#15 Blood Relations (30th Anniversary Review)

Started by tomswift2002, August 16, 2018, 08:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Written By: Unknown
Published May 1988

Plot: Greg and Mike Rawley are the new boys at Bayport High. Adopted by the wealthy Walter Rawley, the boys fit in just a little too well. Rivalry grows between them and the Hardys when Callie Shaw grows fond of Greg, and Mike is a challenge to Joe on the football field. Then Greg and Mike's mother, Linda, discovers the diary of Rawley's first wife. The diary leads Linda Rawley to suspect her mild-mannered husband of being a spy, or even a murderer. Did the late Mrs. Rawley really die of natural causes? Fearing for their mother's welfare, Greg and Mike turn to the Hardys for help. And when Linda Rawley is kidnapped, Frank and Joe pose as her sons. Could this turn into a very lethal family affair?

Review: I'm just starting this book.  I've read it a few times; it's in my Top 50 Casefiles at #46 (compared to Too Many Traitors which is at #48, The Borgia Dagger at #45 & Perfect Getaway at #44).
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

It's been quite a while since I've read this one so I don't remember much. I did notice though that #84 False Alarm also involves a new pair of brothers in town who quickly become rivals to Frank and Joe- though I believe both that one and Blood Relations have different outcomes in the end regarding the friendship relationship of all involved.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

The character of Dunn in Blood Relations, in my mind, looks like Snakes from the movie in Home Alone 1 (Angels With Filthy Souls) who asks for "10%". (https://homealone.wikia.com/wiki/Snakes)
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

I just finished this book today.  It was a laborious re-read, as I found that having read it years ago, I was recalling that the Hardy's had been "hired" by the criminals and I'm not a fan of this type of story.  It is like The Jungle Pyramid & The Stone Idol and the UB series were the boys are chasing someone that they already know.  It doesn't add for a good re-read, and even at the end of the book the first time, I was let down because I felt like the author had kind of cheated. 

Of course one interesting thing I found during this re-read, was that on page 77, Laura Hardy herself mentions that she is employed by the Bayport Planning Committee.  Basically it deals with Urban Planning of the City. 

Rating: 3.5 out of 10

(After this re-read, I think Blood Relations has been knocked out of my Top 50 Hardy Boys Casefiles, it might fit better down in my 101-110 range.)