#45 In Self Defense (31st Anniversary Review)

Started by tomswift2002, November 16, 2021, 11:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Published: November 1990
Publisher: Archway Paperbacks (1990-2000)
Author: Rick Oliver
Other Hardy Boys by Author: Casefiles #33 Collision Course, #40 Fright Wave, #50 Power Play, #59 Open Season, #69 Mayhem In Motion, #76 Ring Of Evil #1 Tagged For Terror, #77 Ring Of Evil #2 Survival Run, #78* Ring Of Evil #3 The Pacific Conspiracy, #80* Dead Of Night, #85 Winner Take All, #88 Inferno Of Fear, #93 Mission: Mayhem, #94* A Taste For Terror, #98 Murder By Magic, #100 True Thriller 
*possible author due to stories containing elements and characters that appeared in confirmed books

Plot: When you're on enemy turf you'd better be ready to hold your ground!

The Hardys pay a visit to Bayport's newest martial arts school and find that someone's trying to run the place out of the neighborhood. The Scorpions, a tough street gang, say the building is on their turf, and the school's students have already felt the Scorpion's sting.

The home boys may want to rumble with the Hardy boys, but when high explosives come into the picture, Frank and Joe figure there's more than a street fight at stake. The unknown enemy is willing to use deadly force to destroy the school, and the Hardys will have to get down to business -- and give a lesson of their own.

Review:  In Self-Defense is kind of a strange book in the Hardy Boys Casefiles.  This book feels like it should take place between Evil, Inc. & Cult of Crime or Cult of Crime & The Lazarus Plot, or sometime in the very early Casefiles.  It's almost like Will The Real Santa Claus... in the 1977-1979 Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew Mysteries is set prior to the whole series, but it wasn't made and aired until the middle of Season 2, so it's in the middle of the series, even though the story has Nancy, George and Carson meeting Ned for the first time, even though Ned had appeared in the series before. 

Also, this feels like it could've easily have been the mystery #86 from the Hardy Boys Mystery Stories, since there's no mention of the Network, no mention of Iola's death, there is very little to make this a Casefiles-specific story.  In some ways it almost felt like a continuation of The Shadow Killers, #92 in the Mystery Stories.  It also felt a little like the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #93: The Case of the Safecracker's Secret, since part of the plot involved a bank that Chet Morton just happened to work at!

Otherwise, when I look at Rick Oliver's list of Hardy Boys books, this is not one of the better Casefiles.  It's not bad, but it's just so-so.  Even though Rick Oliver was one of the Casefiles most-prolific authors, I've found him to be a so-so author.  His books feel like they were written more for a pay check than anything else.

Rating:  6.0 out of 10
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

I recall liking In Self-Defense quite a bit as a kid. I recall it as a favourite for me. That may have just been because of the fighting and martial arts connection though. It probably reminded me enough of Street Fighter and Double Dragon to make it interesting.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"