Public Domain of the Hardy Boys

Started by SkyWarp, March 25, 2023, 10:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DickRoylet

Quote from: tomswift2002 on May 24, 2023, 07:50:28 AMNo, there's only 3 in the USA PD.  The next 3 books to enter the US PD will be the original texts of The Missing Chums, Hunting For Hidden Gold & The Shore Road Mystery on January 1, 2024, as their 1928 copyrights will expire.

Nope. You forgot Desert Giant.

tomswift2002

Quote from: DickRoylet on May 26, 2023, 08:38:52 AMNope. You forgot Desert Giant.
Nope, Desert Giant is still under copyright in the US.  Desert Giant came out in 1961, and as far as I know its copyright was renewed in 1989, so it won't enter the US public domain until January 1, 2057. 

According to the US Copyright office, it looks like the Stratemeyer Syndicate renewed its copyright in 1984.

https://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?Search_Arg=Mystery+of+the+desert+giant&Search_Code=TALL&PID=H2p6tXaZFL67ofTJ8IfvWgBHMX6t&SEQ=20230527125127&CNT=25&HIST=1

And from what I can tell, the James Buechler who wrote the book is still alive (he was only about 19 when the book came out), so Desert Giant's Canadian copyright will not expire until sometime after 2094.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

DickRoylet

Nope. Transfer != renewal.
Buechler graduated Harvard and got married in 1955. He wasn't thirteen then...

tomswift2002

Quote from: DickRoylet on May 27, 2023, 06:19:54 PMNope. Transfer != renewal.
Buechler graduated Harvard and got married in 1955. He wasn't thirteen then...
Which Buechler are you referring to?  I've asked other people who met the Buechler who wrote Giant and Owl, and those were some of his first books that he wrote after graduating high school when he was 18 or 19. 
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

tomswift2002

Quote from: Svenska on June 06, 2023, 01:29:28 PMMy goodness.
Look at https://www.amazon.com/That-Heaven-There-Should-Place/dp/0963943707
for his biography.

That's not the same Buechler who wrote "Desert Giant".  If the Buechler who wrote "Desert Giant" in 1960 was married in 1955, he would've been 14 when he married. 

And "Desert Giant" won't enter the US public domain until January 1, 2056.

DickRoylet

You never seem to tire of making a complete and utter fool out of yourself.

SkyWarp

Quote from: DickRoylet on June 07, 2023, 11:58:12 PMYou never seem to tire of making a complete and utter fool out of yourself.

There is a place for discussion and debate, but not comments like this.  Consider this a gentle warning. 

Also, let me just say this here as well for whoever it may apply, having more than one active account is not permitted. 

tomswift2002

Here's another Hardy Boys in the Canadian Public Domain: "The Hooded Hawk Mystery" (1954).  It was written by Charles S. Strong who died in 1962.  So it entered the Public Domain on January 1, 2013.

Brentski

Quote from: tomswift2002 on September 17, 2023, 12:22:30 PMHere's another Hardy Boys in the Canadian Public Domain: "The Hooded Hawk Mystery" (1954).  It was written by Charles S. Strong who died in 1962.  So it entered the Public Domain on January 1, 2013.

I didn't find the OT on Archive.org and I don't have a copy any longer. I'll have to try to track down a copy on eBay to see if Jerry and Phil are in it. I think Jerry is going to be my albatross (see The Rime of the Ancient Mariner). I used him as a tech expert in part because he was under-used in the canon. Now this fact is narrowing my options for gaining legal status in Canada for my series. Ah, well. You lay your bet and take your chances.

tomswift2002

Quote from: Brentski on September 17, 2023, 11:29:56 PMI didn't find the OT on Archive.org and I don't have a copy any longer. I'll have to try to track down a copy on eBay to see if Jerry and Phil are in it. I think Jerry is going to be my albatross (see The Rime of the Ancient Mariner). I used him as a tech expert in part because he was under-used in the canon. Now this fact is narrowing my options for gaining legal status in Canada for my series. Ah, well. You lay your bet and take your chances.

Yeah it's one of those terrible things with copyright.  The main problem in Canada right now with the Hardy Boys is that the originating stories are still under copyright.  The stories that are in the public domain are derivatives of those originating stories. 

If you saw the other topic, I pointed out how the Tom Swift Sr series has the first 30 books in the series in the public domain in both countries (actually they are public domain in most countries with 70 year copyrights, so even in Britain people can use the stories without getting permission).

MysteryFan89

Quote from: Brentski on September 17, 2023, 11:29:56 PMI didn't find the OT on Archive.org and I don't have a copy any longer. I'll have to try to track down a copy on eBay to see if Jerry and Phil are in it. I think Jerry is going to be my albatross (see The Rime of the Ancient Mariner). I used him as a tech expert in part because he was under-used in the canon. Now this fact is narrowing my options for gaining legal status in Canada for my series. Ah, well. You lay your bet and take your chances.

Is that a book you've wrote or working on?

tomswift2002

Quote from: MysteryFan89 on September 18, 2023, 11:28:10 AMIs that a book you've wrote or working on?

"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is an English poem from 1798.

Here's Magneto reading it:

https://youtu.be/1raSUYAr0s0?si=XveZ3z0VxFl2tVOQ

MysteryFan89

Quote from: tomswift2002 on September 18, 2023, 11:50:38 AM"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is an English poem from 1798.

Here's Magneto reading it:

https://youtu.be/1raSUYAr0s0?si=XveZ3z0VxFl2tVOQ

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the link.