#21 Street Spies (30th Anniversary Review)

Started by tomswift2002, March 01, 2019, 07:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Street Spies
Written By: Susan & Bill Albert
Other Hardy Boys Books Written By Authors: Casefiles #31 Without A Trace
Published: November 1988

Plot: Frank and Joe are asked by the CEO of a giant electronics firm to go undercover at a bike courier company.  The CEO's firm uses the bike courier company to send plans and prototypes between two offices that his firm owns and runs.  However, someone has been leaking trade secrets to World Wide Technologies competitor, MUX and it appears to be a bike courier.

Review:  I re-read this for the first time in a few years a few weeks ago, and I must say, this is one story that is not really staying in my mind.  I just really didn't find it interesting for a Casefile. 

One thing that I did find interesting is that it's been over a year since Edge Of Destruction and Dead On Target occurred, as Joe remembers (on page 32) that Iola has been dead for over a year, and in Chapter 10, Joe talks, via police car radio with Samuel Peterson, Chief of the New York Police, he mentions the events of Edge Of Destruction, which the officers in the car say occurred "last year".  So, instead of Joe being 17 in the series, he is now 18 (and Frank is 19, even though the internal text still says 17 & 18 for both).

Rating: 5 out of 10
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Interesting note about the ages- this is a series where things like that are not always consistent. I haven't read Street Spies in forever but I recall enjoying it well enough- maybe for introducing MUX! That group shows up again in another book, doesn't it?
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

CalvinKnox

I liked how Street Spies showed the passage of time in that way, and the mentioning of Peterson, (who appeared in two other Casefiles?)

SkyWarp

Quote from: CalvinKnox on March 06, 2019, 12:57:08 PM
.... Peterson, (who appeared in two other Casefiles?)

Yes, at least that I can recall  Samuel Peterson