What kind of medical training do Frank and Joe have?

Started by Hardy Boys UB Fan, January 25, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on February 14, 2011, 06:45:17 PM
Wasn't it in the UB Foul Play?

Maybe it was. The UB novels have all sort of blurred together in my mind.

tomswift2002

I seem to recall that one of the UB's even points to the possibility that Frank and Joe in the series might not even be older than 12 or 13 which seems rather unlikely.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on February 14, 2011, 07:59:42 PM
I seem to recall that one of the UB's even points to the possibility that Frank and Joe in the series might not even be older than 12 or 13 which seems rather unlikely.

Which one?

tomswift2002

I have to agree with SDL on this one.  All the UB's seem to blur together, but I recall typing about it in a post on here, so wherever that post is, I probably wrote which book it was in.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on February 14, 2011, 08:02:57 PM
I have to agree with SDL on this one.  All the UB's seem to blur together, but I recall typing about it in a post on here, so wherever that post is, I probably wrote which book it was in.

Okay. I'll just search around myself, then.

MacGyver

I seriously doubt Fenton would be sending his 12 and 13 year old sons off on dangerous missions against terrorists and other such criminals. The Three Investigators managed to make that seem believable enough with their level of cases (which didn't generally always go to the same level that The Hardy Boys- though in the case of the UB books- in some cases, T3I surpasses them.)
Frank and Joe have been 18 and 17, respectively, in the revised Original books, Digests and Casefiles and Supermystery '88 and Ultra Thriller books. (And any other related spinoffs.) In the original text of The Hardy Boys Originals, Joe and Frank were 15 and 16, respectively. Okay yeah- and of course in the Clues Brothers and Secret Files books, Frank and Joe are 8 and 7, respectively.
I would think they would keep Frank and Joe at 18 and 17, respectively in the UB books as well- but I don't know if it's been definitively stated. But yeah- they have to be at least old enough to drive- which is going to be 16 in most places. (Though I had a driver's permit at 15- but I think some laws have changed since then. It also depends on what state in the USA or what country you're in.)
   Do the graphic novels state their ages somewhere? I can't recall if it's mentioned there either.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

Quote from: MacGyver on February 15, 2011, 01:45:21 AM
I seriously doubt Fenton would be sending his 12 and 13 year old sons off on dangerous missions against terrorists and other such criminals. The Three Investigators managed to make that seem believable enough with their level of cases (which didn't generally always go to the same level that The Hardy Boys- though in the case of the UB books- in some cases, T3I surpasses them.)

But they've never actually gone up against terrorist groups in the UB novels (they have a few times in the graphics but they were never sent on missions against them - the terrorists attacked them). And if we want to talk realistically, I don't think Fenton would be sending his 17 and 18 year old sons on dangerous missions, either. But you have to suspend your disbelieve when it comes to ATAC - and, to be fair, many other aspects of the Hardy World and fiction in general.

MacGyver

True. And I didn't realize they hadn't faced terrorists in the UB books. I guess I was thinking of terrorist groups that showed up in the graphic novels.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

Quote from: MacGyver on February 15, 2011, 02:18:55 AM
True. And I didn't realize they hadn't faced terrorists in the UB books. I guess I was thinking of terrorist groups that showed up in the graphic novels.

Well, you would think that since the Hardys work for a top-secret American crime-fighting government agency, they would fight terrorists but for some reason they haven't.

hardygirl847

18 and 17 are not ages I would send my kids out on dangerous missions either. But I think it's more probable  than 12 and 13. They are also Active TEENS Against Crime. So I guess it depends on how long they plan on being in it. I guess if they were in their  earlier teens, they would be able to be in it longer. I just don't see them being that young though. Even if they don't encounter the Assassins, it's still easier to believe they are 18 and 17. Yes, they need to be able to drive and also travel alone. I realize that younger kids can travel alone too but it's different. They are traveling without chaperons or supervision. A 12 yr old would probably need that even nowadays.

The only way I even believe the 18 and 17 ages is because they are MUCH more mature than that. The UBs make them seem younger and less mature.

I still like to picture them in their late teens. :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: hardygirl847 on February 16, 2011, 01:59:51 PM
They are also Active TEENS Against Crime.

I still like to picture them in their late teens. :)

Uhh LOL it's AMERICAN teens against crime.........And yeah, no matter what series I read, I imagine them at least 17 and 18 :)
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

hardygirl847

LOL You caught me!! Sorry....I apparently don't read enough UBs. Haha!

I also think of them as 17 and 18 unless it's the Secret Files or Clues Brothers. Those are definitely when they are much younger.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

JoeHardyRocks

Haha it's okay! And I've never read the secret files or the Clues Brothers.....:(  Should I? They have a bunch at my library...
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

MacGyver

Sure- why not? Give them a try. It's interesting just to see how they characterize Frank and Joe. Chet Morton also shows up a good bit in The Clues Brothers along with some of the other chums, like Tony Prito. Some of these guys also show up in The Secret Files series too. But in both series, Frank and Joe are explicitly stated as being 8 and 7, respectively.

SDLagent

Originally, Frank and Joe were younger - they were 16 and 15. It wasn't until the 50s that ages became permanently 18 and 17.