Iola's first post-DoT appearance

Started by SDLagent, June 24, 2009, 01:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Hmm- okay, I'm not familiar with that old joke then. How do you make a cat woof then?
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

Quote from: MacGyver on January 19, 2011, 10:37:39 AM
I've noticed that in the Original Texts, (of the ones I've read anyway), Iola and Callie both seem to make mainly bit appearances here and there. They both have a quick cameo in The Mystery of Cabin Island and that's it.
They make a bit more regular appearances in the Original 58 Revised Texts and a fairly good amount in the Digests. But certainly there are books where they are more central than others. And many where they don't show up at all.

Anyway, while looking through some of The Hardy Boys Casefiles series yesterday, I saw that while Iola isn't specifically mentioned as far as I can tell, the events of Dead on Target are referenced at the start of Too Many Traitors- so I don't know if that really counts or not. (By the way, that one is one of my favorites- I have read and reread that one a few times.) :)

Thanks Mac for the info on the OTs because I haven't read many, if any, of those. I tend to have the RT versions. For me, the bit parts were strange. More for Callie than Iola though. I started out reading the Casefiles and Callie was in a lot of them. Iola blew up so she wasn't as much (except for the already mentioned incidents etc). So in the bluespines, I was shocked that they were "favorite date" or whatever. Definitely a different dynamic. However, I think it goes better with the flow of the different series. In the Originals, the boys do a lot more sleuthing, find a lot more clues, but don't get into AS much trouble as in the Casefiles. Girlfriends weren't part of the storyline really nor did they really have time for them. In the Casefiles, Joe's gf is BLOWN to bits and changes the dynamic. Plus, the series very fast paced, more violent, more gun usage from even the brothers, and loads more. Callie's presence reminded us and Joe about Iola's demise. Thus, adding to the characters, storyline, plots, and other issues that Joe faces.

I don't remember that implication in Too Many Traitors, but I LOVE that book!!!!!!!!!! I have read it multiple times too. It's been awhile since I've read it but I LOVE it! Now I will have to reread it again to see if I get that same implication. Oh darn...a reason to have to read one of my faves...  :P

Quote from: MacGyver on January 19, 2011, 10:52:28 PM
Hmm- okay, I'm not familiar with that old joke then. How do you make a cat woof then?

I'm not either. Please explain Spencer. :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: hardygirl847 on January 20, 2011, 12:37:14 AM
I'm not either. Please explain Spencer. :)

Perhaps he was trying to say that Iola was a catty person.  :D
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

SDLagent

How do you make a cat go "woof"?

You pour a litre of gasoline on it. Then you light a match and throw it at the cat. And the cat goes "woof"!

MacGyver

Wow- sounds like some macabre humor there. :o
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)