HBs Mentioned in Glee Commercial

Started by hardygirl847, November 13, 2010, 03:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardygirl847

I definitely agree that society has turned a deaf ear to swearing. I can't flip channels around children in fear they will here all sorts of bad words. Don't even get me started on movies.

I am guilty of using a phrase or word once in awhile but I do try to keep it to a minimum. That, however, doesn't mean I think the Hardy Boys should incorporate it at all.

Phrases like "********" or "dang" or whatever...aren't really that bad. I agree it should be kept to the bad guys too. Sadly, in order to be more  "current", it seems the current Franklin W. Dixon's are using what is normal in society as part of the UB world.  I haven't found this to be offensive yet but  television is only getting worse. I fear for what could happen to books...

Hardys are wholesome characters. They have good morals, values, and fight for justice. Okay, they do break in or break a law or two but nothing crazy.

I haven't read a whole lot of UBs. Sometimes I don't care for the first person either, but other times I find it funny to see/read how Joe would think or vice versa. I actually think that some of the new SuperMysteries with ND are more ....um....annoying. I read Terror on Tour and probably rolled my eyes several times. I didn't like how they were being portrayed.

Mac, I fear for the series too. However, the GNs and new casefile GNs have a promising future. I just wish they were in book stores for kids to read and enjoy. We could start a whole new fanbase.

Seems like right now...if you started liking the HBs, it's because someone else got you into them. I really feel that they should be more accessible for new readers.

Anyways, that's it for now. :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

Happened to run across the Glee commercial on Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLKhfEiQ9yw
Pretty stupid mention of The Hardy Boys... but at least they're remembered I guess.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

Yay you found it :)

I wasn't thrilled either but hey...like you said...it's something.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

JoeHardyRocks

At least they're not forgotten... I was helping teach a class and Sherlock Holmes was brought up, then one of the kids said "Who's Sherlock Holmes?" We were totally shocked! Kids today... they don't even read.... The classics are all being forgotten! :(
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

MacGyver

Kids should at least know who Sherlock Holmes is from the Robert Downey, Jr. movie- though even that is a pretty horrible reason to know Sherlock Holmes. (Sorry- but did not care for that movie at all- they definitely did a messed up portrayal- stick with Basil Rathbone.)
And definitely- read the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle classics! We wouldn't have The Hardy Boys or any other mystery series if not for him creating the all time master detective (yes, even Batman falls right behind him ;))- Sherlock Holmes! 8)
(I grew up reading the short stories and longer ones and these are some of my favorites of the classics- though I enjoy a number of other authors too.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

They didn't know who Sherlock Holmes is??? That's like the kindergartner that didn't know who the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are!!  :o

I haven't read all of the classics, to be honest. I haven't even read the whole Harry Potter series. lol I will agree that we are entering an age where less and less people actual read a book. Magazines, Kindle, maybe....but actual hardcover or paperback books...sadly, not as much.

They are free to rent from the library too. So you can't say you don't read because you don't have money. If you live without a library available, that's different.

It's a shame.

MacGyver

QuoteThey didn't know who Sherlock Holmes is??? That's like the kindergartner that didn't know who the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are!! 
Surprising as that is- and as much as I love the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- I think I'd be more concerned about kids being familiar with great literature like Sherlock Holmes over the TMNT comics and cartoons- lol. Of course, I like to help keep folks educated about both. ;D
Quotehaven't read all of the classics, to be honest. I haven't even read the whole Harry Potter series.
Just to clarify-that's not what I was referring to as "the classics"- lol ;) (But I noticed your "even" for distinction there.)
Of course, I wonder what "the classics" even means to kids today, at least in the realm of literature.
I think "the classics" and I think- Mark Twain, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Johann Wyss, Daniel Defoe, Charles Kingsley, Anna Sewell, L. Frank Baum, Lewis Carroll, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Robert Louis Stevenson, Jack London, Edgar Allan Poe, Louisa May Alcott, Rudyard Kipling, and plenty others I've forgotten to name, I'm sure- and poets beside. And The Bible is always the number one classic!
I have nothing against Kindles but I still like actual hardback and paperback books better.
And I'm not gonna act like a literary snob and say that I only read the classics- I'm pretty sure I've read a lot of literature that would not be quite so classic- lol - I like a lot of children's literature- but older books usually although I do try to stay up on newer books as well (and this is what I'm referring to as "not quite as classic"- but it's classic to me.) and The Hardy Boys chief among that genre of course. :D

hardygirl847

Mac,

Do you write at all? You always have well put thoughts. I seem to ramble and fragment my thoughts. Perhaps that's because that is how I hear them in my head.

Oh now I sound crazy. lol

Anyways, I probably should clarify that I don't think HP is actually a classic yet. Not in the category of Mark Twain or something. I kind of figured you were talking about the oldies. :)

TMNT is one of my faves but is somewhat around...or was. Nickelodeon took it and is supposed to have something out in the next year or so. I hope they don't ruin it. I should also add that the kid I was talking to about them had a shirt WITH THEM ON IT and didn't know who they were. Or maybe he spoke mostly Spanish and wasn't sure what I was talking about. That's actually possible. LOL

Yes a cartoon is not as important as a classic character like Sherlock Holmes (or of course our HBs) BUT it's more current, and they STILL don't know what it is.

Perhaps THAT is what I was going to get across.

