get enough!!!

I suppose I shall keep the starter kit I recently purchased and plan on getting the facsimile ones in September. Just don't tell my husband!!  ;D

MacGyver

Well, the originals are the originals, after all. :) That's classic- you gotta read at least a few. Good thing we got started on The Tower Treasure, then. ;)

hardygirl847

Quote from: MacGyver on March 06, 2010, 10:35:51 AM
Well, the originals are the originals, after all. :) That's classic- you gotta read at least a few. Good thing we got started on The Tower Treasure, then. ;)

This is quite true. I was about 12 when I started my Hardy Boys obsession. I read over 100 books in one summer but sadly strayed before trying any of the originals. They are classics for sure and I have already enjoyed the ones I've read. Some of the lingo or events are obviously dated but it makes me laugh and appreciate them more somehow. :)

SDLagent

Jumping catfish! They sure are swell books, I agree, chum. But I don't think the lingo's outdated in the least.