Ghost at Skeleton Rock

Started by ScottishFan, October 12, 2023, 04:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottishFan

Hello all, new Member (so, apologies if this has been asked before).
I recently purchased a 1957 version of this title (already had a 1966 revised copy).  Not had a chance to read it yet.
However... the earlier version (although having the proper dust jacket - the correct one for that printing, as far as I can see from internet search) only has 20 Chapters, and a page count that is less than my 1966 copy.

I was under the impression that (up to Title #38) all 'ORIGINAL' versions had 25 Chapters.

Can anyone shed some light on this, please?

Thanks in advance.

MacGyver

Hi! Welcome to the forums, first of all.  :)
   From what I understand, I can tell you this. Many of the original text books do have 25 chapters. But The Ghost at Skeleton Rock was one of the last ones to get revised. It's more the earlier original text books that have 25 chapters, as far as I can tell. The later ones sometimes do still have 20 chapters and only have a difference of a few pages. If I recall correctly, the original version of that particular Hardy Boys book has 184 pages, while the revised one has 177. I hope that helps some.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

This site has tons more information on this.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

ScottishFan

@MACGYVER
Bang on the button, sir.

The page counts (from the linked info page) tally with my editions. (I was unaware of that site previously...)
Seems my information about the 25 or 20 Chapters must have been incorrect.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

MacGyver

Quote from: ScottishFan on October 12, 2023, 11:10:42 AM@MACGYVER
Bang on the button, sir.

The page counts (from the linked info page) tally with my editions. (I was unaware of that site previously...)
Seems my information about the 25 or 20 Chapters must have been incorrect.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes, sir. Glad to be of help.  :)  8)

tomswift2002

The main difference between the 1957 Ghost and the 1966 Ghost is that all references to Cuba were removed, because of what occurred in 1962 and Fidel Castro's overthrow of the previous government.  So the 66 story changed Cuba to a fictional Central American country.

As to the chapters length, they went to 20 in 1957 for all series because they were finding that TV was really taking off with faster-paced stories than the 25-chapter books had, and they were afraid that kids would go more for TV than reading.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

ScottishFan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on October 12, 2023, 03:00:50 PMThe main difference between the 1957 Ghost and the 1966 Ghost is that all references to Cuba were removed, because of what occurred in 1962 and Fidel Castro's overthrow of the previous government.  So the 66 story changed Cuba to a fictional Central American country.

As to the chapters length, they went to 20 in 1957 for all series because they were finding that TV was really taking off with faster-paced stories than the 25-chapter books had, and they were afraid that kids would go more for TV than reading.

Thanks for the info, tomswift.
The reason I was confused (at least where I got my initial understanding) was from the Wiki pages, which quote:-
"Between 1959 and 1973 the first 38 volumes of this series were systematically revised as part of a project directed by Harriet Adams, Edward Stratemeyer's daughter."
Hence, why I thought this (being title #37) was maybe chopped from 25 Chapters to 20.

:-[