January 2011 Book Club Discussion - The Borderline Case (#25 Casefile)

Started by Olivia, January 14, 2011, 05:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: Olivia on February 09, 2011, 09:17:33 PM
I guess I missed that topic (unless it wasn't in the topic, but in a thread somewhere).

If I may add to the discussion of ND being Christian, I remember some of the Originals mention church the same the HBs do. But yeah, I don't really know how far to take it besides the "good values" MacGyver mentioned.

If you mean Christian people reading ND as much as HBs...I don't know.

Who do you think is more popular?

Olivia

ND outsells HBs (and I think it might have always been that way?). Probably because of the stereotype that girls read more and tend to get books as gifts.

But maybe HBs is discussed more. Who knows.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: Olivia on February 09, 2011, 09:37:33 PM
ND outsells HBs (and I think it might have always been that way?). Probably because of the stereotype that girls read more and tend to get books as gifts.

But maybe HBs is discussed more. Who knows.

That's what I thought. As soon I started reading the Hardy Boys, it didn't take me very long to ditch Nancy Drew, due to the lack of action.

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on February 09, 2011, 09:41:42 PM
That's what I thought. As soon I started reading the Hardy Boys, it didn't take me very long to ditch Nancy Drew, due to the lack of action.

Same here.  8)
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

Hardy Boys UB Fan

MacGyver

Nancy Drew books have action too- just perhaps not the same level as The Hardy Boys. It seems kind of funny for me as a boy to hear all these girls who are turning away from a book series that is supposed to be aimed at their gender in general to begin with. But that's why I don't always like those kinds of gender-based marketing things because every single person, male or female, is different and has different preferences. So read the books that you like and want to read.
         By the way, I can confirm that I recall reading of Nancy Drew going to church in at least one of the ND books- I even recall that it mentioned the pastor preaching a good sermon about lying and telling the truth.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 10, 2011, 12:51:12 AM
Nancy Drew books have action too- just perhaps not the same level as The Hardy Boys. It seems kind of funny for me as a boy to hear all these girls who are turning away from a book series that is supposed to be aimed at their gender in general to begin with. But that's why I don't always like those kinds of gender-based marketing things because every single person, male or female, is different and has different preferences. So read the books that you like and want to read.
         By the way, I can confirm that I recall reading of Nancy Drew going to church in at least one of the ND books- I even recall that it mentioned the pastor preaching a good sermon about lying and telling the truth.

Too bad the criminals missed that one! ;D

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: MacGyver on February 10, 2011, 12:51:12 AM

I guess since the books are marketed toward girls, they think that girls like to read about a smart, talented sleuth that solves mysteries by just thinking about them..... I used to read Nancy Drew, then I read a crossover and I started reading Hardy Boys. I'd rather read about 2 handsome young guys that beat up criminals than about a girl who solves mysteries with her other 2 girl friends and sometimes her boyrfriend Nerd and she can't fight ;D
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

MacGyver

Quoteand sometimes her boyrfriend Nerd and she can't fight
Um, you meant Ned, right? ;) ;D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on February 10, 2011, 01:42:01 PM
I guess since the books are marketed toward girls, they think that girls like to read about a smart, talented sleuth that solves mysteries by just thinking about them..... I used to read Nancy Drew, then I read a crossover and I started reading Hardy Boys. I'd rather read about 2 handsome young guys that beat up criminals than about a girl who solves mysteries with her other 2 girl friends and sometimes her boyrfriend Nerd and she can't fight ;D

No, she can't!  ;) Don't even get me started on Nancy Drew Girl Detective. Those are terrible! ::)

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 10, 2011, 02:06:35 PM
Um, you meant Ned, right? ;) ;D

I like Nerd.  :)

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on February 10, 2011, 02:26:13 PM
No, she can't!  ;) Don't even get me started on Nancy Drew Girl Detective. Those are terrible! ::)

You got that right.  ::)

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on February 09, 2011, 09:50:28 PM
How did you get interested in Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys?

I got ND books every once in a while at the library. After a while, the librarian asked me if I had tried Hardy Boys books, so I tried them. I liked them way better than ND, so I kept reading them. After a while, I found that I like Casefiles the best, so I focus on collecting and reading them.  8)
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: AlwaysAJoefan on February 10, 2011, 03:19:58 PM
I like Nerd.  :)

You got that right.  ::)

I got ND books every once in a while at the library. After a while, the librarian asked me if I had tried Hardy Boys books, so I tried them. I liked them way better than ND, so I kept reading them. After a while, I found that I like Casefiles the best, so I focus on collecting and reading them.  8)

I'm a UB Fan.

*Looks around* "Don't shoot me!" *Runs off.*

MacGyver

Try reading the original Nancy Drew hardbacks. I think she holds her own pretty well in those. The Hidden Staircase and The Invisible Intruder are two of my favorites.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 10, 2011, 04:46:44 PM
Try reading the original Nancy Drew hardbacks. I think she holds her own pretty well in those. The Hidden Staircase and The Invisible Intruder are two of my favorites.

I did. Until I started reading the Hardy Boys I thought she was cool! 8) Then Frank and Joe changed that. . .  ;)

MacGyver

I don't know why I as a male am having to defend her- LOL ;D
but Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys are both cool. 8)
Check out www.nancydrewsleuth.com for more on why Nancy Drew is still relevant and a cool character.
(And I have read a few Nancy Drew books here and there, but I have read way more of The Hardy Boys since I'm primarily a fan of that book series of course.) But they are literary siblings, so I appreciate both of them.