What's the last book or item you added to your Hardy Boys collection?

Started by MacGyver, March 20, 2013, 08:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

I think what's been released on VHS & DVD have been the intro segments where they just introduce the cast and what the serial will be about.

I do have a projector but it needs a little work.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

tomswift2002

I just got in the mail Dead On Target, Evil, Inc, Cult of Crime, The Lazarus Plot, Edge of Destruction, Hostages of Hate & The Haunted Fort in paperback by Armada from Australia.  It still interesting how The Lazarus Plot uses Brian Kotzky's cover, but flipped it, so that Frank is on the right, rather than the left.  Armada did the same for the cover for The Genius Thieves as well (the reversed GT cover also appeared on a couple omnibuses.)

Also, I noticed that with The Haunted Fort, on the copyright page it has a 1973 copyright to Simon & Schuster.  (The copy I got is the sea dragon cover from 1992.)  My North American version has a 1965 Copyright to Grosset & Dunlap, so the copyright should've been 1965, not 1973.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

tomswift2002

Just got in the mail today the physical #142 Lost In Gator Swamp.  I've been looking for it for the past 25 years, but I never could find it.  This is one of the few The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories that I have not read.  But the cover has always been an interesting cover.

The book was digitally released on January 29, 2013 after having been out of print for nearly a decade.

MacGyver

Quote from: tomswift2002 on April 04, 2022, 04:12:28 PMJust got in the mail today the physical #142 Lost In Gator Swamp.  I've been looking for it for the past 25 years, but I never could find it.  This is one of the few The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories that I have not read.  But the cover has always been an interesting cover.

The book was digitally released on January 29, 2013 after having been out of print for nearly a decade.
Wow! Nice to finally find this Hardy Boys book! Hope the read is worth the wait!  :)  8)
   I was able to complete a set of Digests some years back. I have read all The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories From 1 to 190 in some form or another, but that's over the course of childhood to adulthood. (And I should clarify that I have read most all the revised editions, though I have read some of the original text too.)
    I am at a place where I am content with my Hardy Boys collection but there are a few things here and there I wouldn't mind getting if I run across them for cheap.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on April 05, 2022, 12:40:26 AMWow! Nice to finally find this Hardy Boys book! Hope the read is worth the wait!  :)  8)
   I was able to complete a set of Digests some years back. I have read all The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories From 1 to 190 in some form or another, but that's over the course of childhood to adulthood. (And I should clarify that I have read most all the revised editions, though I have read some of the original text too.)
    I am at a place where I am content with my Hardy Boys collection but there are a few things here and there I wouldn't mind getting if I run across them for cheap.

I'm still trying to fill in a few spots.

But that's one of the reasons that I've been reading the series from The Tower Treasure through to Motocross Madness, since there are titles that I haven't read like Robot Revenge or Gator.

MacGyver

Quote from: MacGyver on April 05, 2022, 12:40:26 AMI am at a place where I am content with my Hardy Boys collection but there are a few things here and there I wouldn't mind getting if I run across them for cheap.
Case in point- I just added a Hardy Boys collectible book to my collection the other day when I ran across the "Hardy Boys' Favorite Classic" version of Treasure Island at a used book store for only a few dollars.
 :)  8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Just got the scarce dust jacketed version of The Crimson Flame published by Wanderer Books in 1983.  It's an ex-library copy, but while the dj Isn't pristine, it's also not as not as ratty as a few other copies I've seen.

Just to give you a sense of inflation over the last 40 years, the dj contains a price of $8.95.  That's equivalent to $25.57 in 2022.  By comparison the new Hardy Boys dj versions are $17.99 US.

MacGyver

Quote from: tomswift2002 on April 14, 2022, 07:05:40 AMJust got the scarce dust jacketed version of The Crimson Flame published by Wanderer Books in 1983.  It's an ex-library copy, but while the dj Isn't pristine, it's also not as not as ratty as a few other copies I've seen.

