#72 The Voodoo Plot (38th Anniversary Review)

Started by tomswift2002, July 26, 2020, 10:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Published: 1982
Publisher: Wanderer Books (1982 - 1987), Minstrel Books (1987 - 199?)
Author: Karl Herr III
Other Hardy Boys Books by Author: #70 The Infinity Clue, #78 Cave-In (aka Cave-In!), #80 The Roaring River Mystery

Plot: The Hardy Boys head to New Orleans on the trail of a gang of art gallery thieves, and the grandfather of a high school friend, who lives in New Orleans, has been the target of a Voodoo Cult.

Review:  Ok---this book --- I found wasn't written the best and I really felt that it could've used another editing pass.  I can't really say what, but the story just felt off for a Hardy's, and it just wasn't memorable.  Plus I hated that the Hardy's were tracking the guy who had hired them in the first place.

Rating: 3 out of 10
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

I can't say I recall much about this book. I know the title alone would make it a book I'd be wary of but I do seem to recall that there really wasn't too much voodoo actually going on in the book. Since this also takes place in New Orleans (naturally), I am curious about how it compares to the similarly set episode from The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries, the two part "Voodoo Doll" episode.
   I wonder how closely either one really offered a realistic look at voodoo. There is a difference between New Orleans voodoo and Haitian voodoo that Hollywood and popular culture in general does not always seem to get.
   Of course, even if something like that is the backdrop, it shouldn't overshadow the story. If the mystery itself isn't memorable beyond that, then even an exciting setting may not make for a great story.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"