#15 The Garden Plot

Started by tomswift2002, July 14, 2021, 04:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

https://www.simonandschuster.ca/books/The-Garden-Plot/Franklin-W-Dixon/Hardy-Boys-Clue-Book/9781534476837

Published: April 19, 2022
Plot:  Detective brothers Frank and Joe weed out a vandal in the fifteenth book in the interactive Hardy Boys Clue Book series.

Frank and Joe Hardy have been hard at work turning their front yard into an eco-friendly edible landscape garden thanks to a contest sponsored by the Bayport Science Center. Frank's really been enjoying learning about how to make the garden thrive, while Joe likes all of the cool critters and, of course, getting to munch on all of the yummy food.

When the prize vegetables being grown in some of the top competitors' gardens are attacked, at first it looks like hungry pests have been having a feast. But as Frank and Joe unearth more evidence, it appears those cucumbers aren't being crunched by creatures with a craving. No, the veggies are the target of a clever saboteur. The Hardys will have to figure out who's been destroying the gardens fast, before their friends' chances of winning the contest are shredded like lettuce.

Review:  So Simon & Schuster Canada has released the next Clue Book.  I find the cover art interesting as this is the first time that I can recall the books having a Muslim woman on the cover.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Interesting point about the cover art. To be fair, there could have been Muslim women depicted on other covers but this is likely the first overtly woman of Islamic faith. (This is just to say that not all Muslim women necessarily wear a hijab or burqa.)Though it's possible the woman could be Sikh or Jewish as well. I imagine the book will make that clear, assuming this is a main character depicted here.
(https://www.headcovers.com/resources/hats-scarves/religious-head-coverings/)
   It is not often that religious faith explicitly comes up in Hardy Boys books, as far as I recall, beyond brief mentions of The Hardy Boys going to (likely a Protestant) church at times in the original 58 G&D books.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Oh yeah- and the name itself, The Garden Plot, is a great groaner of a pun. :) 8) ;D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on July 14, 2021, 11:19:42 PMInteresting point about the cover art. To be fair, there could have been Muslim women depicted on other covers but this is likely the first overtly woman of Islamic faith. (This is just to say that not all Muslim women necessarily wear a hijab or burqa.)Though it's possible the woman could be Sikh or Jewish as well. I imagine the book will make that clear, assuming this is a main character depicted here.
(https://www.headcovers.com/resources/hats-scarves/religious-head-coverings/)
   It is not often that religious faith explicitly comes up in Hardy Boys books, as far as I recall, beyond brief mentions of The Hardy Boys going to (likely a Protestant) church at times in the original 58 G&D books.

They never made any characters have any faiths or beliefs before, so what changed?

tomswift2002

Quote from: Katie on March 24, 2022, 11:03:53 PMThey never made any characters have any faiths or beliefs before, so what changed?

In the Grosset & Dunlap books there are numerous references to the Hardy family attending church on Sunday, meaning the Hardy's were a Christian family. 
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

Quote from: tomswift2002 on March 25, 2022, 06:49:11 AMIn the Grosset & Dunlap books there are numerous references to the Hardy family attending church on Sunday, meaning the Hardy's were a Christian family. 
Yep. I was just going to say that- he beat me to it.
And Phil Cohen is also said to be Jewish as well.
I am pretty sure both The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew are stated as going to church on Sundays in the G&D books a number of times.

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on March 25, 2022, 05:06:32 PMYep. I was just going to say that- he beat me to it.
And Phil Cohen is also said to be Jewish as well.
I am pretty sure both The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew are stated as going to church on Sundays in the G&D books a number of times.

Also, quite infamously in "Tom Swift And The Visitor From Planet X", Tom Sr. reminds Tom Jr. that only GOD can create the human mind and humans attempts to recreate it are clumsy and are nowhere near GOD's creation.

And then back in "Tom Swift and His House on Wheels", Tom Swift (Sr) and Mary Nestor are married in Shopton United Church.

MacGyver

Quote from: tomswift2002 on March 26, 2022, 08:23:33 PMAlso, quite infamously in "Tom Swift And The Visitor From Planet X", Tom Sr. reminds Tom Jr. that only GOD can create the human mind and humans attempts to recreate it are clumsy and are nowhere near GOD's creation.

And then back in "Tom Swift and His House on Wheels", Tom Swift (Sr) and Mary Nestor are married in Shopton United Church.
AMEN to that Tom Swift passage! :)  8)

It reminds me of Joyce Kilmer- "Poems are made by fools like me but only God can make a tree."