The Hardy Boys - S1E11 - No Getting Out

Started by SkyWarp, December 07, 2020, 12:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyWarp

We learn that some of the pay phones in town are just now getting updated to touch buttons in stead of rotary dial.  It is these little tidbits that help remind us that we are still in the 1980's during this series.

It would appear that "Biff" is adopted.  I don't think this has anything to do with the plot or story, but is another one of those small background characteristics that keep getting shared out to help us care about these characters.   

Just two episodes left and we are still trying to figure out who the real bad guys are. 

And to keep up with my thoughts on the last episode, the Tri-Force pieces are finding new owners all the time and the dynamic keeps changing because of this.  Good story telling here. 

MacGyver

Here are my observations for this episode. Due to the urgency of trying to find Joe and Biff, everything seems to move pretty quickly at the start of the episode. However, it then slows down and settles into a pace as we go back and forth between Frank and Joe and other characters.
I like that Frank calls a conversation he and Joe had with Gloria about the history of their family "heavy". (Perhaps a slight Back to the Future reference, using Marty McFly's favourite phrase?)
    Also, Joe and Biff go to Demon's Paw, which would certainly seem like a reference to Mystery at Devil's Paw. Too bad Joe left his walkie talkie at home- but that actually helps them because Frank is able to use it to communicate.
   I like the bit between JB and Wilt, discussing how rotary telephones are getting upgraded to touchtone telephones.
   The only music credited for this episode is not from the '80s but rather the '60s, with A Great Big Thing by Barbara & The Browns playing, a 1968 song from this soul group.
    The episode revealed yet more twists and continued to make the story even more interesting. :) 8)

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SkyWarp

After rewatching and adding in the details to the encyclopedia of this episode, I am not confident that the Television station is WXCD and that means this would take place in the United States.