Just to give you a sense of inflation over the last 40 years, the dj contains a price of $8.95.  That's equivalent to $25.57 in 2022.  By comparison the new Hardy Boys dj versions are $17.99 US.
Those are hard to find in any condition. Cool find! :-)

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on April 14, 2022, 09:21:52 PMThose are hard to find in any condition. Cool find! :-)

Yeah I'm on the look out for them.  The two really scarce ones are Revenge of The Desert Phantom & The Skyfire Puzzle.  There might've only been 5,000 or less of each of those books printed by Wanderer (in the UK & Australia they were printed by Angus & Robertson, and there seems to have been more hardcover printings of those books than the American Wanderer books).

tomswift2002

Just got the scarce audio cassette version of Here Come The Hardy Boys.  It's period, since the tape has paper labels on it, a trend that didn't extend much past-1975, since in the mid-70's, a lot of tape has been silk screened because silk screening prices dropped, and the plastic case enclosing the reels is a white plastic case.  The clear-plastic see-through cases started to be used in the early- to mid-80's.

MacGyver

Quote from: tomswift2002 on June 10, 2022, 07:47:22 PMJust got the scarce audio cassette version of Here Come The Hardy Boys.  It's period, since the tape has paper labels on it, a trend that didn't extend much past-1975, since in the mid-70's, a lot of tape has been silk screened because silk screening prices dropped, and the plastic case enclosing the reels is a white plastic case.  The clear-plastic see-through cases started to be used in the early- to mid-80's.

Cool! I didn't realize that had even been released to cassette tape!

tomswift2002

Just got in the mail today the LP version of Here Come The Hardy Boys.  I can finally make out the words on the balloons as being from Chicago's Lincoln Park Zoo.

Also I just noticed on the back cover it's stamped "Not For Sale Promotion Use Only".  That makes this copy really scarce.

tomswift2002

Just received in the mail this morning The Witchmaster's Key the scarce 1980 Collins hardcover edition.  Collins only did one print run of this book in 1980, and they had Grosset & Dunlap actually print it in the US, along with #'s 49-54 & 56 in the Collins ordering as Collins was about to loose the hardcover rights.  Now then, the Collins version of The Witchmaster's Key is also infamous in the series as it is the only title in both the Collins and Grosset & Dunlap orderings to have the same number, 55, and the 1980 Collins hardcover removed the box with the number from the front cover, even though it didn't need to be, unlike the Collins printing of The Sting of the Scorpion that needed the number removed, because Scorpion moved up 2 numbers from 58 to 56.

After 1980, The Witchmaster's Key would not be available from Collins until 1991!  So in between British and Commonwealth (except Canadians) would've been relying on imports of this title and the other G&D printed Collins books.  http://hardyboys.co.uk/gallery/55.php#co

I also received in the mail this morning the Collins hardcover edition of #47 The Jungle Pyramid.  This is the original 1979 printing, as again #'s 37-48 were reprinted with red spines in Italy in the 1980's for some reason, and I think I've got JP in red, but this is the 1979 edition. http://hardyboys.co.uk/history/collins2.php

MacGyver

Quote from: tomswift2002 on June 30, 2022, 08:12:59 AMJust received in the mail this morning The Witchmaster's Key the scarce 1980 Collins hardcover edition.  Collins only did one print run of this book in 1980, and they had Grosset & Dunlap actually print it in the US, along with #'s 49-54 & 56 in the Collins ordering as Collins was about to loose the hardcover rights.  Now then, the Collins version of The Witchmaster's Key is also infamous in the series as it is the only title in both the Collins and Grosset & Dunlap orderings to have the same number, 55, and the 1980 Collins hardcover removed the box with the number from the front cover, even though it didn't need to be, unlike the Collins printing of The Sting of the Scorpion that needed the number removed, because Scorpion moved up 2 numbers from 58 to 56.

After 1980, The Witchmaster's Key would not be available from Collins until 1991!  So in between British and Commonwealth (except Canadians) would've been relying on imports of this title and the other G&D printed Collins books.  http://hardyboys.co.uk/gallery/55.php#co
It seems like the 55 is still on the spine though, at least in the picture on the site. It seems like it would have been easier for Collins to just leave the front cover of this book alone.

MacGyver

Quote from: tomswift2002 on June 30, 2022, 08:12:59 AMI also received in the mail this morning the Collins hardcover edition of #47 The Jungle Pyramid.  This is the original 1979 printing, as again #'s 37-48 were reprinted with red spines in Italy in the 1980's for some reason, and I think I've got JP in red, but this is the 1979 edition. http://hardyboys.co.uk/history/collins2.php

Cool! I've got a few of those red spine books- The Clue of the Hissing Serpent and The Secret of Wildcat Swamp.