#18 The Vanishing Room

Started by tomswift2002, June 10, 2018, 03:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Chapters.ca has listings for a Hardcover and Paperback Edition of the Hardy Boys Adventures #18 The Vanishing Room, which is slated for release on February 19, 2019. 

Here's the write-up for the plot:

QuoteIt's a case of hidden identities for brother detectives Frank and Joe in the in the eighteenth book in the thrilling Hardy Boys Adventures series.

Ever since the Bayport Times article about their past cases came out, Frank and Joe have been getting calls for help in solving everything from lost keys to lost treasure. The boys can barely stand to answer their phones anymore. But when Principal Gerther calls, they pick up.

Turns out, Principal Gerther's cousin, Agatha, has noticed a string of strange disappearances in her apartment building. One person after another is entering the apartment next door...and they never come back out. Agatha would know, she never leaves her apartment!

Frank and Joe make some inquiries and realize each and every person that has stayed in apartment B3 has never returned home. What's worse—most of them have left a trail of debt or angry partners behind them. There are almost too many suspects to count!

Are these two teenage detectives up for the job? Or is The Hardy Boys reputation about to be tarnished?

And here's the cover art: https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/the-vanishing-room/9781534414891-item.html?ikwid=Frnaklin+W.+Dixon&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=3
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

tomswift2002

VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

kosmicdust

And the title has changed to "The Disappearance" ....  ???

tomswift2002

And the whole story has apparently changed:

It's a case of hidden identities for brother detectives Frank and Joe in the in the eighteenth book in the thrilling Hardy Boys Adventures series.

The Hardy brothers and Frank's new girlfriend, Jones, are attending a local comic book convention on the shore. They meet up with Jones's friend Harper, a fellow comics super fan, on the boardwalk outside the convention. The four of them spend hours running from booth to booth and end the perfect day with pizza at Harper's short-term rental apartment.

Things don't stay so perfect, though. On the way home, Jones realizes she switched phones with Harper by accident and she is getting some really scary texts. When they show up at the apartment the next day, they find it totally destroyed and Harper is missing.

Frank and Joe start digging into their new friend's life, hoping to find out where she might have gone, but the more they find out about her, the more mysterious she becomes. Can Frank and Joe find this secretive character? Or has she disappeared forever?

So Frank apparently has a new girlfriend in this one by the name of Jones!  What happened to Callie (of course, she's been missing for the past 13 year (last book that I recall seeing her in was Ocean of Osyria, and the Hardy Boys Wiki has her only Undercover Brothers appearance being in #5 Rocky Road), she hasn't been seen at all in the Adventures series.

MacGyver

Maybe the powers-that-be thought The Vanishing Room sounded too close to The Disappearing Floor?
(Though I don't see that they would probably really care.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Well, when you look at the cover art, it's the same cover art as The Vanishing Room, so who knows.  Unless they are just going to keep the cover and not bother working it into the story.

kosmicdust

Very curious! Maybe the original story wasn't working well in the editing stage and they had to ditch it?

I kept the original cover, if anyone wants it:

https://s22.postimg.cc/xzeeb1u9b/Vanishing-_Room.jpg

tomswift2002

I wish "Attack Of The Bayport Beast" had been rewritten

MacGyver

You should post the original cover art to The Hardy Boys Wiki for preservation and historical record. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on September 05, 2018, 08:08:04 PM
You should post the original cover art to The Hardy Boys Wiki for preservation and historical record. :) 8)

The original is there.  It's just the revised that needs to be posted.  If you want to go ahead.

MacGyver

Oh, okay. If I have time, I may do that.

tomswift2002

The paperback version of The Disappearance is now shipping.  Chapters.ca sent me an email yesterday telling me that the book had shipped.  No word yet on the Hardcover, however, considering the late release of the hardcover of the previous HBA, this one might be delayed as well.

tomswift2002

Just got the Hard cover version today.

Raven

I can't remember if the boys' ages have been mentioned in previous books, but in this one, Joe is around sixteen-years old.

tomswift2002

I'm reading it now.  I could do without the profanity in this book, and I'm finding the book is just creepy.  I know the Hardy's have encountered jelous boyfriends in the past, but the author has just made this book very creepy.