Next Book Club Discussion Choice

Started by hardygirl847, March 27, 2010, 09:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What series should we read next for our book club discussion?

Originals
0 (0%)
Digest
1 (25%)
Casefiles
3 (75%)
Graphic Novel
0 (0%)
Super Mystery
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: April 03, 2010, 09:56:19 PM

hardygirl847

Please vote for what series our next book club choice should be from. Also, after you vote, please choose a book that you would like to discuss (within the choice you voted on).

Thanks!

April is coming up fast. So Poll ends April 5.

I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

Hmm- something seems to be wrong with the poll. I wasn't able to choose all of them. ;)

j/k- but since we've done the actual original Hardy Boys book- maybe it would be nice to transition to one of the later Digests now- perhaps #59 "Night of the Werewolf"?
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

I voted "Casefiles". Cult of Crime or Street Spies...

tomswift2002

You know I was just thinking of something.  If one of the trilogies was ever picked what would happen then?  Would we try to discuss all 3 books over the one month or would the trilogy be spread out across, for example, April, May and June with April being Book 1, May Book 2, and June the final book?
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

I'd rather do a trilogy over three months. But I'd rather stick with stand alone titles for now...

hardygirl847

Quote from: MacGyver on March 28, 2010, 12:19:35 AM
Hmm- something seems to be wrong with the poll. I wasn't able to choose all of them. ;)

j/k- but since we've done the actual original Hardy Boys book- maybe it would be nice to transition to one of the later Digests now- perhaps #59 "Night of the Werewolf"?

lol I would like to do that too but I already spend too much time on my beloved Hardys. lol

Quote from: SDLagent on March 30, 2010, 02:41:24 AM
I voted "Casefiles". Cult of Crime or Street Spies...

Interesting choices. I like both but Street Spies gets some flack from people ...not really sure why but I've read about it on some forums.

I do LOVE Casefiles so I am kinda rooting for that. Although MacGyver has a point about a Digest being the next logical choice. Hmm...

Quote from: tomswift2002 on March 30, 2010, 01:44:32 PM
You know I was just thinking of something.  If one of the trilogies was ever picked what would happen then?  Would we try to discuss all 3 books over the one month or would the trilogy be spread out across, for example, April, May and June with April being Book 1, May Book 2, and June the final book?

tomswift...I like this idea!!! Personally, I would read all three at a time because I wouldn't be able to stay in suspense for that long. I haven't been able to reread the trilogies so they would be like reading them for the first time. BUT I would have to insist that we would spread them over 3 months because of well...the real world. I don't think we have time to read and discuss 3 books in one sitting. I also think that they should get their own spot light time. I definitely like this idea though!!

OK so....I just had a lightbulb go on and let me get your take on this....

What do you think of assigning months and series to each discussion member? Or ones that want to participate. I am happy to coordinate it if you'd like but this may be the best way to get everyone a chance to showcase a book they want to see discussed.

What do you think? We would start that in May. April will continue as is.

This might also give us a "schedule" of what is coming up in case we would like to get our hands on a copy before the month comes around.

Please post your thoughts :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

QuoteWhat do you think of assigning months and series to each discussion member? Or ones that want to participate. I am happy to coordinate it if you'd like but this may be the best way to get everyone a chance to showcase a book they want to see discussed.

This might also give us a "schedule" of what is coming up in case we would like to get our hands on a copy before the month comes around.
That sounds fine to me.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Quote from: hardygirl847 on March 31, 2010, 03:04:03 AM
tomswift...I like this idea!!! Personally, I would read all three at a time because I wouldn't be able to stay in suspense for that long. I haven't been able to reread the trilogies so they would be like reading them for the first time. BUT I would have to insist that we would spread them over 3 months because of well...the real world. I don't think we have time to read and discuss 3 books in one sitting. I also think that they should get their own spot light time. I definitely like this idea though!!

Probably doing the 3 month span would be the best for those.

What do you think of assigning months and series to each discussion member? Or ones that want to participate. I am happy to coordinate it if you'd like but this may be the best way to get everyone a chance to showcase a book they want to see discussed.

Interesting idea, but again for the trilogies that would mean that it would be one person's books for 3 months at a time, unless 3 people stepped up and said that they would take turns leading the discussion.

Anyway I voted Casefile, so maybe Virtual Villainy (with 3-D TV's in the news right now...) or maybe Flesh and Blood (May 1990-May 2010, 20th Anniversary)?
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

SDLagent

Quote from: hardygirl847 on March 31, 2010, 03:04:03 AM

Please post your thoughts :)

Yes, I like this idea. That way you can look ahead at the schedule and (if you don't have it) will have lots of time to track a copy down.

hardygirl847

Quote from: tomswift2002 on March 31, 2010, 06:42:56 PM
Probably doing the 3 month span would be the best for those.

Interesting idea, but again for the trilogies that would mean that it would be one person's books for 3 months at a time, unless 3 people stepped up and said that they would take turns leading the discussion.

Anyway I voted Casefile, so maybe Virtual Villainy (with 3-D TV's in the news right now...) or maybe Flesh and Blood (May 1990-May 2010, 20th Anniversary)?

Good suggestions! Trilogies would be hard to do as a "person by person" type of plan. I like the idea of each person leading the discussion of their choice of book. Hmm...looks like we might have a plan for May.

We could also incorporate the trilogy idea after we have gone through our month by month scheduled of people.

For example...let's say there is 5 of us that want to do this. That leaves some months open. So we do a trilogy after that. When that is complete we choose our own months again or something like that...depending on how it goes at that time.

April-Casefiles (based on votes thus far)
May-
June-
July-
August-
September-
October-
November-
December-

Obviously we can go into the new year as well but let's work with what we have so far. :) I guess it all depends on how many people want to participate.

How should we decide who gets what month and what series he or she should pick from?

Ideas?

hardygirl847

Aside from our scheduling issue, we do need to pick a new book for April. So far it looks like it will be a Casefile. Let's give it til Monday, April 5 and then I will post the choice.

So far we have Virtual Villainy, Flesh and Blood, Cult of Crime or Street Spies...as suggestions.

Let's keep the votes to this now since we are running out of time.

I vote Virtual Villainy (the 3D correlation is interesting plus I haven't had a chance to reread it yet.) :)

tomswift2002

Quote from: hardygirl847 on April 02, 2010, 10:35:46 PM

I vote Virtual Villainy (the 3D correlation is interesting plus I haven't had a chance to reread it yet.) :)

From what I remember that 3-D technology in the book wasn't exactly based on 3-D TV, but technology similar to medical devices that I've heard of where people put on glasses and interact with a 3-D computer generated universe (similar to Star Trek's holodeck).

hardygirl847

Well it was suggested for a similar reason. Maybe I need a new poll....

hardygirl847

The next book club choice is THICK AS THIEVES CASEFILE #29!

On April 24th we will begin the discussion. All who voted (or did not vote) may participate in the new thread that will start on this day. Happy reading!!

Btw, it was a three way tie and someone had to make a decision. Remember if you would like to participate in the next book club discussions, we are going to be assigning months and series to each person who would like to participate. Therefore you will have your own say as to what book we read for your particular month and you can lead the discussion. A new thread will be posted shortly about this. It will be starting with May.