The Hardy Boys - S1E7 - A Figure in Hiding

Started by SkyWarp, December 05, 2020, 03:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyWarp

There isn't a lot of new regular character background information revealed in this episode, but it there is definitely a lot of story/plot moving forward. 

This episode is completely centered around Rosegrage Preparatory school on one end and Chief Ezra Collig on the other end. 

We do learn that Chief Collig appears to live in a lower end part of town and a very small somewhat dumpy house.  Although his door to his house has a very large doggy door, it is unknown if he actually has a dog at this time. 

Having the boys be separated in age has given this series perhaps a better chance to do two story lines (although completely connected) in a better way.  They can act and interact with people completely differently this way and can in a sense perhaps reach out to two different audiences. 

MacGyver

I suppose it's safe to assume this episode has nothing to do with the book it's named after? I do love that at least some of the episodes are drawing titles from actual Hardy Boys books. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

After watching this episode, I only have a few notes to add. Frank and Callie investigate more at Rose Grave and Joe and Biff investigate the piece of cloth they find and match it up to a police coat. We also find out about more connections between the villains and a lot of hidden things going on in the town.
    I again appreciated seeing some '80s references. Joe uses a microcassette recorder to try to glean a confession. Chet is seen playing an arcade game at Wilt's. It's called "Conquest 2: Thunder Roar" but it seems to be an invented game for the show. There is also another machine and poster with a character that looks really close to Pac-Man.
Joe and Phil attend a meeting of the local chapter of the US Naval Sea Cadet Corps, which is indeed a real thing. Callie declares that she's morally opposed to hair metal. Chet clarifies that Callie is a music snob and if it's not new wave, it's not worth it. The new wave movement was mainly hapoening in the early 1980s and that helps cement the setting as being early '80s, likely 1983 or 1984, as a poster in another episode indicated. It's also neat hearing some '80s slang being used, like "rad". :) 8)
(Of course, I also hear some phraseology that seems more modern so it seems the writers slip at times on that front but that's okay.) Joe also speaks about his plans for his future house- trampoline, pizza oven and 5 TVs so he can watch all his favourite shows at once. That vaguely reminds me of a line from Back to the Future Part II, where the Marty of 2015 tells his teenage son that when he was a teenager- in the '80s- if he wanted to watch two shows at once he had to put two TVs together.
    And there's an obvious tribute to the books I can't believe I didn't catch until now. The dean of the prep school is named Paul McFarlane. It would seem likely the last name is in reference to the first ghostwriter for The Hardy Boys, Leslie McFarlane. :) 8)
    And even more obvious is the small stack of the classic blue spine hardback Hardy Boys books at the house of Rupert Khan's aunt! :) 8)
    And there is also another '80s song- Let's Go By Wang Chung! Of course, there's also a 2015 song called Golden by Ben Kunder. However, it's the '80s song that's depicted as playing on the radio. It's a 1986 song so that could potentially set the series in that year, but I don't think the producers are expecting viewers to delve that deeply into it.
    This was another good episode that confirmed some suspicions and opened up more possibilities.

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

I haven't seen the show yet, but Leslie McFarlane was the author for the original 1937 version of A Figure In Hiding.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

SkyWarp

SkyWarp

So they must have used the same police car for several different scenes.  The car number of Jesse Hooper when Joe is trying to get his toolbox stuff back is 190.  And the Car number of Collig when he arrives home in this episode is also 190. 

MacGyver

I would guess it should be WXCD. In the USA, television and radio call letters always start with either a "W" or "K" (or "N" or "A", but those are only for military broadcasts).
https://www.rd.com/article/radio-stations-k-w/#:~:text=In%201912%2C%20several%20countries%20attended,K%2C%20N%2C%20and%20A.

SkyWarp

Quote from: MacGyver on December 30, 2020, 04:09:33 AM
I would guess it should be WXCD. In the USA, television and radio call letters always start with either a "W" or "K" (or "N" or "A", but those are only for military broadcasts).
https://www.rd.com/article/radio-stations-k-w/#:~:text=In%201912%2C%20several%20countries%20attended,K%2C%20N%2C%20and%20A.

That is what I first thought, but as I go back through this show, I think they are purposely trying to make this show appear as though it could take place in either Canada or the United States.  The "Sea Cadets" are the main example I think that really shows this. 

MacGyver

Yes- it does seem there is a subtle deference to Canadian viewers at times, since it is a Canadian show and all. However, American currency is clearly seen being used in some episodes.
   Here's what I found on Canadian broadcasting call letters.
https://www.broadcasting-history.ca/call-letters-canadian-stations

Canada doesn't seem to have any starting with a "U".

SkyWarp

Quote from: MacGyver on December 30, 2020, 12:46:53 PM
Yes- it does seem there is a subtle deference to Canadian viewers at times, since it is a Canadian show and all. However, American currency is clearly seen being used in some episodes.
   Here's what I found on Canadian broadcasting call letters.
https://www.broadcasting-history.ca/call-letters-canadian-stations

Canada doesn't seem to have any starting with a "U".

I think they could have used "U" for two reasons (assuming it is a U).

1) To prevent any REAL tv station from being used even in the future
2) To give it more appeal to those few people that like to think the Hardy Boys are based in their own country. 

MacGyver

It's possible. I was just sharing what is in place in the real world for Canadian broadcasting letters in use. However, since it's a fictional world, the creators can do whatever they want.
   And yes- I think you made good points on both reasons.

SkyWarp

After watching Episode 11, I believe the call letters are WXCD.