Kidnapped

Started by SDLagent, March 06, 2010, 01:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

I was wondering, is Iola ever kidnapped in any of the books? I know Callie got kidnapped a few times in the Casefiles, but in originals both Callie and Iola never really got involved in the Hardys' cases. I've never read many Digests, though...

Bigfootman

I think she was kidnapped in Crime In the Kennel.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

MacGyver

Yeah, I think she was kidnapped in "Crime in the Kennel". Also, I'm pretty sure Iola was kidnapped in "Panic at Gull Island". There's probably others- I'd have to flip through some of my books and check. I've read through all the Digests but it's been a while on some.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

For the longest time she was always dead to me....Meaning she wasn't in the books I was reading (Casefiles). I agree that the girls weren't as involved in earlier books. Personally, that was fine by me. :)

I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

Quote from: Dinosaur Dan on March 06, 2010, 06:40:21 AM
I think she was kidnapped in Crime In the Kennel.
Quote from: MacGyver on March 06, 2010, 10:33:49 AM
Yeah, I think she was kidnapped in "Crime in the Kennel". Also, I'm pretty sure Iola was kidnapped in "Panic at Gull Island". There's probably others- I'd have to flip through some of my books and check. I've read through all the Digests but it's been a while on some.

By "she" do you mean Iola? Or Callie?

Bigfootman

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

MacGyver

I was talking about Iola for both books. They may be others I've forgotten about, but I can definitely say Iola is kidnapped in both #107 "Panic on Gull Island" and #133 "Crime in the Kennel". (I just flipped through both books to doublecheck.) In fact, the main plot of "Panic on Gull Island" involves Frank and Joe rushing to find the kidnapped Iola. In "Crime in the Kennel", Iola gets briefly captured toward the end of the book, but to be fair, Joe gets captured just a little later as well and Frank has to come to the rescue of both. I think there's probably a number of times like that where Iola may have been briefly captured by the bad guys, as opposed to flat out kidnapped for the purposes of ransom or luring the Hardys into a trap or getting to the Hardys, etc.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

Quote from: MacGyver on March 07, 2010, 09:58:24 PM
I think there's probably a number of times like that were Iola may have been briefly captured by the bad guys, as opposed to flat out kidnapped for the purposes of ransom or luring the Hardys into a trap or getting to the Hardys, etc.

It always seemed to be that Callie was used more for that...
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

Quote from: Dinosaur Dan on March 07, 2010, 08:24:25 PM
I mean Ioa.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about Frank long-lost wife, Ioa.

Quote from: hardygirl847 on March 07, 2010, 10:01:35 PM

It always seemed to be that Callie was used more for that...

Probably because Iola was dead for 127 books. The bad guys didn't really have a choice...

MacGyver

Well, since the Digests are the same continuity started from the Originals, Iola is still alive and well in that series. ;)

hardygirl847

Quote from: SDLagent on March 07, 2010, 11:09:41 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot about Frank long-lost wife, Ioa.

Probably because Iola was dead for 127 books. The bad guys didn't really have a choice...

LOL Ioa...

And yeah for Casefiles they didn't have a choice but in other books as well. Joe still got the short end of the stick. While Frank's gf was always getting kidnapped or held hostage...his was no longer living. :(

MacGyver

I think the closest they really came to Frank dealing with a lot of grief  was in a couple of books- his anguish and concern over Joe in "Brother Against Brother", his anger and impulsive recklessness-on-Joe's-level in the Operation: Phoenix trilogy ("Endangered Species", "No Mercy" and "The Phoenix Equation") and his rage and fury at seeing the apparent deaths of Callie not to mention his own mother (although he only heard about this from Joe.)

hardygirl847

Quote from: MacGyver on March 09, 2010, 06:30:02 PM
I think the closest they really came to Frank dealing with a lot of grief  was in a couple of books- his anguish and concern over Joe in "Brother Against Brother", his anger and impulsive recklessness-on-Joe's-level in the Operation: Phoenix trilogy ("Endangered Species", "No Mercy" and "The Phoenix Equation") and his rage and fury at seeing the apparent deaths of Callie not to mention his own mother (although he only heard about this from Joe.)

All of which makes him a more well rounded character. It's good to see him show a range of emotions because that makes him more realistic.

Good examples! I need to read the trilogy again...it's been too long!

MacGyver

Quoteand his rage and fury at seeing the apparent deaths of Callie not to mention his own mother (although he only heard about this from Joe.)
And this of course was from "Dead of Night"- somehow I missed that earlier.

hardygirl847

It's all good! I knew what you were talking about at least. :)