Oh I don't know anymore....sometimes my brains are scrambled. lol

MacGyver

QuoteOh now I sound crazy. lol
No way- you sound fine. It's true that writing and speech and especially thoughts don't all flow the same, but sometimes it's nice to have things written out to sound like a conversation. That's actually good writing if you can make it sound conversative- it flows like a story being told orally.

QuoteYes a cartoon is not as important as a classic character like Sherlock Holmes (or of course our HBs) BUT it's more current, and they STILL don't know what it is.

Perhaps THAT is what I was going to get across.
Yeah, I see that clearly now. And that is true.

QuoteTMNT is one of my faves but is somewhat around...or was. Nickelodeon took it and is supposed to have something out in the next year or so. I hope they don't ruin it. I should also add that the kid I was talking to about them had a shirt WITH THEM ON IT and didn't know who they were. Or maybe he spoke mostly Spanish and wasn't sure what I was talking about. That's actually possible. LOL
That is pretty bad to be wearing a T-shirt and not know who the Turtles are- lol. But seriously- it could be that he's Hispanic and hasn't grown up with the show in his native country or just didn't understand what you meant by "turtles". If you had said "tortugas" perhaps. ;)
(Freetranslation.com renders "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" in Spanish as - "El Mutante adolescente Ninja Tortugas" :D)
        Nickelodeon is supposed to be doing a new TV series sometime this year I think. And supposedly there's a new movie coming, but I don't think the CGI TMNT panned out the way the creators wanted. Although I did enjoy the movie- saw it in theaters. I still love the first three though- especially with Jim Henson's Creature Shop doing the Turtle costumes for the first two movies- those are great! 8)
I just wish Lionsgate would finally release Seasons 9 and 10 of the original classic 1980s cartoon so I can have the whole series on DVD!
QuoteMac,
Do you write at all? You always have well put thoughts. I seem to ramble and fragment my thoughts. Perhaps that's because that is how I hear them in my head.
Aw- well, thanks. I do like to write and have contributed to some publications here and there. If anything I say sounds slightly coherent, it's all from God's blessings. And you do just fine yourself. :D

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: hardygirl847 on January 06, 2011, 05:13:27 PM
They didn't know who Sherlock Holmes is??? That's like the kindergartner that didn't know who the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are!!  :o

Yeah... :( It made me really sad, and I felt old fashioned for a moment!!! But then I told them it was a crime not to know so they should go look him up, NOT on the computer, but in the Library ;)
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

MacGyver

Hmm- that reminds me of a quote from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade from Dr. Henry Jones, Sr. (speaking to Nazis) - "It tells me that goose-stepping morons like yourselves should try reading books instead of burning them." (onto CDs.) ;D

hardygirl847

Quote from: MacGyver on January 07, 2011, 09:54:29 AM
No way- you sound fine. It's true that writing and speech and especially thoughts don't all flow the same, but sometimes it's nice to have things written out to sound like a conversation. That's actually good writing if you can make it sound conversative- it flows like a story being told orally.
Yeah, I see that clearly now. And that is true.
That is pretty bad to be wearing a T-shirt and not know who the Turtles are- lol. But seriously- it could be that he's Hispanic and hasn't grown up with the show in his native country or just didn't understand what you meant by "turtles". If you had said "tortugas" perhaps. ;)
(Freetranslation.com renders "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" in Spanish as - "El Mutante adolescente Ninja Tortugas" :D)
        Nickelodeon is supposed to be doing a new TV series sometime this year I think. And supposedly there's a new movie coming, but I don't think the CGI TMNT panned out the way the creators wanted. Although I did enjoy the movie- saw it in theaters. I still love the first three though- especially with Jim Henson's Creature Shop doing the Turtle costumes for the first two movies- those are great! 8)
I just wish Lionsgate would finally release Seasons 9 and 10 of the original classic 1980s cartoon so I can have the whole series on DVD!Aw- well, thanks. I do like to write and have contributed to some publications here and there. If anything I say sounds slightly coherent, it's all from God's blessings. And you do just fine yourself. :D

Haha thanks Mac. I try. :) I actually write poems and hardy boys fanfic. Those I tend to write completely different than when I'm on forums. :) Again, thanks though.

LOL about the Spanish translation. :) There's even a possibility that he got the shirt from a secondhand store and didn't know who they were because he didn't see them on tv, etc. They aren't around as much as they used to be.

I keep forgetting it's 2011. lol I thought Nickelodeon was planning on something 2012 but it could be this year. That would be awesome! I LOVED TMNT and I own it. HEHE I actually have some of the older shows too. Probably more from the 2003 era of Turtles but omgosh I love them. I don't have the 80s series on DVD but I hope they release those too. So silly to NOT release them but whatever. I don't understand those big corporations sometimes.

Quote from: MacGyver on January 07, 2011, 12:51:13 PM
Hmm- that reminds me of a quote from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade from Dr. Henry Jones, Sr. (speaking to Nazis) - "It tells me that goose-stepping morons like yourselves should try reading books instead of burning them." (onto CDs.) ;D

LOL awesome!

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on January 07, 2011, 11:40:21 AM
Yeah... :( It made me really sad, and I felt old fashioned for a moment!!! But then I told them it was a crime not to know so they should go look him up, NOT on the computer, but in the Library ;)

Agreed. I hope there's never a day where we don't need libraries. That would be tragic.