#41 Highway Robbery (31st Anniversary Review)

Started by tomswift2002, July 14, 2021, 05:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Published: July 1990
Publisher: Archway Paperbacks (1990-2000) no digital edition
Author: Unknown as of July 2021

Plot: When you pack a valuable load, you always ride with danger.

The highway can be a very dangerous place -- especially when you're carrying a heavy cargo. The Hardys have gone undercover, determined to crack a truck hijacking scheme, but a ruthless gang of thugs are just as determined to run them off the road.

The hijackers are spreading terror on the interstates, and whoever gets in their way could end up on a one-way dead-end street. Someone's going to eat asphalt, but Frank and Joe are prepared. They're gunning the engines and riding the roads on eighteen wheels of diesel-powered chrome and steel.

Review:  This feels like a story that was transplanted from the Mystery Stories to the Casefiles but it still works very well, and is one of the classic Casefiles!  Again, there's no Network or Assassins in this story (actually they haven't been in a Casefile since #28 Countdown to Terror, which, when compared to the Undercover Brothers, just shows how the Casefiles could have those organizations could be main parts of the series, but the series could also get away from them for a while).
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Glad to see another review up. I don't remember much about this one other than I'm pretty sure Tony Prito makes an appearance. Does his dad's construction company get mentioned?
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

It's funny, but in 1990 there were 2 technology heavy Hardy Boys released: Terminal Shock & Highway Robbery!  And now in 2021 the "oow & awws" in both books over various electronics seems funny, but it made sense in 1989-90.  Highway Robbery opens with Frank and Joe arguing over their tastes in music at the record store in the mall!  Then Tony pipes up and talks about he's been saving to get a brand-new, top of the line CD player and how expensive they are!  And then another high school friend overhears them and tells them about a new clearance store that opened just outside of town, and this friend was able to get the same CD player that Tony wants for a fraction of the cost! 
So the Hardy's and Tony head out to investigate and discover a place for selling stolen electronics.  And it turns out that the merchandise came from shipments that were hijacked from Tony's uncle's shipping firm.  So the Hardy's go undercover at Tony's uncle's shipping business to stop the crooks before the business is forced to go bankrupt!

I was finding that this book was reminding me of Trapped At Sea, albeit without the "C"-plot!😂. Also, in terms of Casefiles continuity, this book seems to take place between Edge of Destruction & The Crowning Terror.  Mentioned is made of Joe not being legally able to get a trucker's license because he's 17 while Frank at 18 can.

Rating:  8.5/10
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca