Penguin Random House bought Simon & Schuster

Started by Raven, November 26, 2020, 04:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven

PRH owner Bertelsmann to buy Simon & Schuster in $2bn deal
So, does this mean Penguin will have the rights to all of the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series?

tomswift2002

Technically Simon & Schuster has all the rights, and they've used them in the past.  Really, the only thing Simon & Schuster does not have are the North American rights to the 59 books originally published by Grosset & Dunlap.  Otherwise, even to change the cover art, as G&D did a few years ago, Simon & Schuster had to approve it. 

But since the Stratemeyer Syndicate days, the international rights outside the US & Canada were always held by the Stratemeyer Syndicate/Simon & Schuster.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Interesting. Good to know but I don't know what change that might mean for The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, if any.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Really it means that one parent company now owns both.  However, it shouldn't affect any contracts that S&S has with other companies.  So the 1970's "Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries" shouldn't be disappearing from DVD or streaming because Universal lost the license to the characters because of this.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca